Peterborough Petes 2019-20 Season Thread

Status
Not open for further replies.

Snipes 29

Dec 1, 2013
Good win for Petes vs Saginaw last night , Petes looking good so nice to see ! Two lines that can score, better D, and Jones playing solid just need Austen to play better or perhaps let Simpson have the net, for a start?

LR8

Mar 8, 2018
North Bay just dealt for Nick Grima giving them four overage players. I imagine this means they will deal Struthers or King... both would be big additions to our team.
Is there a bit of panic in Peterborough? This seems a bit premature. Did you not just pick up an OA d. Gallant should stay.

WillardJFredricks

May 7, 2004
I'm not sure if this had been mentioned before, but there's a new book out that follows the Petes during the 2017-18 season. "Before The Lights Go Out" by Sean Fitz-Gerald. I picked it up yesterday. Seems pretty interesting through the first few chapters. Likely of interest to other Petes fans.

Diaero

Nov 29, 2016
On the no hope of ever replacing the PMC front: council spent 3.5 million dollars for a feasibility study on the twin pad arena near Trent to replace Northcrest. That was year's ago, with no action. Now they're going and saying nah we'll just put it at Fleming, despite the sunk cost of already accessing Trent. Don Barrie wrote a great piece last week that maybe we need to call an arena emergency in this city to get it taken seriously. I'm surprised teams still show up for the Atom tournament, a tournament that is a shell of itself that used to be world renowned.

We're years away from breaking ground on the twin pads which barely gets us above water with what we need to service minor hockey in this city, and I honestly wouldn't even feel too foolish in saying I'd be surprised if the PMC gets a replacement in the next two decades.

Gets me bummed out every time I read about how inept anything in this city is handled involving modern infrastructure. And how little city staff and council care about the future of the Petes.

NorthernVoice

Oct 5, 2017
On the no hope of ever replacing the PMC front: council spent 3.5 million dollars for a feasibility study on the twin pad arena near Trent to replace Northcrest. That was year's ago, with no action. Now they're going and saying nah we'll just put it at Fleming, despite the sunk cost of already accessing Trent. Don Barrie wrote a great piece last week that maybe we need to call an arena emergency in this city to get it taken seriously. I'm surprised teams still show up for the Atom tournament, a tournament that is a shell of itself that used to be world renowned.

We're years away from breaking ground on the twin pads which barely gets us above water with what we need to service minor hockey in this city, and I honestly wouldn't even feel too foolish in saying I'd be surprised if the PMC gets a replacement.
Didn’t the Ford government cancel the Trent project? (Yes it did)

The need for more rinks in Peterborough and the need for a new OHL arena are separate issue in my opinion.

Last edited:
Reactions: ptbopete

Ptbomillsy619

Dec 17, 2017
Not panicking at all. If Austin can’t get it together. London has shown they are going with there rookie goalie over Kooy. I think he’d be a very good backup to jones if we need to go the route of trading for a serviceable backup he’s got playoff experience would be a good one two punch to think about

Reactions: NorthernVoice

Bra Wavers

Feb 19, 2016
So, if (WHEN!) the Petes deal for a top 6 forward, I have a couple of questions.
  • Who gets bumped out of the present top 6? N. Robertson- SDA - Kirk McTavish - Gallant - Butler
  • If they acquire a true centreman, how does that change the lineup?.....who would centre the 4th line....if I’m Grondin, I’m not happy there
I can’t see Gallant or Grondin moving to the wing......maybe SDA does if they acquire someone like: Thomas (NIA), McGregor (SAR) or Struthers (NB)

NorthernVoice

Oct 5, 2017
So, if (WHEN!) the Petes deal for a top 6 forward, I have a couple of questions.
  • Who gets bumped out of the present top 6? N. Robertson- SDA - Kirk McTavish - Gallant - Butler
  • If they acquire a true centreman, how does that change the lineup?.....who would centre the 4th line....if I’m Grondin, I’m not happy there
I can’t see Gallant or Grondin moving to the wing......maybe SDA does if they acquire someone like: Thomas (NIA), McGregor (SAR) or Struthers (NB)
A lot of teams now will go with two centres on the ice, one left handed and one right handed so that they're covered for any faceoff situation. There are ways to make it work of it comes to that.

NorthernVoice

Oct 5, 2017
Not panicking at all. If Austin can’t get it together. London has shown they are going with there rookie goalie over Kooy. I think he’d be a very good backup to jones if we need to go the route of trading for a serviceable backup he’s got playoff experience would be a good one two punch to think about
Yeah, if backup goalie is the biggest issue your team has, you're in decent shape. Austin should get more opportunities but come trade deadline time, if he hasn't proven up to the task, it's not an expensive piece to add via trade, if they need to go that route.

Reactions: Ptbomillsy619

LR8

Mar 8, 2018
What are you talking about? We have an open OA spot... Gallant is going no where.
Agree - that is my point. You had said both King and struthers would be good additions to the Pete line up, so one of your existing OA's would have to go. Gallant not going anywhere and King, who was a scratch for North Bay last night in order to get a new addition into the line up, is no upgrade on Paquette.
Petes should not be making a move right now - too early. Give it a month.

Petes

Jun 23, 2014
Agree - that is my point. You had said both King and struthers would be good additions to the Pete line up, so one of your existing OA's would have to go. Gallant not going anywhere and King, who was a scratch for North Bay last night in order to get a new addition into the line up, is no upgrade on Paquette.
Petes should not be making a move right now - too early. Give it a month.

We have an OPEN OA spot. Nobody would have to go.

LR8

Mar 8, 2018
North Bay just dealt for Nick Grima giving them four overage players. I imagine this means they will deal Struthers or King... both would be big additions to our team.

Where you said both would be big additions (plural), I thought you meant both. That would be a bizarre move.

If what you meant was either would be a big addition, still not convinced that I agree. Struthers maybe but would wait to see what happens with Niagara and Thomas along with others. North Bay benefited greatly from having Brazeau in the lineup. What is it that the Pete's need, as these are 2 very different players.

Stay in the conversation with Niagara, and wait a month to give time to really define your needs. Petes are a strong team who stack up well with anyone. A goal scoring forward (Niagara), and a Dman would be good. Goalie will be gone next year, so this is the year in Peterborough.

Ptbomillsy619

Dec 17, 2017
Do we go Austin tonight or tomorrow I kinda would like jones tonight let him keep rolling get his confidence sky high well also giving Austin a stronger team so when he gets it back he’ll be more confident or am I out to lunch lol

Diaero

Nov 29, 2016
I go with Jones tonight.

At this point Austin is auditioning for the backup role for the rest of the season, and if the schedule calls for him to take on a stronger team like Windsor or Sudbury, we need to know he can play at least average enough to keep us in a game at the bare minimum. If we string together some W's with Austin the confidence will come, he looked good in a couple games last year, but he can't be the guy that only plays bad teams.

Reactions: Ptbomillsy619

NorthernVoice

Oct 5, 2017
Do we go Austin tonight or tomorrow I kinda would like jones tonight let him keep rolling get his confidence sky high well also giving Austin a stronger team so when he gets it back he’ll be more confident or am I out to lunch lol
I would go Austin, they've used him in the middle game of the 3 game trips every time so far, and one of the back to backs. I'd like to see him get another chance and I also think keeping Jones healthy/rested throughout the year is more important than any one win or loss.

Show faith in Austin, let him play a winless team to get back in the saddle and hopefully going forward you have Austin with some confidence and Jones continually on top form. Of course if they do this and he loses...

foghorn

Nov 4, 2017
Austin tonight, but don't leave him in for 8 goals against.
i agree!!! IF Jones goes world juniors Austin will be given all the opportunity but at that time either Simpson (who is signed already) or a either Curtian or Edwards will be pushing Austin for that role when Jones is gone which could turn into the backup when Jones returns if Austin cant carry the load. Lots of ifs and buts lol

Status
Not open for further replies.

Ad

Upcoming events

Ad

Ad