Petteri Simila

Tormentor

Dec 27, 2007
Too Far
He has improved from last season and could eventually turn out to be something, at least in Europe. Just don't expect to see him in North America any time soon.

Niko Hovinen could be the next tall Finnish goalie to move to North America on the footsteps of Pekka Rinne, Mikko Koskinen and Jussi Rynnäs.

Mathletic

Feb 28, 2002
Ste-Foy
Niko Hovinen could be the next tall Finnish goalie to move to North America on the footsteps of Pekka Rinne, Mikko Koskinen and Jussi Rynnäs.

I asked about him a while ago on the Wild board and they didn't seem to crazy about him. I like him a lot. What's up with him? Do the Wild still hold his rights?

Tormentor

Dec 27, 2007
Too Far
What's up with him?
It's his first season as a starting goalie in SM-liiga and he's doing well. He's playing for the last team in the standings, and still posting good stats (40-gpi, 3-so, 2,67-gaa, .9199-svs%) and helping his team fight for wins. The former Thrashers goalie Pasi Nurminen is the goalie coach of Pelicans and helped Antti Niemi turn into a NHL goalie, so it will be interesting to see if he manages to do the same with Hovinen.

Do the Wild still hold his rights?
Nope, he's a free agent.

Analyzer*

At least he was a 7th round, last pick of the draft, unlike Missiaen....

montreal

Go Habs Go
Mar 21, 2002
www.youtube.com
We don't have the rights to Missiaen anymore, right?

correct

He has improved from last season and could eventually turn out to be something, at least in Europe. Just don't expect to see him in North America any time soon.

I'd be a bit suprised if the Habs sign him, but they are thin on goalie prospects so you never know.

montreal

Go Habs Go
Mar 21, 2002
www.youtube.com
True. Should hate management for taking him. Not sure what they ever saw in him.

I guess it was the size thing, the Habs are really good at finding goalies throughout their history, but I never understood what they saw in guys like Simila, Missiaen, Mayer, Michaud, and Lacasse. Guess we can't complain when they draft Price, Halak, Vokoun, Garon, Theodore plus all the greats of the past but wow does our goalie prospect pool stink now.

Jack DiBiase

Team Iceland Coach
Nov 15, 2008
He has been very underwhelming, but I wouldn't count Similä out just yet. Compared to guys like Rinne, Niemi etc, he is not much behind. He is still very young and, if he learns to use his size, he could become something.

BTW, how do the rights to Euro players work in the new CBA? Formerly it was a lifetime, but now we see European draftees sign as a free agent to some other team, not the one who drafted them.

...wow does our goalie prospect pool stink now.
Agreed, but we should have Price for 15+ years, so who cares? You can always sign decent back-up UFA-goalies.

EDIT: Also, don't forget we have the rights to the 24-year-old Karri Rämö, a KHL all-star, who likely dreams about playing in the NHL.

Last edited by a moderator:

montreal

Go Habs Go
Mar 21, 2002
www.youtube.com
Agreed, but we should have Price for 15+ years, so who cares? You can always sign decent back-up UFA-goalies.

EDIT: Also, don't forget we have the rights to the 24-year-old Karri Rämö, a KHL all-star, who likely dreams about playing in the NHL.

When it comes to Hab prospects I don't forget anything, but with Ramo, I got to think he's going to get a heck of an offer to stay in Russia so until he comes over I wouldn't count him in our system. I'd love to see him come over (or trade his rights if we can get something of value for the playoff run since we need help) but we'll have to wait and see what happens.

Even though you might have Price for a very long time, it's still a concern that we have next to nothing in form of goalie prospects.

He has been very underwhelming, but I wouldn't count Similä out just yet. Compared to guys like Rinne, Niemi etc, he is not much behind. He is still very young and, if he learns to use his size, he could become something.

BTW, how do the rights to Euro players work in the new CBA? Formerly it was a lifetime, but now we see European draftees sign as a free agent to some other team, not the one who drafted them.

No, they have to sign after 2 years since there's a CBA with Finland, so the Habs need to sign both Finn's before June 1st as Joonas Nättinen will need to be signed as well.

Jack DiBiase

Team Iceland Coach
Nov 15, 2008
When it comes to Hab prospects I don't forget anything
Haha! I know! That was a once in a lifetime opportunity to even try that ;)

I got to think he's going to get a heck of an offer to stay in Russia so until he comes over I wouldn't count him in our system. I'd love to see him come over (or trade his rights if we can get something of value for the playoff run since we need help) but we'll have to wait and see what happens.
True. I wouldn't want to become Price's backup either, if I had a multi-million deal and a guaranteed #1 position in one of the top teams in the world. What about the Habs rights to him? How long until he becomes an UFA?

Even though you might have Price for a very long time, it's still a concern that we have next to nothing in form of goalie prospects.
Agreed.

No, they have to sign after 2 years since there's a CBA with Finland, so the Habs need to sign both Finn's before June 1st as Joonas Nättinen will need to be signed as well.
Ok, thanks for the info. Do you think Similä or Nättinen gets signed in the summer? There should be some room with so many UFA/RFA contracts expiring, but are the 2 Finns worthy of a contract?

Last edited:

montreal

Go Habs Go
Mar 21, 2002
www.youtube.com
True. I wouldn't want to become Price's backup either, if I had a multi-million deal and a guarenteed #1 position in one of the top teams in the world. What about the Habs rights to him? How long until he becomes an UFA?
Ok, thanks for the info. Do you think Similä or Nättinen gets signed in the summer? There should be some room with some may UFA/RFA contracts expring, but are the 2 Finns worthy of a contract?

The Habs hold Ramo's rights till 6/30/2014, so we hold his rights for 3 more seasons after this one.

Hard to say, I would guess it depends on how the contract situation is looking, how close they will be to the 50 contract limit. Right now they have 23 players under contract for next year, 16 RFA's, 9 UFA's, and they either sign or lose the rights to Joe Stejskal and Patrick Johnson. I doubt they sign Johnson but hope they sign Stejskal. Granted I am sure they will lose a few bodies but we'll have to see how many they add. My guess would be that they don't sign Similä, Nättinen perhaps they will be interesting in bring over.

Jack DiBiase

Team Iceland Coach
Nov 15, 2008
The Habs hold Ramo's rights till 6/30/2014, so we hold his rights for 3 more seasons after this one.
Ah, ok. There's no rush then. However, I don't think he has much significant trade value despite his monster KHL stats. If Halak "only" got us Eller (and Schultz), an unproven NHL goalie would probably get a 3rd round pick or a fringe prospect.

My guess would be that they don't sign Similä, Nättinen perhaps they will be interesting in bring over.
I don't think Similä is worth the contract either, despite his potential upside. He is not ready to play at AHL level next season, so what's the point of wasting a spot in him now. Nättinen I hope gets signed, but stay next year in Finland. He needs a healthy season in his home league before coming across the Pond.

I just so badly want someone to represent the bleu and blanc for Le Bleu-Blanc-et-Rouge.

montreal

Go Habs Go
Mar 21, 2002
www.youtube.com
Ah, ok. There's no rush then. However, I don't think he has much significant trade value despite his monster KHL stats. If Halak "only" got us Eller (and Schultz), an unproven NHL goalie would probably get a 3rd round pick or a fringe prospect.

I don't think Similä is worth the contract either, despite his potential upside. He is not ready to play at AHL level next season, so what's the point of wasting a spot in him now. Nättinen I hope gets signed, but stay next year in Finland. He needs a healthy season in his home league before coming across the Pond.

I just so badly want someone to represent the bleu and blanc for Le Bleu-Blanc-et-Rouge.

I don't know what Ramo's trade value is, but perhaps as part of a package he could be of interest to some clubs, especially if the Habs gave them permission ahead of time to discuss a contract for next season. The good news is that if he stays in Russia for another year or two, they at least retain his rights should he continue to impress it could end up helping the Habs at some point in some way.

I could see them signing Nattinen but loaning him back to Finland, especially if Engqvist is back in Hamilton next year since he's playing the role of 3rd line shutdown center which is what I would expect Nattinen to play, unless he can shift to the wing.

Analyzer*

I guess it was the size thing, the Habs are really good at finding goalies throughout their history, but I never understood what they saw in guys like Simila, Missiaen, Mayer, Michaud, and Lacasse. Guess we can't complain when they draft Price, Halak, Vokoun, Garon, Theodore plus all the greats of the past but wow does our goalie prospect pool stink now.

Simila is big, but not too big.

Missiaen was 6'8 when he was drafted and reports were he grew after that. That's just too big for a goalie.

6'4, 6'5 are the biggest a successful goalie can be imo.

montreal

Go Habs Go
Mar 21, 2002
www.youtube.com
Simila is big, but not too big.

Missiaen was 6'8 when he was drafted and reports were he grew after that. That's just too big for a goalie.

6'4, 6'5 are the biggest a successful goalie can be imo.

Missiaen 6'8
Simila 6'6

6'6 is big. I'm 6'2 and 6'6 is big to me.

FlyingKostitsyn

Mar 7, 2008
Quebec

Easy now! Michaud's my cousin, I won't let you disrespect my family! :shakehead

Besides he has a 100% save pct in the NHL. Michaud > Roy :sarcasm:

Ad

Upcoming events

Ad

Ad