Injury Report: Petr Mrazek (Upper Body)

A Star is Burns

Formerly Azor Aho
Sponsor
Dec 6, 2011
At soon-to-be 29 years old, any of you see Mrazek being re-signed?
He and the team are a good fit together so I wouldn't be surprised. I do think much like last time his contract was up they'll take a look at all options for an upgrade as long as they can but if they can't find anything, sticking together might be for the best. He's done pretty well for the guy I called Meh-razek when we first signed him.

spockBokk

Sep 8, 2013
I’d be fine if they can re-sign him for around $4M or hopefully under and at a term of 3 years or less. I think as long as he’s not looking for crazy money or term, it’s very probable he re-signs.

More interesting, I think, will be who they choose to pair with him in the tandem.

Chrispy

Salakuljettaja's Blues
Feb 25, 2009
Cary, NC
I’d be fine if they can re-sign him for around $4M or hopefully under and at a term of 3 years or less. I think as long as he’s not looking for crazy money or term, it’s very probable he re-signs.

More interesting, I think, will be who they choose to pair with him in the tandem.

The difficult part is figuring out if they can afford Mrazek as part of a tandem with whoever they bring in. I don't think anyone expects Ned is ready to take on part of the job, so it's either another pair of $4M or so goalies or allotting more cap to the goalie position to bring in a 1A and make Mrazek 1B.

Looking at the options, I don't see much in UFA that you bring in as a clear 1A vs Mrazek. STL will find a way to keep Binnington. Does Grubauer hit the market? He and Mrazek would make a good tandem. Maybe Bernier makes sense as a 1B.

Buenos Necas

lets go canes
Jul 18, 2009
Raleigh, NC
At soon-to-be 29 years old, any of you see Mrazek being re-signed?

I'd be pretty surprised if he isn't. He's not an elite guy of course, but it still seems like the league is really lagging in their evaluation of him despite some pretty solid play for us the past couple years. Rod clearly likes him, so it's a good situation for both parties.

I think you're right @spockBokk with the 3-year deal around $4m AAV, a little bump on the Talbot/Khudobin deals.

Reactions: WreckingCrew

spockBokk

Sep 8, 2013
The difficult part is figuring out if they can afford Mrazek as part of a tandem with whoever they bring in. I don't think anyone expects Ned is ready to take on part of the job, so it's either another pair of $4M or so goalies or allotting more cap to the goalie position to bring in a 1A and make Mrazek 1B.

Looking at the options, I don't see much in UFA that you bring in as a clear 1A vs Mrazek. STL will find a way to keep Binnington. Does Grubauer hit the market? He and Mrazek would make a good tandem. Maybe Bernier makes sense as a 1B.

Well, they might have a little more cap to dedicate to the position if Lorentz keeps up his ascension and one of Rees or Drury has a really good camp next year. I certainly don't think they bring back all of Foegele, McGinn or Martinook.

LakeLivin

Armchair Quarterback
Mar 11, 2016
North Carolina
That depends on what you call goalies.
James Reimer 2.99 GAA .897 Sv%
Alex Nedeljkovic 2.38 GAA .914 Sv%

Petr Mrazek .99 GAA .955 Sv%
All stats from here: NHL Stats

Gotta keep in mind the above is a snapshot of this season to date and that Mrazek was highly likely going to "regress to the mean" somewhat this season even if he wasn't hurt.

2019-20 . . . . . . . . . . . . . . . . . . . . . . . . . NHL career
Mrazk 2.69 GAA .905 Sv% . . . . . . . 2.60 GAA .911 Sv%
Reimer 2.66 GAA .914 Sv% . . . . . . . 2.81 GAA .913 Sv%

Obviously a lot of variables that should be considered when looking at career stats (e.g., the defense in front of them). A couple questions spring to mind:

• Has Mrazk really reached a new level at 29yo? It's not outside the realm of possibility.
  • Is some of Reimer's fall off permanent, maybe due to age (he turns 33yo in 2 weeks)?
  • What have we got in Ned? I'd be ecstatic if he really turns out to be a 2.38, .914% NHL goalie.

Last edited:
Reactions: Tryamw

Tryamw

Loyal Fan of Jerks
Sponsor
Nov 2, 2016
Durham
Gotta keep in mind the above is a snapshot of this season to date and that Mrazek was highly likely going to "regress to the mean" somewhat this season even if he wasn't hurt.

2019-20 NHL career
Mrazk 2.69 GAA .905 Sv% 2.60 GAA .911 Sv%
Reimer 2.66 GAA .914 Sv% 2.81 GAA .913 Sv%

Obviously a lot of variables that should be considered when looking at career stats (e.g., the defense in front of them). A couple questions spring to mind:

• Has Mrazk really reached a new level at 29yo? It's not outside the realm of possibility.
  • Is some of Reimer's fall off permanent, maybe due to age (he turns 33yo in 2 weeks)?
  • What have we got in Ned? I'd be ecstatic if he really turns out to be a 2.38, .914% NHL goalie.
Someone bring facts to a shade fight.. :)

3CanesInTheBox

Bunch of (Actual) Jerks
Sponsor
Feb 22, 2019
Chatmandu

upload_2021-2-27_12-37-58.gif

Ad

Upcoming events

Ad

Ad