Peterborough Petes 2018-19 Season Thread (Part 2)

Status
Not open for further replies.

WillardJFredricks

May 7, 2004
Entertaining game tonight. From the naked eye it looked like Austin needed to hug the post a bit tighter on 2 goals. Merkley seemed to have a bit of fire after his penalty and temper tantrum and scored a nice goal. Another good game from Grondin, too.

NorthernVoice

Oct 5, 2017
No worse than having SDA out there. He just kills any momentum they have. He slows it all down to show off a move and lets the D get set up. The PP is a disaster no matter who is out there. They should just decline all PP chances. They can't defend. Having only one d-man out there doesn't help. The one shorthanded chance let a breakaway plus a rebound (to another player) before they scored shorthanded. The PP is a complete mess. But I'd take that line out there over SDA any day.
You know literally every NHL team has gone to 4 forwards, 1 defenceman on the power play, right?

This isn't an exaggeration. 31 of 31 NHL teams go 4+1 now.

Ptbomillsy619

Dec 17, 2017
NHL all star break Is great get to see all the ohl highlights on sports net aswell as watch junior hockey games winning

Petes1987

Oct 13, 2013
I love the maroon and white!
I can’t wait to go back .

Personally I like the jerseys cira 1983.

The pictures of the jersey Steve Yzerman wore when he was here -that’s my absolute favourite-but maybe that is too retro-

Actually I think the new ones are the same as the 1983 era jerseys. I looked at a book with team photos and the jerseys were the same from 1975-1976 until the change to the current ones in 2014-2015.

Zebra

Feb 12, 2017
Actually I think the new ones are the same as the 1983 era jerseys. I looked at a book with team photos and the jerseys were the same from 1975-1976 until the change to the current ones in 2014-2015.

Sign me up!
If it is the retro jersey I am going to need atleast 4 home and 4 away

WillardJFredricks

May 7, 2004
You know literally every NHL team has gone to 4 forwards, 1 defenceman on the power play, right?

This isn't an exaggeration. 31 of 31 NHL teams go 4+1 now.

Fair enough, but you need players who can handle things defensively out there. Because if you have SDA and Merkley, neither can play defence and it causes problems. If the PP could produce some goals and not just turn the puck over it wouldn't be such an issue.

Diaero

Nov 29, 2016
Hope the advocates of the bench SDA squad enjoyed the Little-Denault-Grondin-Fraser-Chisholm power play .

Pretty sure that's not the answer.

Wilson sent the same message that we've been saying on here, even if it was a little blunt. Grondin/Denault/Little aren't going to dangle and stickhandle at the line waiting for some highlight reel back pass to develop. They're going to fire the puck on net with a screen and hack and wack at rebounds. That's a message to our overly fancy powerplay regulars that don't produce.

In the last three home games we've had two 5 minute powerplays and a two 4 minute powerplays without producing a goal to my memory. I get what you're saying but Wilson sent the message that I think needed to be sent.

viewfromabove

Nov 29, 2017
Wilson sent the same message that we've been saying on here, even if it was a little blunt. Grondin/Denault/Little aren't going to dangle and stickhandle at the line waiting for some highlight reel back pass to develop. They're going to fire the puck on net with a screen and hack and wack at rebounds. That's a message to our overly fancy powerplay regulars that don't produce.

In the last three home games we've had two 5 minute powerplays and a two 4 minute powerplays without producing a goal to my memory. I get what you're saying but Wilson sent the message that I think needed to be sent.
Yes. And I’m sure he will send a message to Merkley tonight by scratching him Oh I forgot. Different rules for different players. Throwing your glove at a referee is abuse of an official. He’s lucky he didn’t get a multi game suspension. I’m sure the likes of Bob Gainey and Dave Pogue must be disgusted by that performance last night. Cole Fraser has done some crazy s*** but nothing to that extent and was disciplined. Let’s see wht happens tonight. Go Petes go!

Diaero

Nov 29, 2016
Kirk - Cermak - Butler - Robertson - Merkley
Hinz - Paquette - Timlick - SDA - Chisholm

or swap Hinz for Grondin and let Grondin take the draws, he's probably our best faceoff guy with the eye test. I don't have stats to back that up, just my guess. Win the draw and then just get in front of the net waiting for rebounds and provide the screen.

Top line has some finesse and shooters, a net front presence, and Merkley's supreme ability to get dangerous pucks on net from anywhere. Line two would be more crash and bang style, with SDA and Chisholm still able to make plays at the line.

Reactions: Bra Wavers

viewfromabove

Nov 29, 2017
Yes. And I’m sure he will send a message to Merkley tonight by scratching him Oh I forgot. Different rules for different players. Throwing your glove at a referee is abuse of an official. He’s lucky he didn’t get a multi game suspension. I’m sure the likes of Bob Gainey and Dave Pogue must be disgusted by that performance last night. Cole Fraser has done some crazy s*** but nothing to that extent and was disciplined. Let’s see wht happens tonight. Go Petes go!
And as for the power play. Until we start using our points like every other team be it a forward or defenseman we will have no success. We aren’t even close to other teams when it comes to moving the puck. We have forwards that just won’t pass to certain players. Until the me first attitude goes away we will be a middle of the road team with a crap power play.

Zebra

Feb 12, 2017
I was not at the game and was unable to listen to it -but am I reading this correctly-

Merkley THEEW A GLOVE AT THE REFEREE?!?

Reactions: Ptbomillsy619

WillardJFredricks

May 7, 2004
I was not at the game and was unable to listen to it -but am I reading this correctly-

Merkley THEEW A GLOVE AT THE REFEREE?!?

Yes. Merkley was high sticked but there was no call so he tossed his glove at/toward a ref and got an unsportsmanlike conduct penalty for it. I was surprised there was no 10.

Reactions: Zebra

WillardJFredricks

May 7, 2004

Exactly. If Fraser did that he'd be sat for a weekend. But because Merkley is more skilled, he gets no discipline.

Petesfan8

Dec 18, 2017
Team chemistry We had it. Now we don’t. The great divide between the who’s and who’s not.

Are you sure that at one time we had team chemistry and now with Merkley here we don't and if so who is your source? On the positive side when Austin let in a questionable goal last night Merkley was the first player to offer encouragement. I don't pretend to know who likes and dislikes who on this team.

viewfromabove

Nov 29, 2017
Are you sure that at one time we had team chemistry and now with Merkley here we don't and if so who is your source? On the positive side when Austin let in a questionable goal last night Merkley was the first player to offer encouragement. I don't pretend to know who likes and dislikes who on this team.
Source? No source. I watch the game and sit near the bench. Tough no to see and hear what is happening. Just my opinion.

Zebra

Feb 12, 2017
I sit near the bench too and I can see the divisions and splits. It is sad .

I am not blaming Merkley or any other addition/subtraction made to our team. These guys are kids at an emotional time in their lives playing at an intense level of competition. However , I will blame the "adults" like the our coaching staff.

There has always been the displays of frustration, slamming doors , slamming water bottles, swearing etc. However it seems that the acts of frustration have increased in severity. The coaches tolerate the unsportsmanlike behaviour of players on the bench and the players keep raising the bar of poor behaviour because they can get away with it.

Our guys see the poor sportsmanship going unchecked by the coaches and feel like it is okay for that standard of behaviour. They accept the tantrums and stick smashing and now the poor sportsmanship is escalating completely unchecked.

The rot is setting into our team.

The Peterborough Petes used to be role models for younger generations of players. The in- schools outreach programs and community interactions with our youth used to be good thing because the "big Petes" ( my nephews in Petes AAA call them the 'big Petes') lead by example. Good sportsmanship and classy behaviour on and off the ice was the Peterborough Petes standard an it still is standard in the Petes AAA system.

This is no longer the case with the “Big Petes” nd it breaks my maroon and white heart!

I am horrified that Merkley may have deliberately flung an object at an official-and even more horrified that this abhorrent action is seemingly acceptable to our coaches.

Last edited:

viewfromabove

Nov 29, 2017
I sit near the bench too and I can see the divisions and splits. It is sad .

I am not blaming Merkley or any other addition/subtraction made to our team. These guys are kids at an emotional time in their lives playing at an intense level of competition. Howeever , I will blame the "adults" like the our coaching staff.

There has always been the displays of frustration, slamming doors , slamming water bottles, swearing etc. However it seems that the acts of frustration have increased in severity. The coaches tolerate the unsportsmanlike behaviour of players on the bench and the players keep raising the bar of poor behaviour because they can get away with it.

Our guys see the poor sportsmanship going unchecked by the coaches and feel like it is okay for that standard of behaviour. They accept the tantrums and stick smashing and now the poor sportsmanship is escalating completely unchecked.

The rot is setting into our team.

The Peterborough Petes used to be role models for younger generations of players. The in- schools outreach programs and community interactions with our youth used to be good thing because the "big Petes" ( my nephews in Petes AAA call them the 'big Petes') lead by example. Good sportsmanship and classy behaviour on and off the ice was the Peterborough Petes standard an it still is standard in the Petes AAA system.

This is no longer the case and it breaks my maroon and white heart!

I am horrified that Merkley may have deliberately flung an object at an official-and even more horrified that this abhorrent action is seemingly acceptable to our coaches.
Thank you Well said and very true. I feel sorry for some of the players who are true class acts being dragged through the mud. I don’t think I will be renewing my tickets and certainly not for 3 years at the whopping g savings of 60 dollars. But hey, I get a New Jersey at a discount. Give me a break.

Bra Wavers

Feb 19, 2016
Petes PP#1......Paquette takes FOs
upload_2019-1-25_11-51-54.png

Petes PP#2......Grondin takes FOs
upload_2019-1-25_11-53-50.png

IMO, the PP needs
  • a QB at the top who is creative and has good vision. Both Merkley and Chisholm can be effective here but need to move the puck sooner when the pressure comes.
  • a right-shot on the left half-board.....Paquette and Timleck fit well there...both are good shooters and can find the open guy with a pass......but need to do this more consistently on the PP.
  • a left-shot on the right half-board.....SDA and Robertson are fine here...on one condition: they don't over-handle the puck - if there isn't a play right after you get the puck, MOVE IT ........keep the PKers moving to follow the puck until you create an opening.
  • a big-body net presence who is tough to move from in front of the net and can help to win battles for loose pucks down low to retain possession....Butler and Grondin are these guys to a T
  • In the slot we need a player who has a good shot (quick release) and can find the soft spot in the zone D. Good hand-eye coordination is important for the re-direct play in front. Most importantly, this player has to anticipate the play well (especially if a teammate with the puck is under pressure or is going to turn the puck over) and be quick to support his teammate to help the Petes maintain possession......for me Cermak and Kirk fit well here.
I think these two units could develop some chemistry on the PP. Puck possession is the biggest factor for me.

Reactions: Diaero and Petes

Diaero

Nov 29, 2016
It's a result of being frustrated. The players are as frustrated as the fans. A team that has among the most NHL drafted talent in the league is in a dog-fight for a low seed in a pretty weak division. No matter how much talent we assemble we can't compete with other teams, Oshawa can both rebuild and get completely better than us in one trade deadline while we fish for scraps. It's an organizational rot, and it's been rotting for decades. Yeah we're no longer "The Big Petes" because we're barely even the Petes. We're a shoestring organization that is so barely getting by that this desperate front office is asking fans to pay for their season tickets 3 seasons in advance so they can pocket enough cash to pay the bills today. We're literally mortgaging our future to get by today. That kind of dysfunction doesn't just limit itself to a board of geezers with important titles and parking spots, that ineptitude runs through the veins of the entire organization.

Is Merkley throwing a glove a disgrace? Absolutely. Does Merkley make our team better when he's on the ice? Absolutely. Do wins generate more money? Absolutely. We don't have the luxury to be the classy role models. We'd put any punk on skates right now if it got us a few wins to get more fans in the door. We knew what Merkley was when we got him. We had to put a childhood friend on his defense pairing to help him care about his own defensive play. Kind of says it all. But we knew that, and we needed his skill. We made a deal with the devil.

It's not shocking that skilled players have a longer leash than guys like Fraser. SDA floated around for a couple months before they called him in out in the Examiner. That's the nature of a results oriented business, wins matter more than character.

Here's the plain truth. If we're in 2nd place in the East where we belong with this much talent, than none of these things are an issue. We're not talking about Fraser getting unfair treatment, Merkley isn't frustrated to the point he's diving around trying to draw calls and throwing gloves at refs. The fans aren't frustrated and booing our own powerplay. We're not posting on here about moral character and how we used to be great and giving up our season tickets. This rot is a result of poor results, not just this season but almost every season for a decade plus.

Reactions: WillardJFredricks

HockeyPops

Aug 20, 2018
Here is a link to your current season stats sorted by FO won % (scroll to the right).
Ignoring those who haven't had many faceoffs, your best faceoff men are:
Gallant, Zach - 62.9%
Paquette, Christopher - 56.4%
Grondin, Max - 54.7%
Little, Michael - 51.6%
SDA - 51.3%
Hinz, Brady - 50.6%
Cermak, Erik - 50.5%

Wow, all your centers are above 50%. Nice.

Lycanthrope

Dec 3, 2011
Thank you Well said and very true. I feel sorry for some of the players who are true class acts being dragged through the mud. I don’t think I will be renewing my tickets and certainly not for 3 years at the whopping g savings of 60 dollars. But hey, I get a New Jersey at a discount. Give me a break.
Honest question. The front office is asking for a three year commitment? I suppose you can opt for just one year at a time? Also is the sixty dollar savings your’e talking about related to the three year deal? Surely you get better savings than that year to year when being a season ticket holder. How much do they generally go for? Trying to get a feel for how other organizations go about this. Thanks.

WillardJFredricks

May 7, 2004
Honest question. The front office is asking for a three year commitment? I suppose you can opt for just one year at a time? Also is the sixty dollar savings your’e talking about related to the three year deal? Surely you get better savings than that year to year when being a season ticket holder. How much do they generally go for? Trying to get a feel for how other organizations go about this. Thanks.

The 3 year thing is an option. The draw being if prices go up in the next 3 years (which they will) you don't pay more. A benefit for locking up early. At least that's how I understand it.

There are significant savings for seasons tickets holders. I'd have to double check the renewal form I just got, but usually (especially for early bird renewals) you save around $200 compared to buying a seat individually for each game at the box office. Plus they throw in the first 2 playoff games free (sadly this often doesn't apply for the Petes recently, but it will this year!).

Status
Not open for further replies.

Ad

Upcoming events

Ad

Ad