Peterborough Petes 2018-19 Season Thread (Part 2)

Status
Not open for further replies.

Lycanthrope

Dec 3, 2011
The 3 year thing is an option. The draw being if prices go up in the next 3 years (which they will) you don't pay more. A benefit for locking up early. At least that's how I understand it.

There are significant savings for seasons tickets holders. I'd have to double check the renewal form I just got, but usually (especially for early bird renewals) you save around $200 compared to buying a seat individually for each game at the box office. Plus they throw in the first 2 playoff games free (sadly this often doesn't apply for the Petes recently, but it will this year!).
Thanks, nice. I see a lot of commonality with the Wolves and I guess this extends to most organizations. Do you guys have redeemer nights where a season ticket holder can redeem an unused ticket for $5? We do but we no longer have the first two playoff games free this year. I hear you about that, it’s been useless for us for three out of the last four years (man that’s bad in a cyclical league). Ironically we’d (hopefully to heaven) be able to use them this season.

Ptbomillsy619

Dec 17, 2017
So I k ow we’re all upset we have talent not playing up to expectations but this team is right where it should be as we projected before the season started I know we say next year next year but on paper this team was projected 678 a playoff team but that’s it so look at it that way we are building towards next year let’s let them work out there kinks this year hope as things go they are maturing for next year. Metkley is a love hate and always will be for his whole career Gotta just take the good with the bad and hope the good out weighs the bad cause he will win some games and lose some. I love the fact we have a rookie spearing as his partner it will make him a very trust worthy stay at home guy cause he has to be. So if he can do it this year I can’t to see him next year take another step up This team has had the same problem this year as last injuries it happens but unlike last year we have persevered through those injuries There is a lot of negative things we can dwell on and it’s sucks as a fan but look at it as this is who we were supposed to be so we’re not exceeding expectations but playing to them I think we’re fine it’s junior hockey any night a team can win 6-0 and lose 6-0 the next and that’s why I love junior hockey. Sry that was so long. I love our petes as much as the next guy and want nothing more then to see them succeed and I’m hoping for the all in we need next year

Section7fan

Feb 12, 2018
Are you sure that at one time we had team chemistry and now with Merkley here we don't and if so who is your source? On the positive side when Austin let in a questionable goal last night Merkley was the first player to offer encouragement. I don't pretend to know who likes and dislikes who on this team.

I’m glad someone finally said this. Unless you’re in the room and know the players you honestly know nothing and can’t say anything.

Reactions: Diaero

dirty12

Mar 6, 2015
It's a result of being frustrated. The players are as frustrated as the fans. A team that has among the most NHL drafted talent in the league is in a dog-fight for a low seed in a pretty weak division. No matter how much talent we assemble we can't compete with other teams, Oshawa can both rebuild and get completely better than us in one trade deadline while we fish for scraps. It's an organizational rot, and it's been rotting for decades. Yeah we're no longer "The Big Petes" because we're barely even the Petes. We're a shoestring organization that is so barely getting by that this desperate front office is asking fans to pay for their season tickets 3 seasons in advance so they can pocket enough cash to pay the bills today. We're literally mortgaging our future to get by today. That kind of dysfunction doesn't just limit itself to a board of geezers with important titles and parking spots, that ineptitude runs through the veins of the entire organization.

Is Merkley throwing a glove a disgrace? Absolutely. Does Merkley make our team better when he's on the ice? Absolutely. Do wins generate more money? Absolutely. We don't have the luxury to be the classy role models. We'd put any punk on skates right now if it got us a few wins to get more fans in the door. We knew what Merkley was when we got him. We had to put a childhood friend on his defense pairing to help him care about his own defensive play. Kind of says it all. But we knew that, and we needed his skill. We made a deal with the devil.

It's not shocking that skilled players have a longer leash than guys like Fraser. SDA floated around for a couple months before they called him in out in the Examiner. That's the nature of a results oriented business, wins matter more than character.

Here's the plain truth. If we're in 2nd place in the East where we belong with this much talent, than none of these things are an issue. We're not talking about Fraser getting unfair treatment, Merkley isn't frustrated to the point he's diving around trying to draw calls and throwing gloves at refs. The fans aren't frustrated and booing our own powerplay. We're not posting on here about moral character and how we used to be great and giving up our season tickets. This rot is a result of poor results, not just this season but almost every season for a decade plus.

No doubt everyone would be happier winning more. But saying the Petes belong as 2nd in the conference is a stretch. Niagara has 12 - 19 yr olds, Oshawa 8, Ottawa 6 & Sudbury 7. The Petes will have two when Gallant returns.
Next season, the Petes will start with up to 11 - 19 yr olds.

Last edited:

WillardJFredricks

May 7, 2004
Thanks, nice. I see a lot of commonality with the Wolves and I guess this extends to most organizations. Do you guys have redeemer nights where a season ticket holder can redeem an unused ticket for $5? We do but we no longer have the first two playoff games free this year. I hear you about that, it’s been useless for us for three out of the last four years (man that’s bad in a cyclical league). Ironically we’d (hopefully to heaven) be able to use them this season.

I believe the other new idea introduced is that we will no longer get the preseason tickets, but instead will get to redeem tickets for regular season games once or twice. I only glanced at the email and expect to get the full package in the mail pretty soon detailing the new changes. But I think a ticket redemption thing is going to be offered now in lieu of preseason tickets being part of the package.

Reactions: Lycanthrope

WolvesFanSudbury

Oct 8, 2016
Petes looking pretty decent so far . Best of luck for the rest of this game guys . You’re the one team in that 5-9 range I really wanna Dodge in round 1

WillardJFredricks

May 7, 2004
I got curious about the last time the Petes had a scorer finish in the top 10 in league scoring. I knew it had been quite some time, but the last one was Eric Staal in 02-03! It seems a bit strange that they haven't had a top 10 scorer since, as I think every other franchise in the league has. Maybe Robertson can break that streak next season.

Petes

Jun 23, 2014
Here’s hoping Hunter Jones finds his game soon... it’s not all on him, but he’s not the same guy as the first 20 games of the year.

Two top 10 picks it’s looking very realistic right about now.

viewfromabove

Nov 29, 2017
I got curious about the last time the Petes had a scorer finish in the top 10 in league scoring. I knew it had been quite some time, but the last one was Eric Staal in 02-03! It seems a bit strange that they haven't had a top 10 scorer since, as I think every other franchise in the league has. Maybe Robertson can break that streak next season.
Since Twhoey left our top picks have asked for trades once they got here or have refused to come here at all. Our scoring this year isn’t even close to other teams. I wish we could get going. Merkley is a huge plus offensively. If we could finish up front we could get going in the right direction. Paquette to me has been a disappointment. He has so much skill speed and talent He should be dominating. Let’s hope he can turn it around goi g forward. We really need his scoring. Go Petes!

Reactions: WillardJFredricks

Zebra

Feb 12, 2017
Are you sure that at one time we had team chemistry and now with Merkley here we don't and if so who is your source? On the positive side when Austin let in a questionable goal last night Merkley was the first player to offer encouragement. I don't pretend to know who likes and dislikes who on this team.

I think you are "pretending" to know what was said between Merkley and Austin- unless you were on the ice and heard what was said....:D

Diaero

Nov 29, 2016
If we're not going to win a first round series, two top ten picks would be great. I'm actually surprised Oke didn't go all in on this season if we were that desperate for revenue, as additional playoff games would be a huge cashflow.

His contract is up at the end of this season too right?

Diaero

Nov 29, 2016
are there any updates on the Petes Pick 'Em? I've been making my picks and have to put all my info in each time but I don't see any kind of standings or anything

Petesfan8

Dec 18, 2017
I think you are "pretending" to know what was said between Merkley and Austin- unless you were on the ice and heard what was said....:D

No, not pretending. What I saw was Merkley skate back and tap Austin on the pads after the goal and Austin then nodded. You can read what you want out of that but I take it as a positive and I think that 90% of people that watch hockey would see it as a good thing to offer encouragement to a rookie goalie.

Zebra

Feb 12, 2017
No, not pretending. What I saw was Merkley skate back and tap Austin on the pads after the goal and Austin then nodded. You can read what you want out of that but I take it as a positive and I think that 90% of people that watch hockey would see it as a good thing to offer encouragement to a rookie goalie.

Yes -a sportsmanlike team player would offer encouragement to a rookie -however I am not sure Merkley is a sportsmanlike player.

The point being -if you are suggesting that no one knows unless they are in the room -then no one knows unless they are on the ice-

It would be nice if Merkley encouraged the rookie but I wasn’t on the ice so maybe Merkley skated up called him a sieve and Austin nodded.

I guess I should be thankful Merkley didn’t fling a glove at the rookie-

Reactions: Bra Wavers

Petes

Jun 23, 2014
Yeah the Merkley hate on here is absolutely ridiculous and completely not necessary. He is exactly what we thought we were getting... a very talented offensive player that is still learning how to defend. He is a very passionate kid that loves to win and sometimes his emotions get the better of him.... so be it. He can still play for me team, any day. No need to attack his character on an online message board. :help:

MoWanchuk1

Feb 18, 2017
Since Twhoey left our top picks have asked for trades once they got here or have refused to come here at all. Our scoring this year isn’t even close to other teams. I wish we could get going. Merkley is a huge plus offensively. If we could finish up front we could get going in the right direction. Paquette to me has been a disappointment. He has so much skill speed and talent He should be dominating. Let’s hope he can turn it around goi g forward. We really need his scoring. Go Petes!
I know you want to win as a fan and it’s frustrating!
Ritchie traded for assets by team nhl now no demand
Spencer remained until pro nhl pick
Ang traded for assets by team nhl pick no demand
Gallant still on team nhl pick
Robertson still on team likely 1st or 2nd rnd nhl pick
2018 pick no show most picks ever received for a defected player..2 1sts coming
I will give you though, that some agents up until this year were hesitant in sending their top guns to Petes but from what I’ve heard this year with Wilson that’s all changed..no issues at all so let’s hope for next year!!! Lol

Section7fan

Feb 12, 2018

Someone correct me if I'm wrong, but the two trade requests that come to mind are Spooner and Puempel and both were Twhoey draft picks weren't they?

bear6

Feb 20, 2015
Merkley is a selfish player. Skilled offensive but its all about him or nothing

WillardJFredricks

May 7, 2004

Yeah, I wasn't meaning to take a dig at the franchise, I just got thinking about it. I was surprised that every other team has had a top 10 scorer (and most of them multiple). The last time the Petes had anyone close was when Cornel and Garlent were top-15 a couple years ago. Seems strange that in a 20 team league the Petes haven't had a big scorer in almost 20 years (and before Staal I believe it was Cameron Mann in 1996). That's 22 years with only one player finishing in the top 10 in league scoring. Seems impossible.

Petes

Jun 23, 2014
Merkley is a selfish player. Skilled offensive but its all about him or nothing

From what I’ve been told, he’s actually a great teammate. If you’ve got nothing to contribute other than bashing a 18 year old kids character... get lost.

Reactions: Petesfan8
Status
Not open for further replies.

Ad

Upcoming events

Ad

Ad