Peterborough Petes 2023-24 Off-Season Thread

Section5Petes

Nov 14, 2022

Alexander Hage says he has a tough decision to make.

The talented Vaughan Kings U16 centre was among the standouts at the Peterborough Petes Development Camp, held at the Memorial Centre on the weekend.

Not present at camp was Petes’ first-round pick and third overall selection Colin Fitzgerald. The Peterborough native signed with the USHL’s Green Bay Gamblers prior to the OHL draft. The Petes have met with Fitzgerald in an attempt to persuade him to stay home and play.

Meanwhile, there is no indecision for rugged Barrie Jr. Colts defenceman Blake Gowan. The Petes’ second-round pick said he was at camp with the sole focus of cracking the roster.

Hage might have been a first round OHL draft pick except he was noncommittal about his intentions for next season.

His brother Michael Hage was a first-round pick of the Kitchener Rangers who opted instead to join the USHL’s Chicago Steel ahead of a commitment to the University of Michigan.

The Petes took Alexander Hage with their sixth-round pick hoping to convince him to play in Peterborough. He had 21 goals and 33 assists for 54 points in 45 games last season.

“I just wanted to come for a fun weekend, enjoy the experience and have some fun” Hage said. “I wanted to meet everyone and keep my options open. I really like it here. Everyone has been super nice. All the boys are really nice. it’s been fun on the ice with everybody.”

Hage has also talked to the Steel but said he’s not made up his mind and is still in the process of gathering information. No one should assume he’s going to follow in his brother’s footsteps.

“Michael is Michael and I am myself,” he said. “I want to make my own decision and I want to choose what is right for me and my own path.

“It’s going to be a hard decision to make, obviously, but I’m going to go with my gut and hopefully have a bright future.”

Petes’ head coach Rob Wilson doesn’t have to be convinced Hage has a bright future.

“He’s very, very talented,” said Wilson. “He sees the ice very well and slips pucks very well under sticks and is crafty when he’s entering the offensive zone.

“There is a lot to his game. He was quite impressive. Obviously, they have to make decisions on what they want to do, but he definitely looked good and has high offensive skill. You can tell he has a real brain for the game.”

Michael Hage was teammates with the Petes’ Caden Taylor when the latter played up a year with the Toronto Jr. Canadians in the 2021-22 season.

In camp, the Petes paired Alexander and Taylor on a line where they had some chemistry. Hage set up a Taylor goal in a Saturday afternoon scrimmage and they teamed up on several good scoring chances.

“I’ve had the opportunity to know Cado for the last three years and he’s like a brother to me now,” Hage said. “I think the chemistry was just automatic.”

Gowan, whose father Chris Gowan played for the Kingston Frontenacs, was thrilled to hear his name called by the Petes on April 12.

“It was the greatest day of my life,” Gowan said. “I’ve been working since I was a little kid to hear my name called. It was an unbelievable experience when I heard my name called by such a great organization.”

His first impressions of the Petes are positive.

“They’re amazing people. Everyone has been so welcoming and warm,” Gowan said. “I’m a rookie, so my teammates have been going after me a little bit, but it’s all fun and games. I feel really welcome here and I’m excited to get started.”

Gowan said he never considered any other options.

“I’m set on playing here,” he said.

Gowan, who stands six-foot, 177 pounds, threw his weight around in camp. He had five goals and 33 assists for 38 points, with 75 penalty minutes in 48 games with Barrie.

“I’m trying to stick to my identity. They picked me for a reason, they obviously liked what they saw during the season with my physicality,” he said. “I’m trying to stick to my role and be who I am and not do any more or any less than that. Just go out and crush kids like I know I can.”

Wilson said Gowan is the coach’s type of player.

“He’s got good feet and you can tell he wants to play with an edge,” said Wilson.

“We’re pretty happy with what we see and there is a lot to work with. I think he’s going to fit into exactly the way we want to play. We don’t want to make it fun for anybody coming into this rink. I think he’s got that edge to him which can make it a little bit miserable for opposing teams.

Ad

Upcoming events

Ad

Ad