Peterborough Petes 2018-19 Season Thread

Status
Not open for further replies.

OHLEYE

Oct 17, 2006
In the conference the Petes are 7th in goals against, and 9th in goals.

You aren't going to win many games with 1 first round pick in the lineup; I believe the Petes have only won three.

Maybe that goal will get Beraldo going. He was +6 in the first three games, but has only two plus games since then. He was -6 in the last five games before tonight.

WillardJFredricks

May 7, 2004
Will SDA ever be held accountable? 1 goal this year. -8 in the last 2 games. Why would he be thrown back out there repeatedly when he's so poor defensively? And it's not like he's producing points, either. I know he was benched for a few minutes on Thursday night, but I really think he needs to be sat, or at least dropped to the 4th line for a weekend. Something to wake him up.

At least it's Kingston in on Thursday. Good way to (hopefully) get a win.

EDIT: According to the Examiner, SDA was benched in the 3rd tonight. But after a -5. Hopefully the next step is the press box or the 4th line.

Last edited:

viewfromabove

Nov 29, 2017
Will SDA ever be held accountable? 1 goal this year. -8 in the last 2 games. Why would he be thrown back out there repeatedly when he's so poor defensively? And it's not like he's producing points, either. I know he was benched for a few minutes on Thursday night, but I really think he needs to be sat, or at least dropped to the 4th line for a weekend. Something to wake him up.

He doesn’t look interested. Trade?

WillardJFredricks

May 7, 2004
He doesn’t look interested. Trade?

I'd be fine with it. It's his 3rd season and he's never really done anything special for the Petes. I know he was drafted by the Leafs, but if you get right down to it he hasn't done too much in 2 1/3 seasons here. Certainly not to justify being a 1rst line player, at any rate.

Last edited:

Petes

Jun 23, 2014
I don't think it's panic time for the team. I expect this is what we'll have all year: a solid few games followed by a bad few. Over and over. They're a mediocre team that will finish around 70-75 points and probably be 4-7th in the conference. The great start probably hurt expectations.

I agree. To be honest I kinda expected us to be horrendous this season... we’ve over achieved so far which makes the losses that much more frustrating because we know they’re capable.

WillardJFredricks

May 7, 2004
I agree. To be honest I kinda expected us to be horrendous this season... we’ve over achieved so far which makes the losses that much more frustrating because we know they’re capable.

Yep. I was expecting a tough fight just to make the playoffs. I feel like this team could even win a round. Obviously playoffs are a long way off. The inconsistency is annoying. If they could get the PP going it would help. And if Robertson can get healthy and come back in the new year along with Gallant that will be a big help.

Petes

Jun 23, 2014
Yep. I was expecting a tough fight just to make the playoffs. I feel like this team could even win a round. Obviously playoffs are a long way off. The inconsistency is annoying. If they could get the PP going it would help. And if Robertson can get healthy and come back in the new year along with Gallant that will be a big help.

On the bright side... if we finish anywhere from 6-8 in the conference we could have two top ten picks in the upcoming OHL draft.

OHLEYE

Oct 17, 2006

EDIT: According to the Examiner, SDA was benched in the 3rd tonight. But after a -5. Hopefully the next step is the press box or the 4th line.

It is faith night.

The next 6 games are winnable, but 2 of them are against Hamilton who we're winless in three against.

I posted my comment about SDA when he was only a -2. Shouldn't that have been enough for Wilson to make a change? Continually putting a guy out there who is struggling is not smart.

Grondin (who needs to be better) has 2 goals in seven games for the Petes. That's 1 more goal than SDA has the entire season. The centers on this team are not good and won't be next season unless changes are made.

Petes1

Oct 26, 2002
Having two top 10 picks is only an advantage if you are picking two top 10 players though...

The 5th overall pick has to be someone that is willing to report. The agents and players are pretty much in control of what the Petes do with that pick.

I don't see the benefits of being a bad team, even if it means that second pick is higher.

Reactions: Petes

Square Corners

Mar 1, 2018
I agree with this. Jones looks flat out tired in both games he starts in the back to back and gets shelled both times. We need to go get a goalie that our coach actually trusts as the backup or we’re going to ruin hunter jones like we did Dylan wells, by playing him way too much and running him into the ground

WillardJFredricks

May 7, 2004
He should, but I assume he won't because Wilson will want to end the losing steak and he clearly doesn't trust Austin

Yep. It would actually be a good weekend to give Austin 2 starts, as Erie isn't anything special either. Let Jones play the Sunday in Hamilton. But I'd expect Jones to start both Thursday and Sunday.

Taking a look at the schedule, I'd like to see Austin start 4 of the 10 before the holiday break. Obviously it would be based on how he plays, but if he played 2 next weekend, one of the games against North Bay/Sudbury and maybe the the home game vs. Flint, that would give Jones a much deserved rest before the break. And this isn't entirely based on the past 2 games, as that will happen to anyone and Jones has been outstanding in most games this year. I'd just like to see Austin get some action and keep Jones fresh because it looks like, aside from Ottawa (and Kingston at the other end) the East will be wide open and most playoff seeds and won't be decided until into March. It would be good to have Jones fresh if he needs to play the bulk of the games in the new year.

Last edited:

Square Corners

Mar 1, 2018
I believe that you're the one who claims to know everything. You said "You're not getting Robertson for any less than Supryka and 4 2nds+3 3rds. You have to pay that if you're not giving up an '02 first"

Cliff Pu had similar numbers and didn't get that return. Eire basically got that for Raddysh AND Sambrook. Raddysh was a 110 point player and Sambrook was one of if not the best available D on the market last year and he's a 1.5 year player. I don't know everything but I'm pretty sure Connor McDavid is probably the only rental player that would fetch seven 2nd/3rd round picks along with a young player.

It cost Constantinou (who is a legit 1st/2nd round nhl prospect, unlike Supryka) and Ian martin and 4 2nds+3 3rds, which is literally exactly what I said it would cost. So I accept your apology

Last edited:
Reactions: Generalsupdates

Bra Wavers

Feb 19, 2016
I hear that the Petes announcers (radio and TV) were relieved that J Paquette and J Robertson traded to the Petes. That might have made things messy with the play by play with 2 Robertson’s and 2 Paquettes.

Hoping Austin gets the call Thursday now vs Kingston

MCur19

Sep 27, 2017
What a haul King received
DateTeamTransfersToTeamTransfers
Nov. 20KGNJacob Paquette
Jason Robertson
NIAGBilly Constantinou
Ian Martin
SAR 2 2019
WSR 7 2019
WSR 3 2020