Value of: Petry to DET

Status
Not open for further replies.

smirob

Jun 2, 2014
I think it was clear from Petry's presser that he's considering his options for his future, specifically referencing where his kids go to school etc.

It's obvious that Detroit would be a good fit for him (and vice versa imo), would Detroit be interested and what is his value?

For habs fans, this assumes that we have secured a good 2RD (i.e: Risto, Dumba)

teemussalami

Mar 10, 2016
I like Petry, but his age doesn't fit with DET's rebuilding plans. Plus DET is in no position to trade assets for a one year rental.

smirob

Jun 2, 2014
Sorry could have been clearer, the assumption is he will agree to sign long term to play in Detroit (which is a fair assumption)

Flyer lurker

Feb 16, 2019
I know if my team is 2 years away from being 2 years away, my first add i want is a 33 year old d-man(next December) whom I have to pay in a year.

Detroit may sign Krug, but trading for Petry is wrong plan.

Tatar Shots

Feb 2, 2014
Sorry could have been clearer, the assumption is he will agree to sign long term to play in Detroit (which is a fair assumption)

why does Detroit want to sign a 33 year old RHD, when the season starts, when they have Hronek and Seider and are in the middle of a rebuild? Petty makes zero sense for Detroit and I wouldn’t offer anywhere near what the Habs would want to move him

nbwingsfan

Dec 13, 2009
Trading what would likely be the equivalent of a 1st + for a 33 year old when you're ~3 years away from sniffing the playoffs makes what I like to call "no sense".

Reactions: Flyer lurker

Number1RedWingsFan52

Mar 17, 2013
Winter Haven Florida
Why would Detroit have any interest in Petry? Detroit's RD is set long term top 4 with Hronek and Seider so Petry would be a very expensive bottom pairing guy in Detroit he's going to want at least 3 x $5m in his next deal. Petry's age doesn't fit our rebuild. I wanted Petry when he was dealt from Edmonton not now no thanks.

Reactions: Flyer lurker

Captain Mountain

Formerly Captain Wolverine
Jun 6, 2010
Petry is Montreal's 2D at worst, and probably their 1D. Neither Ristolainen or Dumba will fill that void.

Detroit is in the middle of a full rebuild, they aren't going to pay what Montreal would be looking for.

Petry also loves Montreal.

None of this makes sense.

Reactions: A Loyal Hot Dog

drw02

Aug 10, 2013
He'll be a UFA soon, Detroit would just wait until then if they had any interest in him

GOilers88

#DustersWinCups
Dec 24, 2016
Why would Detroit have any interest in Petry? Detroit's RD is set long term top 4 with Hronek and Seider so Petry would be a very expensive bottom pairing guy in Detroit he's going to want at least 3 x $5m in his next deal. Petry's age doesn't fit our rebuild. I wanted Petry when he was dealt from Edmonton not now no thanks.
So Seider is a lock as a top 4 guy next year? I'll definitely concede to Detroit fans who have far more knowledge of their prospect situation, but it always concerns me when I see fans say things like this. Just because a team has a solid prospect or two at a position should never mean they don't need more. Especially when they have yet to play in the NHL and people have them tagged to step directly into a big role without having any sort of negative impact on their development. Especially when it's a team like Detroit, and how they've played the last few years. I think adding good veterans gets grossly overlooked on these forums because people think all their prized prospects will pan out.

I'm not saying anything to the value of Petry, or what it might cost Detroit to acquire him. But completely writing it off because Seider and Cholowski have the top 4 right side set for years to come seems incredibly misplaced.

That said if I'm just completely oblivious to Seider just let me know.

Edit: As an Oiler fan I'm familiar with this line of thought and I immediately remember the handling of Justin Schultz. Hate to see that happen to other young kids.

BinCookin

Feb 15, 2012
London, ON
I like Petry a lot. I do not think Montreal should move him. He has been doing great there.
Even if he wanted out of town... it would be for a win now team, which we are not.

I mean I would love him on our team. He just would likely cost too much for us, and be wasting his talents here.

BinCookin

Feb 15, 2012
London, ON
So Seider is a lock as a top 4 guy next year? I'll definitely concede to Detroit fans who have far more knowledge of their prospect situation, but it always concerns me when I see fans say things like this. Just because a team has a solid prospect or two at a position should never mean they don't need more. Especially when they have yet to play in the NHL and people have them tagged to step directly into a big role without having any sort of negative impact on their development. ....

This is on the money, and as a wings fan I totally agree with you.
I always value a vet's real value over a prospect. Because even a promising prospect can bust or at minimum not develop as planned.

We have almost no Veteran D men of any worth. Petry would be a huge get for us, he would be our #1D man for at least the next 2 years without doubt.

Number1RedWingsFan52

Mar 17, 2013
Winter Haven Florida
So Seider is a lock as a top 4 guy next year? I'll definitely concede to Detroit fans who have far more knowledge of their prospect situation, but it always concerns me when I see fans say things like this. Just because a team has a solid prospect or two at a position should never mean they don't need more. Especially when they have yet to play in the NHL and people have them tagged to step directly into a big role without having any sort of negative impact on their development. Especially when it's a team like Detroit, and how they've played the last few years. I think adding good veterans gets grossly overlooked on these forums because people think all their prized prospects will pan out.

I'm not saying anything to the value of Petry, or what it might cost Detroit to acquire him. But completely writing it off because Seider and Cholowski have the top 4 right side set for years to come seems incredibly misplaced.

That said if I'm just completely oblivious to Seider just let me know.

Edit: As an Oiler fan I'm familiar with this line of thought and I immediately remember the handling of Justin Schultz. Hate to see that happen to other young kids.
Yeah Seider is probably the closet to being NHL ready of all of our prospect, Not saying he's a lock to make the team next season but i can guarantee you he will see tons of playing time next season in Detroit. Especially if the season starts now in either January or February. Petry makes absolutely no sense for us he will at least want a 3 year deal probably in the neighborhood of $5m per and Hronek is pretty much a lock on our 1st pairing so Petry on our 2nd pairing and that would leave Seider possibly on our bottom pairing and yeah that's not going to happen. Petry is 33 years old and sorry doesn't fit our rebuild timeline. Giving Petry $15 million or so over 3 seasons not what the team should do right now.

Status
Not open for further replies.

Ad

Upcoming events

Ad

Ad