Peterborough Petes 2018-19 Season Thread (Part 3)

Status
Not open for further replies.

Square Corners

Mar 1, 2018
Word in Vancouver is that DiPietro is flying to Washington to meet with Canucks and will serve as an emergency backup. Could be a bonus for the Petes if he's not available to play Thursday.

But their backup leads the league in wins..... haha not bad for a backup goalie

Reactions: Ptbomillsy619

Diaero

Nov 29, 2016
before the Christmas break we looked like a sleeper team that could actually upset the #1 seed. Since then we've probably been one of the worst teams in the league, and we'd be lucky to not be swept in the first round. Let's hope they play like they did that one game in December where we took down the 67's.

Reactions: Bra Wavers

WillardJFredricks

May 7, 2004
I wonder how much of the good first half was Jones playing so well. Now that he's playing more average, the problems are really exposed. At this point winning 1 playoff game would be an accomplishment. At least the #5 seed is still a real possibility. But if Oshawa is #4 it won't be a long series.

Petes

Jun 23, 2014
I wonder how much of the good first half was Jones playing so well. Now that he's playing more average, the problems are really exposed. At this point winning 1 playoff game would be an accomplishment. At least the #5 seed is still a real possibility. But if Oshawa is #4 it won't be a long series.

I think we want to finish in whatever seed has us playing Sudbury. That’s our best chance at winning a round, in my opinion.

WillardJFredricks

May 7, 2004
I think we want to finish in whatever seed has us playing Sudbury. That’s our best chance at winning a round, in my opinion.

Completely agree. I think there's no chance against Ottawa, Niagara or Oshawa. Not to win 4 of 7, at least. Sudbury would make for a good series, I think. And it would be nice to see them play a different team than normal in the playoffs. I could see them beating the Wolves and it being a fun, long series.

P.S. before any Wolves fans take offence, it's not meant to slight Sudbury. I just think Ottawa and Niagara are clearly the top 2 in the East, and the Petes have a lot of trouble with Oshawa, as shown this past weekend. So I'd rather them play a team I feel they have a chance at beating.

Last edited:
Reactions: Petesfan8

viewfromabove

Nov 29, 2017
Completely agree. I think there's no chance against Ottawa, Niagara or Oshawa. Not to win 4 of 7, at least. Sudbury would make for a good series, I think. And it would be nice to see them play a different team than normal in the playoffs. I could see them beating the Wolves and it being a fun, long series.

P.S. before any Wolves fans take offence, it's not meant to slight Sudbury. I just think Ottawa and Niagara are clearly the top 2 in the East, and the Petes have a lot of trouble with Oshawa, as shown this past weekend. So I'd rather them play a team I feel they have a chance at beating.
Let’s just get in at this point.

viewfromabove

Nov 29, 2017
They have a lot of winnable games left (which, I know, means nothing). I'll be shocked if they miss.
I was reading the program the other night and what a coincidence the article in the examiner comes out the next day about our lack of scoring. Have you seen some of the number these 16 year old rookies are putting up across the league? I think there are 5 players with more goals than any of our players. Such a shame we cant convince these players to come to Peterborough. I cant see how anyone will be rushing to get here next year either.

WillardJFredricks

May 7, 2004
I was reading the program the other night and what a coincidence the article in the examiner comes out the next day about our lack of scoring. Have you seen some of the number these 16 year old rookies are putting up across the league? I think there are 5 players with more goals than any of our players. Such a shame we cant convince these players to come to Peterborough. I cant see how anyone will be rushing to get here next year either.

The lack of scoring is the biggest head scratcher about this team, in my opinion. Until this past weekend nobody had 20 goals. You just have to look at the program each game and see (almost every game) the disparity in points between players on the Petes and players on the opposition. I think some of that has to be because the power play is so bad.

Reactions: viewfromabove

Diaero

Nov 29, 2016
It's also just classic Petes form to be a low scoring team that relies on goaltending to win games.

When was the last time we had a player in the top 10 for league scoring? Top 20? Top 30?

With a combo of Robertson and Gogolev between SDA coming into the season, that line should have been scoring multiple times every game. For whatever reason we got SDA playing at half speed and Robertson recovering from injuries.

We also chose overagers who had career high in points of 48, 35, and 17. These guys aren't going to suddenly crack 70-80 points.

It is a head scratcher but also classic Petes at the same time.

Reactions: WillardJFredricks

Hockey Stick

Jan 3, 2018
It's also just classic Petes form to be a low scoring team that relies on goaltending to win games.

When was the last time we had a player in the top 10 for league scoring? Top 20? Top 30?

With a combo of Robertson and Gogolev between SDA coming into the season, that line should have been scoring multiple times every game. For whatever reason we got SDA playing at half speed and Robertson recovering from injuries.

We also chose overagers who had career high in points of 48, 35, and 17. These guys aren't going to suddenly crack 70-80 points.

110% agree with that first part, I've always compared the Petes to my habs for that exact reason. I think the last guy to score at a decent league wide rate was Ritchie? I haven't seen his juniour stats in a while

Petesfan8

Dec 18, 2017
The lack of scoring is the biggest head scratcher about this team, in my opinion. Until this past weekend nobody had 20 goals. You just have to look at the program each game and see (almost every game) the disparity in points between players on the Petes and players on the opposition. I think some of that has to be because the power play is so bad.
In your opinion why is the Power Play so bad?

WillardJFredricks

May 7, 2004
In your opinion why is the Power Play so bad?

To me it seems like they try too many passes and don't go to the net. They have a lot of skilled guys, so it makes sense that they want to set up pretty plays, but it clearly doesn't work for this team. I feel like they need to drive to the net, take shots and go for rebounds. Create a bit of chaos out there and not let the opposition set up defensively.

SDA has a nice shot but he won't use it, so teams don't even have to worry about it. He'll just hold on to the puck for a while and then turn it over. I'd be quite fine with seeing Parker-Jones out in front of the net a bit. He clearly doesn't have the skill of some of the others, but, again, they're not doing anything out there on the PP so they might as well try something else. At least to mix it up.

I wouldn't mind seeing Fraser out on the point the odd time. He has a hard shot when he lets it rip and if you have people around the net looking to deflect and/or get a rebound, it might add another dimension.

It's really baffling that with the skill (Merkley, SDA, Robertson in particular) that the PP is so ineffective. The pretty passes for pretty goals are nice when they work, but it most often doesn't (16th or 17th overall in PP, I believe) so I'd like to see them create bit of chaos and really drive to the net to try to make something happen. Put pressure on the other team and see if they make mistakes. The Petes PP setup seems too predictable, slow and easy for decent teams to defend against. Try to get those opposing 4 players scrambling a bit and more space will open up. That's only my uneducated, fans opinion, however.

Reactions: PenaltyBoxPetesFan

NorthernVoice

Oct 5, 2017
It's really baffling that with the skill (Merkley, SDA, Robertson in particular) that the PP is so ineffective. The pretty passes for pretty goals are nice when they work, but it most often doesn't (16th or 17th overall in PP, I believe) so I'd like to see them create bit of chaos and really drive to the net to try to make something happen. Put pressure on the other team and see if they make mistakes. The Petes PP setup seems too predictable, slow and easy for decent teams to defend against. Try to get those opposing 4 players scrambling a bit and more space will open up. That's only my uneducated, fans opinion, however.
Merkley's point shots, which are almost always aimed at getting deflected or causing a rebound cause chaos and it's obviously not a coincidence the power play has improved since he's been here, he has 9 power play points in 18 games.

Aside from him, I agree, there needs to be way more movement on the PP. What happened to the Timms/Korostelev play where Timms would draw them in and Korostelev would come over the top with the big cannon. I think I said this here before but for his defensive flaws, the Petes had a top 10 PP both years Timms QB'd it.

Last year DeNoble had 15 power play goals just from going to the net consistently. It's probably no coincidence that Butler is second on this team with 4 PPG (though it is absurd that 4 is enough for second most).

As for SDA, I wouldn't take him off the power play but I probably would move him to the second unit. The first unit IMO has to have Merkley and Robertson on it. I'd probably have Paquette and Kirk on it as well because they aren't afraid to pound the puck at the net. The fifth guy would be a big net front guy, either Butler or Gallant - probably Gallant to win the draw and gain possession.

Then the second could be run by Chisholm at the point or SDA on the half wall, with Timleck, Cermak and Butler

Reactions: WillardJFredricks

Hockey Stick

Jan 3, 2018
To me it seems like they try too many passes and don't go to the net. They have a lot of skilled guys, so it makes sense that they want to set up pretty plays, but it clearly doesn't work for this team. I feel like they need to drive to the net, take shots and go for rebounds. Create a bit of chaos out there and not let the opposition set up defensively.

SDA has a nice shot but he won't use it, so teams don't even have to worry about it. He'll just hold on to the puck for a while and then turn it over. I'd be quite fine with seeing Parker-Jones out in front of the net a bit. He clearly doesn't have the skill of some of the others, but, again, they're not doing anything out there on the PP so they might as well try something else. At least to mix it up.

I wouldn't mind seeing Fraser out on the point the odd time. He has a hard shot when he lets it rip and if you have people around the net looking to deflect and/or get a rebound, it might add another dimension.

I agree on the Fraser part, they had Kyle Jenkins for the exact same thing, his cannon shot! And it adds one more thing for teams to consider when they're trying to set up

WillardJFredricks

May 7, 2004
Merkley's point shots, which are almost always aimed at getting deflected or causing a rebound cause chaos and it's obviously not a coincidence the power play has improved since he's been here, he has 9 power play points in 18 games.

Aside from him, I agree, there needs to be way more movement on the PP. What happened to the Timms/Korostelev play where Timms would draw them in and Korostelev would come over the top with the big cannon. I think I said this here before but for his defensive flaws, the Petes had a top 10 PP both years Timms QB'd it.

Last year DeNoble had 15 power play goals just from going to the net consistently. It's probably no coincidence that Butler is second on this team with 4 PPG (though it is absurd that 4 is enough for second most).

As for SDA, I wouldn't take him off the power play but I probably would move him to the second unit. The first unit IMO has to have Merkley and Robertson on it. I'd probably have Paquette and Kirk on it as well because they aren't afraid to pound the puck at the net. The fifth guy would be a big net front guy, either Butler or Gallant - probably Gallant to win the draw and gain possession.

Then the second could be run by Chisholm at the point or SDA on the half wall, with Timleck, Cermak and Butler

Kirk is also really good at finding an open spot and getting a quick shot off. He seems to be be able to stay under the radar but be open for either a shot or a rebound.

Reactions: dirty12

Petes1987

Oct 13, 2013

If Nick Robertson had not been injured earlier in the year he likely would have been in the top 20 in scoring this year. In 2015-2016 we had Hunter Garlent (12) and Eric Cornel (13) in the top 20 in scoring.

dirty12

Mar 6, 2015
Kirk is also really good at finding an open spot and getting a quick shot off. He seems to be be able to stay under the radar but be open for either a shot or a rebound.

Seems most effective RW with Merkley on the ice. Kirk gets open.

Square Corners

Mar 1, 2018
If Nick Robertson had not been injured earlier in the year he likely would have been in the top 20 in scoring this year. In 2015-2016 we had Hunter Garlent (12) and Eric Cornel (13) in the top 20 in scoring.

I think you're forgetting how slow the start to the season was for Robertson. He's scoring at 1.11 points per game this season. So if he had played in all 50 games, that'd be 55 points, which is what Merkley has (32nd in the OHL in points)

1.11 points per game is 46th in the OHL in that category

NorthernVoice

Oct 5, 2017
Supryka had a three point game on the weekend and is up to 5 points in 10 games for Hamilton. Also -8 though in those ten games though.

Status
Not open for further replies.

Ad

Upcoming events

Ad

Ad

-->