Peterborough Petes 2018 Offseason Thread

Status
Not open for further replies.

XX

Waiting for Ishbia
Dec 10, 2002
PHX
Can't wait to watch this kid for myself come September.

He's behind the curve physically. Noticeably tall and lanky. But his poise on the puck is really obvious, and his defensive game is ahead of his peers. He had to earn his spot in a mens league by playing responsible hockey.

If you want to watch him, here's a link to the scrimmage: facebook.com/ArizonaCoyotes/videos/10156107103050783/

He's #64 in Red. He compares pretty favorably to the 5th overall pick Hayton. Training camp and all, but I think he should surprise. Complete camp roster link if you want it.

Reactions: Petes

MoWanchuk1

Feb 18, 2017
Great offseason so far for Petes

• Hiring of Bob Gainey as advisor role
  • Hiring of coach Rob Wilson who brings pro experience coaching and playing hard lined game that the current roster needs
  • 3 signings from OHL draft so far....
  • Euros NHL pick Liam Kirk had great reviews from Arizona and youngster Cermak appears to be a highly skilled player
  • Chisholm and Sem NHL picks —sem reported by TSN as having an outstanding camp with leafs—Chisholm has a lot of success as well
  • Paquette, Gallant, Fraser, Wells and Gogolev all headed to NHL development camps
  • Robertson and prospect Paquette chosen to US Hlinka team in August
May have missed some things but it appears to me things are moving in a positive direction

Next and most important item is to get Cuylle signed to bring this thing back to where it belongs as one of the top franchises in the CHL

Petes

Jun 23, 2014
Great offseason so far for Petes

• Hiring of Bob Gainey as advisor role
  • Hiring of coach Rob Wilson who brings pro experience coaching and playing hard lined game that the current roster needs
  • 3 signings from OHL draft so far....
  • Euros NHL pick Liam Kirk had great reviews from Arizona and youngster Cermak appears to be a highly skilled player
  • Chisholm and Sem NHL picks —sem reported by TSN as having an outstanding camp with leafs—Chisholm has a lot of success as well
  • Paquette, Gallant, Fraser, Wells and Gogolev all headed to NHL development camps
  • Robertson and prospect Paquette chosen to US Hlinka team in August
May have missed some things but it appears to me things are moving in a positive direction

Next and most important item is to get Cuylle signed to bring this thing back to where it belongs as one of the top franchises in the CHL

Cuylle makes or breaks the offseason for me. You cant afford to have the third overall pick not report to your team... will be a massive setback in what could have been a quick rebuild.

Reactions: Petes1

MoWanchuk1

Feb 18, 2017
Cuylle makes or breaks the offseason for me. You cant afford to have the third overall pick not report to your team... will be a massive setback in what could have been a quick rebuild.
Oh cmon I get it’s a big part for sure but nothing positive out of all that geez you must be a real fun machine at the local bingo Saturday nights....OS seemed to do fine without mete among other no shows that I don’t have time to dig up

Radzy

Aug 28, 2012
Oh cmon I get it’s a big part for sure but nothing positive out of all that geez you must be a real fun machine at the local bingo Saturday nights....OS seemed to do fine without mete among other no shows that I don’t have time to dig up

Not to mention the draft picks could be flipped for a player or two that could benefit the team more short term. Which could have a bigger impact in the long term.

Square Corners

Mar 1, 2018
Not to mention the draft picks could be flipped for a player or two that could benefit the team more short term. Which could have a bigger impact in the long term.

Unless he actually goes to Penn State and we get no picks (i.e. Tortora). In which case we would basically just be trading the 2018 3rd overall pick for the 2019 5th overall pick lol

SaginawFan

Apr 29, 2017
I guess with the recent import draft and Saginaw getting a goalie, the Wells / Gilmour deal is dead.

Radzy

Aug 28, 2012
Petes Alumni Tyson Baker is going to be a ref in the NHL after just 1 year of being a ref in the OHL.

Radzy

Aug 28, 2012
Unless he actually goes to Penn State and we get no picks (i.e. Tortora). In which case we would basically just be trading the 2018 3rd overall pick for the 2019 5th overall pick lol

Its funny he picked Penn State to commit to considering the other high draft pick we selected (I think it was a third round pick) is also commited to Penn State and I also believe he has the same agent.
There is a few players from his team that have commited to NCAA teams.

I also saw that former Petes Alumni Dale McTavish's kid is OHL draftable next year i wonder if the Petes have talked to Dale about continuing his legacy here and allowing us to draft his kid. Dale does own the Pembroke team in the CCHL.

Petes

Jun 23, 2014
Its funny he picked Penn State to commit to considering the other high draft pick we selected (I think it was a third round pick) is also commited to Penn State and I also believe he has the same agent.
There is a few players from his team that have commited to NCAA teams.

I also saw that former Petes Alumni Dale McTavish's kid is OHL draftable next year i wonder if the Petes have talked to Dale about continuing his legacy here and allowing us to draft his kid. Dale does own the Pembroke team in the CCHL.

I think you are thinking of Jack Bar... he is committed to Harvard.

Bra Wavers

Feb 19, 2016
I think you are thinking of Jack Bar... he is committed to Harvard.
I think he was referring to Tyler Paquette, drafted by the Petes out of the Hill School in Pensylvania in 2017. Penn State commit for 20-21

Bra Wavers

Feb 19, 2016
Then he's a 13th round pick, not a 3rd round pick. Big difference lol

He would have been a 3rd round pick if he didn't tell teams he was going NCAA.
Born in PA, Prep school in PA and now committed to Penn State.
He is playing on the USA Hlinka team in August......he is a blue chipper. He will get drafted into the NHL next June........hopefully his NHL team suggests he play in the OHL........he would be a great get for the 2019-2020 season.

Reactions: MoWanchuk1

Petes

Jun 23, 2014
He is playing on the USA Hlinka team in August......he is a blue chipper. He will get drafted into the NHL next June........hopefully his NHL team suggests he play in the OHL........he would be a great get for the 2019-2020 season.

That'll be our go for it season... so maybe if we convince Cuylle and Bar before then, we can grab this kid too.

One step at a time I guess... I'll be very pleasantly surprised if any of them ever wear maroon and white. Go ahead, prove me wrong Oke.

Last edited:

Square Corners

Mar 1, 2018

Blue chippers who have a chance to come to the OHL don’t get drafted in the 13th round... ‍Also born in PA, played in PA, now committed in PA. That’s no fake commit, that sounds like his dream school

bcspragu

Aug 17, 2012
Saginaw, MI
Blue chippers who have a chance to come to the OHL don’t get drafted in the 13th round... ‍Also born in PA, played in PA, now committed in PA. That’s no fake commit, that sounds like his dream school

Not a 13th rounder but Saginaw got Jake Goldowski to commit. Same circumstances PA kid committed to Penn State

Bra Wavers

Feb 19, 2016
Not a 13th rounder but Saginaw got Jake Goldowski to commit. Same circumstances PA kid committed to Penn State
The bottom line is that things happen and plans change.........hopefully the plans change for one or two of Cuylle, Bar and Paquette.
Btw......am I correct in saying that NCAA commitment isn’t even worth the paper it’s written on?

Square Corners

Mar 1, 2018

But the 4th round and the 13th round are very different. They clearly had some inclination that he would at least strongly consider the OHL at some point to take him in the 4th (same with Bar I assume for us)

MoWanchuk1

Feb 18, 2017
The bottom line is that things happen and plans change.........hopefully the plans change for one or two of Cuylle, Bar and Paquette.
Btw......am I correct in saying that NCAA commitment isn’t even worth the paper it’s written on?
Totally agree means nothing if the right situation comes along...family agent and nhl drafted team all have a say, what good is an ncaa scholarship education to a high end guy that will make the nhl? Not going to likely graduate anyways! Cuylle has high nhl projection now at 20, 21 he should be in the show...ncaa??? What for makes no sense he’ll have to move on at that age so may as well play in the ohl this is a huge bluff hurts their career playing tier 2 ask Mcbain..not all but for high potential it’s crazy to me

Generalsupdates

@GeneralsUpdates on Twitter
Sep 4, 2017
Totally agree means nothing if the right situation comes along...family agent and nhl drafted team all have a say, what good is an ncaa scholarship education to a high end guy that will make the nhl? Not going to likely graduate anyways! Cuylle has high nhl projection now at 20, 21 he should be in the show...ncaa??? What for makes no sense he’ll have to move on at that age so may as well play in the ohl this is a huge bluff hurts their career playing tier 2 ask Mcbain..not all but for high potential it’s crazy to me

The NCAA guys finish their educations in the summers usually on their off time. No matter how good of a hockey player you are, don't see how you could ever say "what good is a ncaa education" lol.

One knee/head injury before you sign your big contract and now you're out of hockey with no money and a high school diploma? Good luck

Reactions: TheCoach

MoWanchuk1

Feb 18, 2017
My point is the age old debate I feel high end players are much better off going the chl route. “Lol” I personally know 3 guys that went pro didn’t finish their ncaa courses ( one was sports officiating!) 1 stuck pro other 2 found jobs insurance and real estate and are doing just fine with their connections from hockey. Not many finish their ncaa degree as you say once hitting pro I’ve found. And I said high end guy but thanks

Bra Wavers

Feb 19, 2016
This was something I read on the Ice Dogs forum.......

Langdon and Lochleed left the Dogs for Western now we need two over agers I heard rumblings of Timms from the Petes now that it looks he might comeback to the O

If the Petes do trade Timms to Niagara (closer to home for him and a team that should contend this season), I hope they have conditions attached to it.
Here are some recent August trades of OA Dmen and what the return was for them:

August 2015, Windsor traded Graeme Brown to Kingston as an OA for a 4th round pick.

August 2016, Guelph traded CJ Garcia to Saginaw as an OA for a 3rd, 2nd and 4th round pick.

August 2017, North Bay traded Zach Shankar to Niagara as an OA for the Ice Dogs a 5th round pick.

Timms is a different style of defenseman than the other three and Oke is definitely not dealing from a position of power, given the rough season he had last year.

Here are the "Jekell and Hyde" seasons of Matt Timms
16/17
68 GP 63 pts + 6

17/18
46 GP 35 pts - 28

I have to assume that the Petes could get a 4th or 5th round pick that would improve with certain conditions being met. It is possible that Timms comes back healthy and strong in September and has a season more like 16/17.

Maybe...
Timms to the Ice Dogs for their 2021 4th round pick that becomes
- the 2021 3rd round pick if Timms scores between 50 and 59 points OR
- the 2021 Petes' 2nd round pick is returned if Timms scores 60 points or more

Any opinions?

Petes

Jun 23, 2014
This was something I read on the Ice Dogs forum.......

Langdon and Lochleed left the Dogs for Western now we need two over agers I heard rumblings of Timms from the Petes now that it looks he might comeback to the O

If the Petes do trade Timms to Niagara (closer to home for him and a team that should contend this season), I hope they have conditions attached to it.
Here are some recent August trades of OA Dmen and what the return was for them:

August 2015, Windsor traded Graeme Brown to Kingston as an OA for a 4th round pick.

August 2016, Guelph traded CJ Garcia to Saginaw as an OA for a 3rd, 2nd and 4th round pick.

August 2017, North Bay traded Zach Shankar to Niagara as an OA for the Ice Dogs a 5th round pick.

Timms is a different style of defenseman than the other three and Oke is definitely not dealing from a position of power, given the rough season he had last year.

Here are the "Jekell and Hyde" seasons of Matt Timms
16/17
68 GP 63 pts + 6

17/18
46 GP 35 pts - 28

I have to assume that the Petes could get a 4th or 5th round pick that would improve with certain conditions being met. It is possible that Timms comes back healthy and strong in September and has a season more like 16/17.

Maybe...
Timms to the Ice Dogs for their 2021 4th round pick that becomes
- the 2021 3rd round pick if Timms scores between 50 and 59 points OR
- the 2021 Petes' 2nd round pick is returned if Timms scores 60 points or more

Any opinions?

Not a bad idea... but at most I think you get a third for him. Gotta remember he will miss start of season recovering from shoulder surgery..

Status
Not open for further replies.

Ad

Upcoming events

Ad

Ad