Petry vs Brodie

SK13

non torsii subligarium
Jul 23, 2007
Edmonton
TJ Brodie is emerging as a top pairing defenseman and Jeff Petry has likely maxed out as a second-pairing defender. It is what it is.

Up the Irons

Mar 9, 2008
Canada
Calgary, a rebuilding team signs an important player, and the important player signs because he believes in the organization.

Edmonton, OTOH, either didn't want to sign Petry (mistake), or couldn't because he doesn't believe in the organization. No matter how you slice it, this is a failure on the of Oilers' management.

How long? How long must I sing this song?

Da McBomb

HFBoards Sponsor
Sponsor
Dec 9, 2004
I think Brodie is a great upcoming Dman, but I wonder how much playing with Giordano has helped in his case. Put Petry beside Giordano and he might look a lot better as well.

McGlassbangers

Jul 13, 2009
McFinland
IMO Fayne is our best defender. He is slower but defensively much better version of Petry.

Fayne
Petry
Schultz
Marincin
Klefbom
Nikitin
Ference

is how I'd rank our defenders.

herashak

Mar 24, 2013
I think Brodie is a great upcoming Dman, but I wonder how much playing with Giordano has helped in his case. Put Petry beside Giordano and he might look a lot better as well.

That was a big question last year when gio went down, to see what Brodie would look like. Brodie stepped up and held down the #1 spot.

PeakMcOil

Loyal To The Oil
Jul 25, 2008
At their best, they are similar players, only difference is Brodie gives you that most of the time and Petry's lucky to give it to you half the time.

Petry has all the tools, just hasn't taken a step or two like everyone wants him to.

Weitz

Sep 23, 2014
Why would Petry want to be good? You can be a terrible defenceman and get a 3.65 million contract from Edmonton (Schultz).

BowDangles

May 2, 2010
Edmonton
IMO Fayne is our best defender. He is slower but defensively much better version of Petry.

Fayne
Petry
Schultz
Marincin
Klefbom
Nikitin
Ference

is how I'd rank our defenders.

I would put them like this:

Fayne
Petry
Marcinin
Schultz
Nikitin
Ference
Klefbom

J Schultz is pretty bad in his own end still, and Klefbom has proven nothing at the NHL level.. Marcinin is developing very nicely and I hope they leave him paired with Fayne for the rest of the year.

No Good Names Left

Jan 30, 2007
Brodie is playing with a stud D-man...Gio. I would like to see how he fares not playing with him. Petry is playing with Ference...big difference.

I am by no means a petry supporter, but you have to look at the big picture.

Aceboogie

Aug 25, 2012
Brodie is better, and that's clear at this point. More points, equally tough minutes, better possession numbers.

The guy I think will compare to Brodie is Marincin, but that will come a year from now if at all.

As much as I think Gaudreau/Monahan/Bartschi get severly overrated by Flames fans. Brodies hype is justified

DarkSaturn

Sep 10, 2008
Yeah, not really buying this comparison. But pretty much any of the Oiler D would look a lot better playing with Gio.

Trafalgar Sadge Law

Nov 8, 2007
Not even close, Brodie is the vastly superior player by both the eye test and underlying stats. The only defenseman in our system I wouldn't give for him is Nurse, or a J Schultz that magically learns how to play defense.

BowDangles

May 2, 2010
Edmonton
I do wonder how good Petry would be paired with a stud #1LHD.
Petry is always picking up the slack and making his defensive partner look good.
I would like to see how he does if it was the other way around.

McArthur

May 26, 2010
Hockey Heart Land
I do wonder how good Petry would be paired with a stud #1LHD.
Petry is always picking up the slack and making his defensive partner look good.
I would like to see how he does if it was the other way around.

Marincin might turn out to be that guy as soon as this season though. They played well together last year, and i'm looking forward to it again once the injuries start to play a factor.

rasarhdasd

Apr 12, 2013
Isn't JS the better comparison for Brodie?

Haha, no. Brodie plays against top competition and dominates, while Justin Schultz gets caved in. Brodie comparable to Petry is probably not too far off, Marincin might be better depending how this season goes and if Marincin ever sees some powerplay time.

McArthur

May 26, 2010
Hockey Heart Land
Haha, no. Brodie plays against top competition and dominates, while Justin Schultz gets caved in. Brodie comparable to Petry is probably not too far off, Marincin might be better depending how this season goes and if Marincin ever sees some powerplay time.

we won't see how good Justin Schultz is until line 2-3 can sustain ozone containment. I have to wonder if Petry is just putting in his time before he gets traded. its too bad they couldn't come up with a 3 year deal in the offseason.

Mr Positive

Cap Crunch Incoming
Nov 20, 2013
we won't see how good Justin Schultz is until line 2-3 can sustain ozone containment. I have to wonder if Petry is just putting in his time before he gets traded. its too bad they couldn't come up with a 3 year deal in the offseason.

Giving Petry 3 years would mean a higher cap hit, likely around 4 million. I'm not convinced MacT thinks he's worth that much and I suppose he was avoiding a situation like the Gagner contract.

We also have a lot of young defensemen in the prospect pool that will be ready within 3 years for sure, and we're going to want to re-sign Yakupov and Perron in the mean time. Petry is great depth to have but in a cap world he's the kind of player you part ways with.

McArthur

May 26, 2010
Hockey Heart Land
Giving Petry 3 years would mean a higher cap hit, likely around 4 million. I'm not convinced MacT thinks he's worth that much and I suppose he was avoiding a situation like the Gagner contract.

We also have a lot of young defensemen in the prospect pool that will be ready within 3 years for sure, and we're going to want to re-sign Yakupov and Perron in the mean time. Petry is great depth to have but in a cap world he's the kind of player you part ways with.

the hindsight is definitely 20/20. Nikitin is paid 4.5, for a guy brought in not knowing what we were going to get out of Marincin or Klefbom. right now, i'd much rather see klefbom.

ManofSteel55

Aug 15, 2013
Sylvan Lake, Alberta
Brodie is playing with a stud D-man...Gio. I would like to see how he fares not playing with him. Petry is playing with Ference...big difference.

I am by no means a petry supporter, but you have to look at the big picture.

Probably should have paid more attention to the few months Giordano was injured last year.

I like Petry, I would like us to sign him long term, but Brodie is a better defenseman.

McDreamy

Losing credibility
Feb 25, 2009
Petry used to play the odd game where he would look like a top pairing defenseman. The guy has all the tools to be a better dman than he is, but I wonder if he's become too comfortable here.

Ad

Upcoming events

Ad

Ad