Petr Mrazek improves stock in Detroit Red Wings mid-season Top 20

HF Article

Nov 16, 2005

Spring is just around the corner, and as the weather heats up so too does the on-ice action in leagues around the world. As we reach the end of the season in junior hockey and the stretch run in professional hockey we pause to look back at how prospects in the Detroit Red Wings organization have progressed since the puck first dropped last fall.

To borrow a metaphor more commonly associated with the other team Mike Ilitch owns, the Red Wings swung for the fences in free agency during the summer of 2012 and ended up striking out. Upon closer examination, however, it appears that Detroit might have budding stars within the organization that could make people forget the summer of 2012 altogether in the very near future.… read more

More...

petesrw

Apr 6, 2009
I don't know if I'd say they swung for the fences this offseason. Signing Samuelsson, Gustavsson, and Tootoo is closer to bunting. Three times.

The first two struck out, and Tootoo got a single, stole second, and then the coach put in a pinch runner because the game got a little too exciting.

Edit: Forgot Colaiacovo. He was hit by a pitch.

ANYWAYS. Rankings look pretty good. I'd say everyone in the top 5 is pretty interchangeable. Mrazek definitely deserved the bump.

Retire91

Stevey Y you our Guy
May 31, 2010
I think the term swung for the fences is typically associated with striking out. The old saying swing for singles and you'll get more home runs. Swing for the fences and you'll strike out.

The prospects pool looks really good but Cleary still at least has 5 or 6 more seasons in him

cjm502

Bingo Bango!
Jun 22, 2010
Mid Michigan
I think Almquist is a bit underrated here, he has the smarts to play in the NHL right now IMO, he just knows how to play the game. Size is the biggest problem, and it wont take too long for him to put on some size. The NHL is in his future, and there isnt anything saying he couldnt be a top 4 pmd right now, but than again I have admittedly always been high on Almquist.

Frk It

Mo Seider Less Problems
Jul 27, 2010
I think Almquist is a bit underrated here, he has the smarts to play in the NHL right now IMO, he just knows how to play the game. Size is the biggest problem, and it wont take too long for him to put on some size. The NHL is in his future, and there isnt anything saying he couldnt be a top 4 pmd right now, but than again I have admittedly always been high on Almquist.

Even if he puts on weight he is still a below average skater, and he's not tall. Doesn't help he plays with a really short stick. I think he's dynamite in the offensive zone but I think he will get killed in the neutral zone and by teams that forecheck well. Like Raffy at the end of his career.

I'd love to see him turn out like Enstrom, I just have a hard time seeing it.

Hendricks433

Feb 18, 2013
I don't know if I'd say they swung for the fences this offseason. Signing Samuelsson, Gustavsson, and Tootoo is closer to bunting. Three times.

The first two struck out, and Tootoo got a single, stole second, and then the coach put in a pinch runner because the game got a little too exciting.

Edit: Forgot Colaiacovo. He was hit by a pitch.

ANYWAYS. Rankings look pretty good. I'd say everyone in the top 5 is pretty interchangeable. Mrazek definitely deserved the bump.

They struck out not getting Suter and or Parise. They then started swinging for singles and struck out as well with stupid signings. I do like the Tootoo signing though. Sammy and Cola made zero sense.

Ad

Upcoming events

Ad

Ad