Petri Kontiola

LeafChief

Matthew Knies Enthusiast
Mar 5, 2013
Scarborough
Hi Guys,

Was wondering if you would be able to share some information on Petri Kontiola. The Maple Leafs signed him today and most of us Leafs fans have limited information on him.

A few years back we signed Rickard Wallin out of the Swedish league and some of us are afraid this may end up being Wallin 2.0.

How do you suspect his game will translate to the NHL? Where do you see him playing in the Leafs lineup?

Thanks!

FiLe

Mr. Know-It-Nothing
Oct 9, 2009
Can't you just skim the dedicated thread on the Leafs board? Plenty of Finns giving their reports there.

"Konna" (his nickname; http://en.bab.la/dictionary/finnish-english/konna) has played a bottom six role twice during his career, in Blackhawks for 12 games and in Tappara (Finnish elite league) when he was a 19 year old.

He will do you no good in a depth role. But fortunately, he can make an excellent 2nd line center even in NHL if really given the opportunity.

Insane comparison. Let's take a look at the World Championship stats:

Wallin 45 6+8=14
Kontiola 46 16+21=37

Next let's see where they've played:

Wallin: Färjestad, SHL
Kontiola: Traktor, KHL (outscoring for example team mates Andrei Kostitsyn and Yevgeni Kuznetsov)

How do you think these guys compare to each other?

I thought some were unhappy with the signing, that there were already better depth options in the AHL waiting for a call up.

He factually is one of the best big ice players there is. He is an offensively talented two-way center. Worst case scenario is he gets a look and gets buried and that's it for him. That's 200k of lost cap space in the worst case scenario. Best case scenario is he can up his game. As a rookie adjusting to the NA game he was at 35 point pace with 4th line talent wings. He could actually be a 40 point player from the 3rd line.

I hardly see the problem with the signing as some who said that this is Wallin 2.0 and that he takes a spot away from an AHL call up.

Leafs got a good one for themselves here. Kontiola is one of the most profilic Finnish NT players at this date. Staple for about five years, and constantly top-six, even taking preference over some established NHL names - including the last olympics. Has two WHC silvers and an olympic bronze. #1 center and the biggest name on his KHL team. As a matter of fact, as far the center depth on Finnish NT goes, there's only one guy ahead of him ATM, and that's Mikko Koivu.

In other words, this guy is a big ice beast.

How his play will transition to the NHL is anybody's guess, but I doubt he's here to play in a depth role. Might take a while to earn his sea legs, but he's smart, offensively skilled and has no major weaknesses. With the contract he accepted, the Leafs practically got no risks and a good chance for a huge reward.

It's a great signing.

There are two types of people complaining: a) the other teams fans, who just want to mock it because it's the Leafs b) Leafs fans who are just generally pissed about the other things going or not going around in the organization (or are xenophobic).

No one's complaining the Blues signing Jori Lehtera. Wonder why is that. They're two very similiar players but Kontiola has always succeeded better when it has matter the most. Yet Lehtera the RFA gets 1,65M bigger caphit than Kontiola the UFA.

1,1M$ is nothing and Kontiola has the potential to put up +50 points. A great signing, like I said. One of the best so far actually, when you look at how terribly teams are overpaying.

Oh I get why you're skeptical about it. Unknown player, only asking for 1.1 mil, can't expect much.

Thing is, he took a huge pay cut to join the leafs, had to pay his contract out in KHL out of his own pocket. You can tell he is extremely motivated to finally make a real mark in the big league. 1 year deal is good for both sides, he'll be worth more after the season

He was the best forward of the 2013 world championships, he was great in the olympics where Finland finished 3rd even after losing all our NHL centers to injuries. He can play with the best of them and succeed, and he's seasoned veteran already who can adjust to different systems.

The only thing I could see holding him back from being the best center in Leafs lineup is how he will transition from big ice. But he's done it before when he was just a kid and put up almost ppg in AHL right away. He really is a great player and the best playmaker the Leafs have. If you compared his play to Kadri's in the last world championships, they are miles apart. But that is of course big ice which makes a bit of a difference.

You'll be pleased (if he gets to play in a proper role) and even if they use him in lower lines he won't disappoint for that kind of money.

What is happening in Toronto??? First Komarov and now Kontiola! These two guys are far more entertaining than any of the Finnish guys in NHL 2013-2014 (Ok, Vatanen and Selänne are interesting also).

He is an intelligent player with very skilled hands. Good playmaker. In international games he has been at least as good as Jussi Jokinen and definetely better than Olli Jokinen or Lauri Korpikoski.

He is one of the best Finnish ice hockey players in the world at the moment - and propably the best Finnish center in any of the European leagues.

If you never heard about him it just proves that North American hockey fans are not following the international hockey at all???

He has had talks before with NHL teams but he was making big bucks in KHL, he was the biggest star of his team there. He was making money. Now he probably has enough of it, and he said he wants to go for the stanley cup. So he took a big pay cut just to get himself back to the spotlight. I'd imagine his plan is to have a good year and then sign with a contender or maybe Leafs will be that in a few......no, never mind :D

He's had several great international tournaments in a row now, it was bound to happen. He probably could have gotten a better deal financially somewhere else in the NHL, but he took the spot where he could potentially take over a 1st/2nd line center.

Yeah and he is consistent. Finland has always been able to throw him out there with all the stars against them and he has been able to produce. I was doubtful about his ability to play against the best players in the world but he has proven my doubts absolutely wrong time and time again.

This is a guy who was talking to 6 teams in the NHL and chose Leafs. I can only imagine he chose Leafs for the opportunity to be able to play some PP and possibly rise in the rank because the centers infront of him are no superstars. He could have gotten better money, actually he was getting much better money in the KHL but he wants to compete for the biggest prize in hockey instead. And he has to start somewhere, even if it means taking a huge pay cut.

I have no doubt about Kontiola anymore, I think he will excel in the Leafs.

Long story short, a highly profilic Finnish forward, perhaps the best outside the NHL ATM. Offensively skilled, no major weaknesses. Highest reward: Top-six forward, fully capable of centering the second or first line. Risk: At 1.1m/1y, none.

Periwinkle

Apr 3, 2014
Have any of you seen Kontiola's games this season? Has he even played well via eye test? I feel really awful for him. 5 games in AHL with 0+0, apparently scratched last game. We all know he's a better hockey player than this. Not to mention the financial gamble he took, although at least he's on a one-way contract. Hard to see him being signed by an NHL team after this season, even if he picks up his game.

JJTT

Jan 18, 2013
Oulu
Have any of you seen Kontiola's games this season? Has he even played well via eye test? I feel really awful for him. 5 games in AHL with 0+0, apparently scratched last game. We all know he's a better hockey player than this. Not to mention the financial gamble he took, although at least he's on a one-way contract. Hard to see him being signed by an NHL team after this season, even if he picks up his game.

Saw 2 of his preseason games, his skating looked awful. Either he still has an back injury or he spent the entire summer drinking.

Last edited:

Ihmeilja

Nov 4, 2011
Either he still has an back injury or he spent the entire summer drinking.

Some sources claimed, that he was in full rest for some three months due to a back injury before the training camp. Such a back injury could affect for a long period of time and that is most likely slowing him down at the moment.

Loffer

Sep 22, 2011
Too bad. -It sounds we can write him off what comes to the NHL.

FiLe

Mr. Know-It-Nothing
Oct 9, 2009
It does start to seem that he's another case in vein of Peltonen and Nummelin. Thrives on big ice, but is not really suited for the NHL.

His cause may not yet be a lost one, but it's already a minor pity as it is. I know I expected more of him at this point.

FiLe

Mr. Know-It-Nothing
Oct 9, 2009
If we're to believe Jatkoaika, both of those things are true.
No wonder if he's been in pain. As we all know, that's a traditional Finnish home remedy called "full-body anesthesia".

Gaps

Oct 3, 2012
No wonder if he's been in pain. As we all know, that's a traditional Finnish home remedy called "full-body anesthesia".

That's true, but I wouldn't exactly say he's the sharpest tool in the shed if he chose to 'self-medicate' that way. If you want to be a pro, act like one. I'm very sorry that he was hurt but drinking's not a good solution, instead it has the potential to make things even worse.

FiLe

Mr. Know-It-Nothing
Oct 9, 2009
That's true, but I wouldn't exactly say he's the sharpest tool in the shed if he chose to 'self-medicate' that way. If you want to be a pro, act like one. I'm very sorry that he was hurt but drinking's not a good solution, instead it has the potential to make things even worse.
For the record: The comment you responded to was 100% sarcasm.

Past Considerations

May 13, 2007
Finland
http://www.mtv.fi/sport/jaakiekko/l...unnossa-halusin-pitaa-omana-tietonani/4756512

– Jos ei saa parasta kesää alle, niin ei tarvitse lähteä selittelemään. Pelimies jos olisi, niin olisi puolikuntoisenakin tehnyt mitä vain. En siihen sitä kaada kuitenkaan loppu viimeksi.

Kontiola ei tuonut selkävammaansa syksyn aikana juurikaan julkisesti esille, vaikka hänen luisteluvaikeutensa herättivät jonkin verran ihmettelyä.

– Halusin pitää sen omana tietonani. Siinä oli vähän ongelmia, mutta se kuulostaa niin selittelyltä itsellenikin, että (päätin) antaa olla vain.

Raimo Sillanpää

Mar 11, 2003
Espoo, Finland
Why do these goofs always hide injuries? They get thtrown to the lions, labelled washed up and spat out. Some agents are really doing their clients a misservice by telling them to hide injuries, if they would speak the truth theyd get time to get in shape and proper attempt, proper shot. Kontiola hid, seemed disinterested and was sent to the maitojuna. Had he told truth, hed get time, patience, get fit and apply himself and 2nd line center in NHL.

Ad

Upcoming events

Ad

Ad

-->