Peterborough Petes 2018-19 Season Thread (Part 3)

Status
Not open for further replies.

INTENTIONALLYOFFSIDE

Feb 20, 2017
OK, one last time trying to explain this to you; unless you played the game you wouldn't understand the culture in a dressing room.
I'll put it to you this way, Merkley is ultra talented but he has one of the worst personalities for hockey - basketball would embrace him. Peterborough did Guelph and more importantly the league a favor in trading for him. If you don't know why the Petes got him and the relationship connection I can't help you there.
Let's just say that it was so bad in Guelph that a parent dictated what options Guelph had with Merkley and if they didn't comply then things were going to go public. It would not only taint Guelph and their management but it would leave a terrible black mark on the league for letting these things go on.
Back to the players, guys on the Petes knew some of the things going on in Guelph before the trade, probably more so than the Pete's management because they don't like to air their dirty laundry but players like to gossip and mock other guy's antics.
Now Pete's players are dealing with that personality first hand and are not happy with it. Hence, their declining play, mood and body language. Merkley is not the only reason, he is just the catalyst.
Lastly, there are 3 players who had the balls to request trades that are ecstatic to be away from Merkley / Guelph and probably a few more who are still left on the team. Guelph as a whole is happy to have moved on.
The only people upset about the trade is a small cliche of players in Guelph who don't get to benefit from Merkley's free spending and a growing number of knowledgeable Pete's fans.
I am done with the subject, he is your issue now and for the young man's sake, I hope someone can talk some sense into him. He has great talent and is wasting with a p!$$ poor attitude.

Diaero

Nov 29, 2016
I would start Austin against London and honestly scratch Jones, not for performance issues or discipline but to give him an eye in the sky view of what's going on and get him off the bench against a team that we know is going to steamroll us.

At this point we're battling for 7th/8th in the East, and Jones is battling for his NHL life as I imagine he's not hovering around the 2nd round on a lot of teams draft boards anymore. If he can regain his confidence and form we can get into the post-season, but if Wilson and Co are just gonna roll him out every game with no confidence we're toast. Hit the reset button on him, give him a couple games off.

Newbie Observer

Feb 18, 2019
you people are tough on merkley I think they knew what they were getting. This year wasnt going to be there year so why not take a chance to see if they can turn him around. If they can, watch out for next year.. if not they let him go for a bag of pucks

Northernstormfan

Apr 26, 2015
Northern Ontario
Storm fan here, have you guy/gals noticed how your board conversations have been since Merkley came to the Pete's? This is what he does to fans and his teammates alike. He causes controversy. It follows him like a black cloud. Our board was the same while he was in Guelph now it's back to minimal conversations and it's nice that the fan fighting is gone. Hopefully your board is able to get back to normal soon.

WillardJFredricks

May 7, 2004
I would start Austin against London and honestly scratch Jones, not for performance issues or discipline but to give him an eye in the sky view of what's going on and get him off the bench against a team that we know is going to steamroll us.

At this point we're battling for 7th/8th in the East, and Jones is battling for his NHL life as I imagine he's not hovering around the 2nd round on a lot of teams draft boards anymore. If he can regain his confidence and form we can get into the post-season, but if Wilson and Co are just gonna roll him out every game with no confidence we're toast. Hit the reset button on him, give him a couple games off.

The only issue I'd have is who backs up Austin? Curran, I assume. But looking at his numbers this year and last with Lindsay, I don't think they'd want him in an OHL game (though to be fair, numbers don't always tell the whole story). I fully agree that Austin should start Thursday, though. Maybe give Jones the Sunday game vs. Kingston and Austin the other 2. Jones needs a rest, it appears, both physically and maybe mentally.

Reactions: Bra Wavers

Bra Wavers

Feb 19, 2016
Storm fan here, have you guy/gals noticed how your board conversations have been since Merkley came to the Pete's? This is what he does to fans and his teammates alike. He causes controversy. It follows him like a black cloud. Our board was the same while he was in Guelph now it's back to minimal conversations and it's nice that the fan fighting is gone. Hopefully your board is able to get back to normal soon.
I know there have some behaviours from Merkley that have been disappointing since he arrived, but it's the poor team play and results that are the real cause of the frustration on this board IMO. If the Petes had a winning record since Merkley arrived there would be more talk about who our 1st round match-up will be and can we win that series.

I know this is a tough stretch for the team, but you know what?......adversity reveals character. Better to find out NOW who is going to be an asset next season during crunch time. For next season, I'm optimistic that Merkley will be a positive asset overall. I don't expect perfection but I don't want to see him dogging it back to the D zone after turning the puck over at the top of the PP either.

dirty12

Mar 6, 2015

The black cloud might form from winning less? There’s been some discussion of the coach’s ability and a lack of player interest on the storm board recently.

Hockeyguy54

Dec 5, 2018
Do you guys think that the Pete’s will hold on to that last playoff spot, or do you guys think Barrie will catch them?

Ptbomillsy619

Dec 17, 2017
Do you guys think that the Pete’s will hold on to that last playoff spot, or do you guys think Barrie will catch them?

IMO We will make the playoffs are schedule we have the easier games still play kingston 3 more times is huge Barrie has more top tier opponents remaining. March 9th we play Barrie in Barrie that game could be the deciding factor But if we continue to play the way we have it won’t matter either way

WillardJFredricks

May 7, 2004

I think they'll make it. I still wouldn't be too shocked if they end up as high as 6th. As mentioned, Barrie has a tougher schedule, and quite frankly, it's tough for a team to keep playing as poorly as the Petes have been the past 10-15 games. They're due to play at least .500 for a stretch. I'll be shocked if they miss.

WillardJFredricks

May 7, 2004
I think they'll make it. I still wouldn't be too shocked if they end up as high as 6th. As mentioned, Barrie has a tougher schedule, and quite frankly, it's tough for a team to keep playing as poorly as the Petes have been the past 10-15 games. They're due to play at least .500 for a stretch. I'll be shocked if they miss.

Taking a closer look at their remaining schedule, I don't think it's unrealistic for them to pick up 10 or even 12 points in their final 12 games.

Reactions: Ptbomillsy619

Petesfan8

Dec 18, 2017

Apparently Fraser absent from practice today.

NorthernVoice

Oct 5, 2017
These conversations have been sparked almost 100% by Storm fans

Hockey Stick

Jan 3, 2018
OK, one last time trying to explain this to you; unless you played the game you wouldn't understand the culture in a dressing room.
I'll put it to you this way, Merkley is ultra talented but he has one of the worst personalities for hockey - basketball would embrace him. Peterborough did Guelph and more importantly the league a favor in trading for him. If you don't know why the Petes got him and the relationship connection I can't help you there.
Let's just say that it was so bad in Guelph that a parent dictated what options Guelph had with Merkley and if they didn't comply then things were going to go public. It would not only taint Guelph and their management but it would leave a terrible black mark on the league for letting these things go on.
Back to the players, guys on the Petes knew some of the things going on in Guelph before the trade, probably more so than the Pete's management because they don't like to air their dirty laundry but players like to gossip and mock other guy's antics.
Now Pete's players are dealing with that personality first hand and are not happy with it. Hence, their declining play, mood and body language. Merkley is not the only reason, he is just the catalyst.
Lastly, there are 3 players who had the balls to request trades that are ecstatic to be away from Merkley / Guelph and probably a few more who are still left on the team. Guelph as a whole is happy to have moved on.
The only people upset about the trade is a small cliche of players in Guelph who don't get to benefit from Merkley's free spending and a growing number of knowledgeable Pete's fans.
I am done with the subject, he is your issue now and for the young man's sake, I hope someone can talk some sense into him. He has great talent and is wasting with a p!$$ poor attitude.
I've happened to play for 15 years, across AA, AAA, High School, and now college Intramural, and literally not once has that supposed 'culture' ever been in any of my locker rooms. Hockey is a sport different than all others, it has brought teammates closer than I have ever seen. Nobody that is playing at a level, like the OHL, that can help give them an opportunity for a future career in hockey, would ever sacrifice their own play just because they're sick of a guy on their team. That's an absolutely ridiculous thing to pull out of your ass, and the only people that would ever suggest otherwise, are ones who have truly never played the game. Keep that nonsense away from this thread, because it is so ass-backwards

Last edited:

INTENTIONALLYOFFSIDE

Feb 20, 2017
Hockey is a sport different than all others, it has brought teammates closer than I have ever seen.
I don't disagree with your sentiment, I have teammates from 30 years ago I still talk with but I also have former teammates I wouldn't waste the spit on if I passed them on fire.
We're not talking minor hockey buddy buddy here and no due respect; comparing college intramural to the OHL is ridiculous.
There are so many levels to this that it would take a chapter or two in a book to break down.
Let's leave as all the Storm fans are mad cause Merkley got traded and are only here stirring up s#!t because they are jealous of Peterborough's success since he has joined your team.

Newbie Observer

Feb 18, 2019
Cole Fraser will miss a second straight game as a healthy scratch, Wilson said. He's not played since smashing his stick and throwing it in Saturday's loss in Hamilton.
Wilson was tight-lipped about the situation other than to say, "There is a standard we demand and expect of our players," Wilson said.

WillardJFredricks

May 7, 2004
Cole Fraser will miss a second straight game as a healthy scratch, Wilson said. He's not played since smashing his stick and throwing it in Saturday's loss in Hamilton.
Wilson was tight-lipped about the situation other than to say, "There is a standard we demand and expect of our players," Wilson said.

Unless there is something off the ice, the standard seems to apply differently to different players.

Reactions: Zebra and Finster8
Status
Not open for further replies.

Ad

Upcoming events

Ad

Ad

-->