Peterborough Petes 2018-19 Season Thread (Part 2)

Status
Not open for further replies.

Bra Wavers

Feb 19, 2016
Sounds like what many teams including the Wolves could use. How old is Jones? Also are you guys returning most of the team next year?
Hunter Jones is a late 2000, so this is his draft year this year
We are returning most guys next year, including both goalies........we lose three OA's, but only have four 99's.

Reactions: Lycanthrope

Bra Wavers

Feb 19, 2016
Who is Peterborough's top line?
Top 3 lines are pretty balanced, but Paquette, Gogolev, Hinz OR SDA, Robertson, Timleck would probably be considered the "top line". The lines continue to be juggled a bit with injuries/sickness and a number of recent games they have gone with 11 forwards and 7 D.

NorthernVoice

Oct 5, 2017
Right well that could change things big time. That’s why a true picture often can’t be painted until after the deadline. I know you have some nice assets. What do you see the Petes targeting in terms of players and positions?
It should be a player who is here this year and next.

They aren't catching Ottawa this year - they can hope for or execute an upset in the playoffs though.

They may be ahead of Oshawa for next year, the gap isn't huge right now and Oshawa loses their best forward, defenceman and one of the league's best goalies next year.

Lycanthrope

Dec 3, 2011
It should be a player who is here this year and next.

They aren't catching Ottawa this year - they can hope for or execute an upset in the playoffs though.

They may be ahead of Oshawa for next year, the gap isn't huge right now and Oshawa loses their best forward, defenceman and one of the league's best goalies next year.
Right. Funny but talk on the Gens board is they would be in as good or better a position next year. Looks like Missy has no intention of selling after acquiring Ham for two seconds and a third.

Reactions: NorthernVoice

OHLEYE

Oct 17, 2006
Robertson and whoever his two wingers are at the time...

I agree.

The problem is that the Petes success this year and next year will depend on who the first line is, because it will be going up against Ottawa, Oshawa, Niagara, Missy etc. The Petes are in big trouble if SDA is part of that 1st line. It won't matter how good Robertson is. The Petes would be wise to switch out SDA, or come up with a new 1st line and have Robertson on the second line, which would be great for the team. Easier said than done, especially with Mike Oke in charge.

I concur it would be wise to trade for someone who can come back, but not a lesser talent: Paquette, Korostelev, Grondin. We won't achieve success until we add TOP talent; not players with flaws.

NorthernVoice

Oct 5, 2017
Right. Funny but talk on the Gens board is they would be in as good or better a position next year. Looks like Missy has no intention of selling after acquiring Ham for two seconds and a third.

I don't see how they're better next year, seems to me they're kind of caught in the middle. With Keyser/Studnicka/Brassard in their last year this should probably be the year they go for it. I also didn't realize Eggenberger was a 99 - with the preseason celebration by their fans of him vs. Kirk, I assumed he was an 00 like Kirk. With his size and performance to date, you would think he would get a pro offer as well.

The thing is Ottawa is so strong that going all-in might not be enough. They do have the picks to do it if they chose to. If they trade those guys and get even more picks and young players, they're likely better off looking beyond 19-20 vs. trying to pretend Noel/McShane/Vallati/Gross is anywhere near a good enough core to contend.

Petes

Jun 23, 2014
I agree.

The problem is that the Petes success this year and next year will depend on who the first line is, because it will be going up against Ottawa, Oshawa, Niagara, Missy etc. The Petes are in big trouble if SDA is part of that 1st line. It won't matter how good Robertson is. The Petes would be wise to switch out SDA, or come up with a new 1st line and have Robertson on the second line, which would be great for the team. Easier said than done, especially with Mike Oke in charge.

I concur it would be wise to trade for someone who can come back, but not a lesser talent: Paquette, Korostelev, Grondin. We won't achieve success until we add TOP talent; not players with flaws.

If they’re gunna go all in on a two year guy, it’s gotta be Ty Dellandrea. He fits our style of play and two year window to a T.

Bra Wavers

Feb 19, 2016
We can’t get him with picks so who agrees to go there? Beraldo? Supryka ? Partridge? Denault? Are any of those guys even enough to get Dellandrea?

Generalsupdates

@GeneralsUpdates on Twitter
Sep 4, 2017
I don't see how they're better next year, seems to me they're kind of caught in the middle. With Keyser/Studnicka/Brassard in their last year this should probably be the year they go for it. I also didn't realize Eggenberger was a 99 - with the preseason celebration by their fans of him vs. Kirk, I assumed he was an 00 like Kirk. With his size and performance to date, you would think he would get a pro offer as well.

The thing is Ottawa is so strong that going all-in might not be enough. They do have the picks to do it if they chose to. If they trade those guys and get even more picks and young players, they're likely better off looking beyond 19-20 vs. trying to pretend Noel/McShane/Vallati/Gross is anywhere near a good enough core to contend.

Oshawa may have different standards than other teams. Kingston last year went all in because they would've been happy with 2-3 good playoff rounds but Hunt/Tullio's motto is more you only go all-in if you think you can be the best (hence them selling Vande Sompel+Cirelli in 2016 despite being in 1st place at the time). And I don't think the Gens are all that close to being the best, with how good Ottawa can be if they even do a decent job of using their assets to get better at the deadline.

I look at what London did last year and think we could do almost the exact same thing. Move Studnicka for a future stud '01or'02+picks and/or Keyser for a good '01+picks. Brassard has been a disappointment for me thus far this season and every other D other than him is back next year. Add in the 2 high end forwards you get for Keyser+Studnicka to the core of Noel/McShane/MacLean/Antropov/Wong/Tullio/Robinson and suddenly you're in business. And the Gens also already have 10 2nd round picks in the 2020-2024 drafts, and that's even before they add picks in any Studnicka/Keyser deal. So they could add huge to that roster with the 13-15 2nd round picks they'd have, and the roster would already be pretty decent. Plus you can trade your rookie 1st rounder next year for a huge fish, which they couldn't do this season because it's Tullio. And you lose Keyser but the Gens have a pretty good name in the Euro draft and you just draft an NHL drafted goalie for 1 year.

That's my thought process

Last edited:

dirty12

Mar 6, 2015
Oshawa may have different standards than other teams. Kingston last year went all in because they would've been happy with 2-3 good playoff rounds but Hunt/Tullio's motto is more you only go all-in if you think you can be the best (hence them selling Vande Sompel+Cirelli in 2016 despite being in 1st place at the time). And I don't think the Gens are all that close to being the best, with how good Ottawa can be if they even do a decent job of using their assets to get better at the deadline.

I look at what London did last year and think we could do almost the exact same thing. Move Studnicka for a future stud '01or'02+picks and/or Keyser for a good '01+picks. Brassard has been a disappointment for me thus far this season and every other D other than him is back next year. Add in the 2 high end forwards you get for Keyser+Studnicka to the core of Noel/McShane/MacLean/Antropov/Wong/Tullio/Robinson and suddenly you're in business. And the Gens also already have 10 2nd round picks in the 2020-2024 drafts, and that's even before they add picks in any Studnicka/Keyser deal. So they could add huge to that roster with the 13-15 2nd round picks they'd had, and the roster would already be pretty decent. And you lose Keyser but the Gens have a pretty good name in the Euro draft and you just draft an NHL drafted goalie for 1 year.

It’s reasonable; but guessing that the Petes, Colts, Batallion, Wolves all feel the same ...
and the 67s are possibly contenders again next season

Generalsupdates

Sep 4, 2017
It’s reasonable; but guessing that the Petes, Colts, Batallion, Wolves all feel the same ...
and the 67s are possibly contenders again next season

For sure, I'm not saying the Gens would run away with the OHL next year by any means. I just think it'd be more likely that they could use assets and become the best team next year because I don't think it's possible this season

dirty12

Mar 6, 2015
For sure, I'm not saying the Gens would run away with the OHL next year by any means. I just think it'd be more likely that they could use assets and become the best team next year because I don't think it's possible this season

Gens are in a good place either way. There might not be enough buyers for the Gens to pull off what Windsor & London did last year; though, they could certainly put a real crimp in the plans of Hamilton & Kingston.
How close would they be if Vilaardi became available?

Generalsupdates

Sep 4, 2017
Gens are in a good place either way. There might not be enough buyers for the Gens to pull off what Windsor & London did last year; though, they could certainly put a real crimp in the plans of Hamilton & Kingston.
How close would they be if Vilaardi became available?

Yeah who knows what the market would be. But if Windsor holds the "we're not trading DiPietro for less than 6-8 2nd round picks" then suddenly Keyser (who has a better save % than DiPietro this year) would look super inviting to teams who are looking to upgrade in net (Ottawa, Guelph?, Saginaw?)

But yeah if Vilardi comes back he'd be a very sought after commodity, but that's another back surgery so is he going to be healthy? Would be super risky to put a bunch of picks into him knowing how awful his injury history is

NorthernVoice

Oct 5, 2017

I look at what London did last year and think we could do almost the exact same thing. Move Studnicka for a future stud '01or'02+picks and/or Keyser for a good '01+picks. Brassard has been a disappointment for me thus far this season and every other D other than him is back next year. Add in the 2 high end forwards you get for Keyser+Studnicka to the core of Noel/McShane/MacLean/Antropov/Wong/Tullio/Robinson and suddenly you're in business. And the Gens also already have 10 2nd round picks in the 2020-2024 drafts, and that's even before they add picks in any Studnicka/Keyser deal. So they could add huge to that roster with the 13-15 2nd round picks they'd have, and the roster would already be pretty decent. Plus you can trade your rookie 1st rounder next year for a huge fish, which they couldn't do this season because it's Tullio. And you lose Keyser but the Gens have a pretty good name in the Euro draft and you just draft an NHL drafted goalie for 1 year.

Yeah, I agree, I guess my point is if you're not going all in unless you're the best, probably 2020-21 is the next most likely target vs. next year.

If this year's team with Studnicka/Keyser/Brassard/Eggenberger (in addition to Noel/McShane etc...) isn't close, as you say, IMO next year's isn't either - you're not adding enough to replace all those guys and then add the number of guys you need to be significantly better, and given that they already have the picks for down the road, if they do as you say and add picks, highly drafted players etc... you're likely pushing it one more year down the road.

They are in good shape either way, I just think if it's championship or bust, next year doesn't make a ton of sense from where I sit.

Generalsupdates

Sep 4, 2017
Yeah, I agree, I guess my point is if you're not going all in unless you're the best, probably 2020-21 is the next most likely target vs. next year.

If this year's team with Studnicka/Keyser/Brassard/Eggenberger (in addition to Noel/McShane etc...) isn't close, as you say, IMO next year's isn't either - you're not adding enough to replace all those guys and then add the number of guys you need to be significantly better, and given that they already have the picks for down the road, if they do as you say and add picks, highly drafted players etc... you're likely pushing it one more year down the road.

They are in good shape either way, I just think if it's championship or bust, next year doesn't make a ton of sense from where I sit.

The next year McShane and Noel are both gone, so that window is closed. Next year I fully expect Noel to be a top 10 player in the league and McShane has all the potential to be in there too. But when I look back to the 2015 team who won it all, the final team who won it was nowhere near the team who started the year. And what the Gens have now (if they get 1/2 more good young players for Studnicka/Keyser) would have them ahead of where they were to start 2015 IMO. And with all the picks the Gens have, they could be adding basically 3-4 more F and a D if they needed it. That's enough to make any team a lot better

NorthernVoice

Oct 5, 2017
Nice to see the Gens (who we all agreed in here aren't good enough this year) burn up some of their draft pick capital on an OA upgrade :sarcasm:

Generalsupdates

Sep 4, 2017
Nice to see the Gens (who we all agreed in here aren't good enough this year) burn up some of their draft pick capital on an OA upgrade :sarcasm:

They basically traded Commisso (2nd+2nd+5th) for Salinitri (2nd+2nd+4th) straight up. Commisso has 1 goal in over 20 games for Guelph. But hey, celebrate the small victories ;)

Diaero

Nov 29, 2016
North Bay has the best PP in the league somehow, so we gotta watch out for that.

HashingMARK

Nov 25, 2018
North Bay has the best PP in the league somehow, so we gotta watch out for that.
Solid PP because once they get in your zone you can't get them out. Size does matter. NB doesn't get the credit they deserve for special teams. Their PK is
equally good. 17 factors large in everything said here. But I don't want to slight Chenier who has been on fire and Struthers, a guy that OS should have never traded.
What were they thinking? He is still the best NHL prospect in NB.

Status
Not open for further replies.

Ad

Upcoming events

Ad

Ad