Hamilton

6 games VS
Missy
Miagara

4 games VS
Sudbury
North Bay
Barrie

should create some intensity......especially with 12 games versus the Generals!

That could be a tough schedule. Six visits by Wright is cool.

Petes

Jun 23, 2014
Kaspars Ziemins highlight video is pretty interesting. Looks like he could play a top-six role and chip in a bit.

Lardis-McTavish-Ziemins
Avon-OA-Robertson

Bra Wavers

Feb 19, 2016
As far as Captain and Assistants for this season go, it will really depend on who their OAs are.

I believe that McTavish will wear a letter for sure but Spearing, McMullen and Trolley all have a chance to wear one as well.

Reactions: MCur19

Petes

Jun 23, 2014
Sounds like the Petes have locked up there top picks from this past draft (Lardis, Lewis and Guo) just waiting to announce at a later date. I’ve heard really good things about Lewis, I think he’s gunna be a good one.

Bra Wavers

Feb 19, 2016
Here is Brock's take on the Petes' import pick this year as well as a scouting report from Germany:

Peterborough Petes - Adrian Klein - Defense
A big German defender (6'3, 205lbs), Klein spent the majority of the year in the DEL already as a 17 year old. With a later September birthday, he is not eligible for the NHL Draft until 2022, so he is likely hoping to come over and increase his odds of being selected.
Scouting Report:
Defenseman Adrian Klein is a very big boy and has been making a little bit of noise in the German ice hockey scene the past couple of years after playing the entire 19-20 season in Germany’s third pro circuit as a 16-year-old. He was so good there that he was quickly given a DEL contract and managed to make his way into 31 games this season as a 17-year-old, even if he only collected one point along the way. He also saw time in Germany’s DEL2 and Oberliga at various junctures this year before being an assistant captain for the national team at the U18. As promising as this all is, he still has a large learning curve and has spent a lot of time playing a very careful game, either just to survive or in order to make sure he does exactly what his coaches demand of him. There is a lack in quick or creative decision making in his game and he tries to keep things safe and sound. His strengths actually lie more in his play without the puck. Sound positioning, an active stick, and a very strong readiness to use his body are what have him playing pro hockey thus far. If he’s got more offensively, it’ll be up to the right coach to tickle it out of him.” - Chapin Landvogt

Reactions: Hockey Stick

Petes

Jun 23, 2014
Here is Brock's take on the Petes' import pick this year as well as a scouting report from Germany:

Peterborough Petes - Adrian Klein - Defense
A big German defender (6'3, 205lbs), Klein spent the majority of the year in the DEL already as a 17 year old. With a later September birthday, he is not eligible for the NHL Draft until 2022, so he is likely hoping to come over and increase his odds of being selected.
Scouting Report:

Defenseman Adrian Klein is a very big boy and has been making a little bit of noise in the German ice hockey scene the past couple of years after playing the entire 19-20 season in Germany’s third pro circuit as a 16-year-old. He was so good there that he was quickly given a DEL contract and managed to make his way into 31 games this season as a 17-year-old, even if he only collected one point along the way. He also saw time in Germany’s DEL2 and Oberliga at various junctures this year before being an assistant captain for the national team at the U18. As promising as this all is, he still has a large learning curve and has spent a lot of time playing a very careful game, either just to survive or in order to make sure he does exactly what his coaches demand of him. There is a lack in quick or creative decision making in his game and he tries to keep things safe and sound. His strengths actually lie more in his play without the puck. Sound positioning, an active stick, and a very strong readiness to use his body are what have him playing pro hockey thus far. If he’s got more offensively, it’ll be up to the right coach to tickle it out of him.” - Chapin Landvogt

Seems like it’s a long shot he comes over and likely hoping for 2022/2023? Do they keep his rights if they sign Ziemins?

Zebra

Feb 12, 2017
Mason MacTavish 3rd overall to the Ducks !!
Congrats to him and his family, billets coaches etc -So proud of him !

Reactions: dirty12

Bra Wavers

Feb 19, 2016
Brian Zanetti 4th round to Philadelphia
And Artem Guryev 5th round to San Jose
Both drafted on Day 2
Congrats to both players….hope they are prepared to do some heavy lifting for this very young team this season.

Bra Wavers

Feb 19, 2016
Growing up a Pete – Peterborough Petes

so this means no OAs for the Petes at this point……I hope Oke is looking at Emmett Pierce from Flint. He’s from Napanee….I’m sure that both he and his family would appreciate him playing closer to home.
I also think the Petes would appreciate having a 6ft6 200+ lb RW in their lineup.

Reactions: dirty12

Petes

Jun 23, 2014
Growing up a Pete – Peterborough Petes

so this means no OAs for the Petes at this point……I hope Oke is looking at Emmett Pierce from Flint. He’s from Napanee….I’m sure that both he and his family would appreciate him playing closer to home.
I also think the Petes would appreciate having a 6ft6 200+ lb RW in their lineup.

I second this. Pierce would be an ideal target. They could have some big boys in the forward group if they add him along with Alfano 6’3, McTavish 6’2, Lewis 6’2, Bono? 6’4 (U18 pick)

Reactions: Bra Wavers

Bra Wavers

Feb 19, 2016
Great news
Welcome to the Petes, James!

OK Mr. Oke......time to look at some OAs now.
I'm very excited about the young nucleus Oke has put together.

This will likely be a tough year ahead but the following 2-3 years look promising.

Forwards

McTavish

Robertson

Avon

Patey

Alfano

DeZoete

Lardis

Lewis

[TBODY] [/TBODY]

Defense
Zanetti2003
Kavanagh2003
Guryev2003
McCoy2004
Guo2005
[TBODY] [/TBODY]

Goalie
Simpson2003
[TBODY] [/TBODY]

Petes

Jun 23, 2014
Great news

This will likely be a tough year ahead but the following 2-3 years look promising.

Forwards
McTavish2003
Robertson2003
Avon2003
Patey2003
Alfano2004
DeZoete2004
Lardis2005
Lewis2005
[TBODY] [/TBODY]
Defense
Zanetti2003
Kavanagh2003
Guryev2003
McCoy2004
Guo2005
[TBODY] [/TBODY]
Goalie
Simpson2003
[TBODY] [/TBODY]

Crazy how this is labeled the young nucleus and yet that’s almost the entire team… only people you are missing are McMullen, Spearing and Austin?

That means they need to sign or acquire 4-5 forwards, 1-2 defenseman and a goalie. Going to be fun to follow over the next month. Any predictions??

F - Gagner (2004), Mangan(2003), Ziemins(2002 Euro), OA via trade, Page (2005)

D - Leskovar (2004), Mayer (2003)

G - Sztuska (2004)

Bra Wavers

Feb 19, 2016
Tough call but I'll take a stab at it....

F - OA (trade), Ziemins (IMP - 2002), Wood (2003), Magnan (2003), Gagner (2004)

D - Paone (2003), Leskovar (2004)

G - Sztuska (2004)

just a couple of differences

The more I look at it, the more having just one OA makes sense. Keep in mind the lack of playing time for most players last season and the fact that teams are bringing in 2 crops of OHL rookies at the same time. For a team like the Petes, going young (with only 1 OA) this year should be a safer year to get the ALL of the rookies lots of experience. They won't be as overwhelmed as they would be in a typical season.

Petes

Jun 23, 2014
Tough call but I'll take a stab at it....

F - OA (trade), Ziemins (IMP - 2002), Wood (2003), Magnan (2003), Gagner (2004)

D - Paone (2003), Leskovar (2004)

G - Sztuska (2004)

just a couple of differences

The more I look at it, the more having just one OA makes sense. Keep in mind the lack of playing time for most players last season and the fact that teams are bringing in 2 crops of OHL rookies at the same time. For a team like the Petes, going young (with only 1 OA) this year should be a safer year to get the ALL of the rookies lots of experience. They won't be as overwhelmed as they would be in a typical season.

I’d be game with that scenario as well. Those signings + Pierce via trade. Works for me

Square Corners

Mar 1, 2018
Great news

Forwards
McTavish2003
Robertson2003
Avon2003
Patey2003
Alfano2004
DeZoete2004
Lardis2005
Lewis2005
[TBODY] [/TBODY]
Defense
Zanetti2003
Kavanagh2003
Guryev2003
McCoy2004
Guo2005
[TBODY] [/TBODY]
Goalie
Simpson2003
[TBODY] [/TBODY]

My only worry is how long will McTavish be in the OHL? Him going 3rd overall is great for him but might not be great for the Petes as next year could be his last now.

The D looks set for a while though with Zanetti, McCoy, Guryev as the big 3 and all 03/04. We will see what we have with Simpson next year. The F core behind McTavish will be the big test going forward I think

WhatTheDuck

9 - 20 - 8
May 17, 2007
Worst Case, Ontario
My only worry is how long will McTavish be in the OHL? Him going 3rd overall is great for him but might not be great for the Petes as next year could be his last now.

The D looks set for a while though with Zanetti, McCoy, Guryev as the big 3 and all 03/04. We will see what we have with Simpson next year. The F core behind McTavish will be the big test going forward I think

Bob Murray's comments after the draft seemed to indicate that McTavish will be given every chance to make the club right out of the gate.

One year of dominating the OHL, with a starring role at the WJC before joining the Ducks for 2022-23 - seems like the ideal path to me. No need to rush him onto a team that is set up to struggle again this year.

Petes

Jun 23, 2014

I bet you McTavish gets his 10 games stretched out until around the world juniors… loaned to Team Canada for the tourny. Returned to junior to be dealt by Petes to a contender.

Square Corners

Mar 1, 2018
Bob Murray's comments after the draft seemed to indicate that McTavish will be given every chance to make the club right out of the gate.

One year of dominating the OHL, with a starring role at the WJC before joining the Ducks for 2022-23 - seems like the ideal path to me. No need to rush him onto a team that is set up to struggle again this year.

Oh wow I didnt even see that press conference, I was just assuming since he was taken so high. Well that sucks. Likely going to get less than a full season from him in his OHL career. Hopefully the prices are high at the OHL deadline next year lol

Petes

Jun 23, 2014
Petes attending NHL camps -

McTavish - Anaheim
Zanetti - Philly
Avon - Philly
Guryev - San Jose
Austin - Florida
T.Robertson - Carolina

Reactions: Hockey Stick
Status