Pettersson +13, while current roster total: -55, current roster avarage: -2,5

tyhee

Feb 5, 2015
+/- is generally viewed as a useless stat. I don't think it's entirely useless, but it is isn't all that far from it.

Goals at even strength aren't a frequent event and there are so many things besides a player's own actions that affect whether a goal is scored that the player's own ability is drowned out in the mess of other things going on. Even if one took years to get a large sample size, players play against different opposition, with different teammates and in different roles.

The +/- in this case may be indicative of his stellar play, but in this very small (for this stat) sample it need not have been.

Reactions: Brock Olli Juolevi

Intangibos

High-End Intangibos
Apr 5, 2010
Burnaby
Pettersson will single handedly save Benning's job to the detriment of the rest of the franchise

I still love him though

Sad nobody nobody seems to question a team that is propped up by a rookie who, while extremely unlikelyl, may not have made the team. I for one am SHOCKED that IMac hasn't written about this... Shocked...

Reactions: Jack Burton

CherryToke

Oct 18, 2008
Coquitlam
Those stats also say that Josh Leivo has a higher WAR than Bo Horvat this year and that Chris Tanev is the 2nd worst regular defender in the NHL and far worse than Erik Gudbranson.

Pettersson is great ... but those numbers are rubbish.

Yeah I wasn't too sure about WAR in Hockey. I know it's useful in baseball but that is an individual sport for the most part. Hockey not so much.

Bertuzzzi44

Jun 26, 2018
+/- isn’t a very useful stat because there are too many variables in play, but when Pettersson is +13 and the average of the rest of the roster is -2.5 and a combined -55, damn that’s a huge gap, this isn’t coincidence, Pettersson is on another level.

MS

1%er
Mar 18, 2002
Vancouver, BC
Yeah I wasn't too sure about WAR in Hockey. I know it's useful in baseball but that is an individual sport for the most part. Hockey not so much.

It’s an interesting concept because it’s such a great tool in baseball but if there’s a way to calculate it accurately (and there probably isn’t) they still are miles away from figuring it out.

Verviticus

Jul 23, 2010
+/- is generally viewed as a useless stat. I don't think it's entirely useless, but it is isn't all that far from it.

Goals at even strength aren't a frequent event and there are so many things besides a player's own actions that affect whether a goal is scored that the player's own ability is drowned out in the mess of other things going on. Even if one took years to get a large sample size, players play against different opposition, with different teammates and in different roles.

The +/- in this case may be indicative of his stellar play, but in this very small (for this stat) sample it need not have been.

its still useless because in even a case like this, we already have such an overwhelming in-your-face amount of evidence that it cant possibly add anything

on top of the plenty of more statistically rigourous reasons ofc

Fire Benning

diaper filled piss baby
Oct 2, 2016
Hell
Those stats also say that Josh Leivo has a higher WAR than Bo Horvat this year and that Chris Tanev is the 2nd worst regular defender in the NHL and far worse than Erik Gudbranson.

Pettersson is great ... but those numbers are rubbish.

Yeah WAR is a metric designed for Baseball. Completely different game, not sure it's as applicable to Hockey, at least not yet.

Ad

Upcoming events

Ad

Ad