Value of: Petr Mrazek's next contract

Chan790

Sponsor
Jan 24, 2012
Bingy town, NY
Whatever he wants.

If he gets us past the Caps, he can have Bob or Varly money for all I care. It's not my money and I expect it'll be better spent.

ManwithNoIdentity

Jun 4, 2016
Kalamazoo, MI
yes... yes very much so, especially since the all star break. sub 2.00 GAA and a .941 from the break to the end of the regular season.

I think he'll stick with the Canes on something like 3yr x 4 type deal

Good for him, truly.

RW fans like me loved the rag on him but he was never a slouch and came up clutch in certain situations but sadly was never consistent and it was frustrating as all hell

Reactions: Tryamw and DaveG

MinJaBen

Canes Sharks Boy
Sponsor
Dec 14, 2015
Durm
Good for him, truly.

RW fans like me loved the rag on him but he was never a slouch and came up clutch in certain situations but sadly was never consistent and it was frustrating as all hell
Just curious, do you think the consistency was due to him, to the team in front of him (let's face it, the direction of the Wings franchise at the time was not a good one) or some of both? I'm hopeful it was some of both and that he's learned as he got older and that the Canes defense can help to even out the number and quality of the shots he sees. Could be a good long-term fit for both him and the Canes.

ManwithNoIdentity

Jun 4, 2016
Kalamazoo, MI
Just curious, do you think the consistency was due to him, to the team in front of him (let's face it, the direction of the Wings franchise at the time was not a good one) or some of both? I'm hopeful it was some of both and that he's learned as he got older and that the Canes defense can help to even out the number and quality of the shots he sees. Could be a good long-term fit for both him and the Canes.

Definitely not his own fault because it happens with Howard too. Our D is god awful and hangs goaltending out to dry a ridiculous amount of the time

Brock Anton

flames #badnwagon
Nov 8, 2009
Westerly, RI
I'm still quite hesitant on giving him any type of term. Ideally, I'd give him 2 years at like $3.5-4M per. Reward him for his play, but don't commit too much long term in case he goes back to the Mrazek of old.

If he continues his play over the next year or two, then talk long term deal.

Reactions: Tatar Shots

Tatar Shots

Feb 2, 2014
Definitely not his own fault because it happens with Howard too. Our D is god awful and hangs goaltending out to dry a ridiculous amount of the time

Mrazek definitely deserves blame for his performance in Detroit. It was reported that he both refused to work with the goalie coach and tried to demand Howard off of the team. He's a very streaky goalie with an unorthodox style. Whether he has grown out of it or will crumble the next time adversity hits remains to be seen. I'd be quite hesitant giving him a long term deal.

Boom Boom Apathy

I am the Professor. Deal with it!
Sep 6, 2006
Mrazek definitely deserves blame for his performance in Detroit. It was reported that he both refused to work with the goalie coach and tried to demand Howard off of the team. He's a very streaky goalie with an unorthodox style. Whether he has grown out of it or will crumble the next time adversity hits remains to be seen. I'd be quite hesitant giving him a long term deal.

Goalies are such voodoo because of the mental aspect so that's a good point. I give a lot of credit to the Canes coaching staff on handling of Mrazek. Bill Peters approach to a struggling goalie was saying in the press "Make a f***ing save!". Earlier in the season, when Mrazek struggled in a game and gave up 3(or 4?) goals to allow a team to tie the Canes in the 2nd period, our entire board was screaming for Brindy to pull him and were questioning why he came back out for the 3rd. Canes dominated the 3rd, he let in no more goals and the Canes won.

It later came out that Mrazek came into the room after the 2nd and told the guys that 2nd period was on him for letting in soft goals. Williams told him something like (paraphrasing): "Don't worry about it. We got your back. You've had ours before and will have it again." It was a calculated risk and many coaches trying to scrounge together wins would have likely pulled him, but Brindy didn't and that had to have given him a huge boost of confidence. His confidence built throughout the season and you could see it.

As you said, remains to be seen if it keeps up.

Reactions: DaveG

ManwithNoIdentity

Jun 4, 2016
Kalamazoo, MI
He is so up and down... Whoever signs him will probably end up regretting it.

He really is so streaky and inconsistent but then again he’s never been in a decent team in the past but there are a lot of reports about his off ice attitude and all that but none of us truly know so I’ll stop there

Ad

Upcoming events

Ad

Ad