Petr Cech, former Chelsea goalkeeper about to fulfill his childhood dream

Subway Schenn

Jun 24, 2018
London, UK
Football news - Petr Cech set for second career in ice hockey
"After 20 years of professional football this is going to be a wonderful experience for me to play the game I loved to watch and play as a kid."

Insane! This is 4th division in the UK but will be interesting to see how he fares - his plays his first game tomorrow. For those who don't know about Petr Cech, he had an absolutely phenomenal 'soccer' career, playing most of it for Chelsea and retiring 3 months ago.

Coach of the Guildford Phoenix, Milos Melicherik (former professional hockey player from Slovakia): “We are very excited to have Petr join the Phoenix team and we are looking forward to seeing him in action this weekend. He has improved a lot since I first saw him on the ice and I am excited to see him play.”

His bio from Wiki for those who don't follow:
Čech holds a number of goalkeeping records, including the Premier League record for fewest appearances required to reach 100 clean sheets, having done so in 180 appearances, the most number of clean sheets in a season (24), as well as the record for the most clean sheets in Premier League history (202). Čech is also the only goalkeeper to have won the Premier League Golden Glove with two separate clubs, and has won it a joint record four times; in the 2004–05, 2009–10, 2013–14 and the 2015–16 seasons. He was voted the IFFHS World's Best Goalkeeper in 2005, received the award of Best Goalkeeper in the 2004–05, 2006–07 and 2007–08editions of the UEFA Champions League, and went 1,025 minutes without conceding a goal in the 2004–05 season, a league record.

I live in England and as luck would have it, went to school in Guildford so will be making a trip there next month to watch him in a game! Really intrigued.

GJB

Dr. Hook
Sponsor
Aug 12, 2002
How good of hockey could 4th division be in the UK? There are probably beer leagues in Canada that could compete.

Reactions: Jtown

djpatm

Feb 2, 2010
Calgary
I think that little world cup thing he played in might have been a bit more of a childhood dream for him....

Last edited:

Slap

Sep 28, 2017
How good of hockey could 4th division be in the UK? There are probably beer leagues in Canada that could compete.
Beer leagues of Canada, Sweden, Finland, USA and Russia would absolutely demolish British tier 4. We're talking about absolute shit tier of hockey here.

Reactions: 63 others

agent082

Feb 11, 2012
Hockey isn't the best sport to play when you have to avoid hits to your head.

RobBrown4PM

Pringles?
Oct 12, 2009

It's about as good this

There are teams in the 3rd division of my beer league that are better than this.

Ad

Upcoming events

Ad

Ad