Confirmed with Link: Petr Sykora signs in Switzerland

NJDevs26

Once upon a time...
Mar 21, 2007
I thought the fact Syk signed overseas and not with an NHL team would have ended the 'we should have signed him' stuff once and for all, but clearly I underestimated the Sykora fetish around here.

I like the guy but he's done as an NHL player. He was out of the league for a reason two years ago, and last year's first half was a gift from the heavens before he regressed back in the second half. Just be happy he went out on a 'relatively' good note, playing in the Finals with the team he started with.

manilaNJ

Optimism: Unwavering
Mar 5, 2012
New Jersey
It's on our team website and facebook so it's official. He will arrive in Bern on thuesday and start practice wednesday

I know, but we will miss him here.
It's better that the Devils didn't sign him, but he regained appreciation from the fans in his short time back with the team.

Bleedred

Travis Green BLOWS! Bring back Nasreddine!
Sponsor
May 1, 2011
I don't think Sykora regressed in the second half. Maybe more like went streaky in the second half. He was scoring a bunch toward the end of the season. In the playoffs is when he broke down, and died pretty much. When Patty's game went down (We later found out he was playing with a groin that wound up requiring surgery) in the playoffs, Sykora then became useless. He was mostly at a 20 goal pace the whole season, but it may have been slightly higher in the first half.

I don't even want Sykora back so much. I think we just need some wing help. Remember some of us even wanted Gomez back a couple weeks ago (I was one of them I admit) and it wasn't so much that I wanted Gomez back. It was more of the fact Lou has a soft spot for bringing back old players like Sykora, and many others. So I figured it would be a cheap, and easy signing to bring in Gomer!:laugh:

Bleedred

Travis Green BLOWS! Bring back Nasreddine!
Sponsor
May 1, 2011
Don't forget....

He also got to take part in Nieds' Jersey-Retirement ceremony, too. :nod:

Right place, Right time.

Haha that too! He also was useful for us last season, whereas he wasn't useful for much of the past few seasons before. I think he might get brought back if we got eliminated in round 1.

The long playoff run helped Carter, Bernier, and most of all little G. We go out in the first round he may be in the minors now, and one of the other two might not got brought back. It also pretty much killed Sykora. The healthy scratching too.

Saugus

Ecrasez l'infame!
Jun 17, 2009
Connecticut
I wish him the best of luck. Glad he came back for the reunion tour. He will do well in Switzerland, I'm sure.

devilsrock

Sep 14, 2005
Great Neck, NY
Same.

With a bit rest and a shorter season, he could still have been a valuable depth piece. And judging by the situation, Sykora would still have taken less than a million to fill that role. We just lost Parise, at least we could have tried to keep Sykie... so that's a bad decision by the Devils IMO.

The only reason I could think of is that he showed up to camp out of shape. With the numbers he put up last year Lou should of signed him.

NJDevs26

Once upon a time...
Mar 21, 2007
Tom Gulitti ‏@TGfireandice
Petr Sykora signed his contract today with SC Bern in Switzerland. Signing now official. Can't play in NHL in 12-13 without clearing waivers

Ad

Upcoming events

Ad

Ad

-->