Petition to Red Fisher: Big Pete in HoF NOW!!

Status
Not open for further replies.

Psycho Papa Joe

Porkchop Hoser
Feb 27, 2002
Cesspool, Ontario
Visit site
chooch said:
As for Jacques - why wasnt he on TeamCanada 72? or the 76 Canada Cup instead of Pete??

Answer that.
Different coaches want different types of players. Russ Courtnall was once selected to team Canada ahead of Steve Yzerman and Denis Savard. Does that make Courtnall a better player? Obviously not. It depends on what a team's needs were.

Big Phil

Nov 2, 2003
Peter Mahovolich is a wild card I think. He reminds me of guys like Bernie Nicholls who had tremendous two or three seasons but then fall of the face of the earth. I don't know, flip a coin!

chooch*

mcphee said:
Chooch, in this lockout season, coupled with expressvu's free month of January, I watched a lot of classic games over the last 6 weeks. Lemaire was definitely on th epenalty kill. Lemaire essentially had 2 careers in Mtl. as a player. Up to about 76 he was the offensive threat expected to rival Cournoyer as the team's go to guy. It never quite happened that way as he was a solid player but aside from 1 year, never threatened to join the 50 goal guys. His last 3 years, he became,imo, the most complete player on the team. I've always thought that, and see no reason to change from anything I've read here. Further, Bowman trusted him in those roles and freely states as much when asked. As for Canada Cups, it was timing I guess. If they were played in 77,8, or 9 or even 80, I'm sure he would have been picked. I think that if we dug up old Mtl. Star articles from the fall of 71, Peter's selection may have raised a few eyebrows, though I'm glad they picked him. As for Peter M being a true leader, I've read whatever books are available from the players from that team and I lived in the city then. I'm not slandering the guy because the stories were documented. The players loved Peter, and would want to be in his taxi going out for dinner, but his lifestyle kept him from being considered a leader. He was the team party animal and Bowman's whipping boy. His mishaps in local establishments were legendary. I have no problem with this as during the same era, a few of my own were pretty legendary. He was the lovable wayward guy on that team, not their leader. Remember when Shutt called their line the Donut Line ? [ no center]. Remember when he and Mario Tremblay bralwed in their hotel ? Remember when Bowman fined him $100 for missing curfew and he peeled off $200 and said I'm coming in late tomorrow too. None of these make him a bad guy, but the team knew he had personal problems and his trade was inevitable. If I list favorites, he's way ahead of Lemaire in my books. I just think that Lemaire was a superior player.

Thanks for your post. Fun to read about these things. I think Pete was selected to Team Canada to play because of his 71 playoffs and 71-72 season which were very strong. He was on the 76 Canada Cup because he was the centre on the no line in the league. He could hit, pass and shoot and deke better than Lemaire. Lemaire was a better skater and student of the game. I compare Lemaire to Houle. If Houle was a centre and played on Lafleurs line/Cournoyers line for a few years.....Houle was primarily a defensive player who spent a couple of years unfortunately in the WHA.

Shutt still called it the Donut line when JL had replaced PM and I remember a 78 Sports Illustrated article where shutt is quoted as saying "soon we'll finally have a top line centre" (talking about Mondou).

As for penalty killing by centres it was usually Jarvis and Risebrough in the latter part of JL's career and Pete and Richard in the early part. As I remember it.

Psycho Joe said:
Different coaches want different types of players. Russ Courtnall was once selected to team Canada ahead of Steve Yzerman and Denis Savard. Does that make Courtnall a better player? Obviously not. It depends on what a team's needs were.

Thats 2 different coaches - Sinden in 72 and Scotty in 76 - they both took Pete over Jacques. Again I'm not knocking jacques just that Pete was a better player from 71-77.

As for being a leader, Red Fisher always called him Peter the Leader and I'm sure he knew Petes rep which was more fun and games than anything else. Since when did carousing hurt Messiers status as a great leader?

Status
Not open for further replies.

Ad

Upcoming events

Ad

Ad