Peterborough Petes 2018-19 Season Thread (Part 2)

Status
Not open for further replies.

NorthernVoice

Oct 5, 2017
Against 3/4 teams who arent in the playoffs (Erie, Kingston and Hamilton). Based on the EPIHL, we already knew Kirk could get points against brutal defensive teams! Haha need to see him do it against some real opponents now!

Side note: your whole point in that exchange was "no we didn't think he was going to be great, we didn't overhype him", but yeahhhh, we'll disregard that part and let you pretend like you know all along :D
My point was that he was a good player and the hype came from his being NHL drafted and his talent respected by NHL scouts and GMs not from being hyped up by local writers. I typed those exact words.

My last article was literally about the fact that he, Robertson, Gogolev, Timleck, etc.. were good players and the goals would come.

Keep on believing what you want though, what I said is right there in print.

Reactions: Section7fan

ptbopete

Oct 4, 2009
Peterborough, ON
Both Cermak and Kirk are playing with more confidence and seem to have adjusted to the league at this point. Congrats to Austin on picking up his first win........Hamilton have some real snipers, but he was sharp and really couldn't be faulted on any of the goals.......I believe he was screened on the first goal and never really saw it coming.

Fraser's play continues to impress........as long as he can avoid "dumb" penalties while playing his hard-nosed play, he forces the opposition to keep their head up and get rid of the puck sooner than normal

Huge game for Grondin.......I had been disappointed with his play so far, but he seemed more physical, hungry for the puck and won many puck battles along the wall.

Nice to see the Petes come up with this goal output without Paquette, Robertson, Timleck or Gogolev scoring.

Any idea where JPJ was? He must be dealing with an injury. Still concerned about our 5/6 on the back end....Supryka still needs time to develop and adjust to the speed and size and Beraldo seems to struggle with decisions when he has the puck and with turnovers. This puts too much pressure on Chisholm/Fraser and Osmanski/McNamara.....I'm concerned that they will get burned out or injured.
This was a real character win for the Petes. When we were behind our forecheck was relentless and caused turnovers. Once we got possession the guys were making quick passes which resulted in two nice goal by Kirk and Grondin.

This win made me very happy as Hamilton just keeps finding ways to beat us. Yes Austin getting the win was huge - to have him get some icetime and a win is big down the road. Great weekend by the boys. When we get Gallant back we can hope to be back on track to chase down Ottawa and of course our ultimate nemesis Oshawa. As others have said we seem to be missing something back on defense. Our #5 and 6 defensemen are okay but we need a bit more. Loving Fraser and of course Chisolm this year.

WillardJFredricks

May 7, 2004
Who were those two guys last week saying Kirk was just overhyped by Examiner writers?

5 goal weekend. 10 points in past 10 games...

Fair enough. But he also went 20 games without a goal. And his two against Kingston were nothing special (tap in to a wide open net on a set up from Gogolev and a deflection in off a Kingston player). Does one weekend make up for nearly two months of nothing? That's up to each individual to decide.

I hope he can keep going like this, as it will help the team. I have nothing against him as a player, I just pointed out that he had really struggled (until this past 3 game stretch) and maybe the hype was a bit much and a bit unfair.

Reactions: Name Nameless

NorthernVoice

Oct 5, 2017
Fair enough. But he also went 20 games without a goal. And his two against Kingston were nothing special (tap in to a wide open net on a set up from Gogolev and a deflection in off a Kingston player). Does one weekend make up for nearly two months of nothing? That's up to each individual to decide.

I hope he can keep going like this, as it will help the team. I have nothing against him as a player, I just pointed out that he had really struggled (until this past 3 game stretch) and maybe the hype was a bit much and a bit unfair.
I guess I tend to give more time to a player like Kirk - new league, new country, etc... Than I do to say SDA who should have been a top performer from day one.

Diaero

Nov 29, 2016
With SDA, in my opinion, it looked like he got a taste of the NHL and thought he could just come back down to the OHL and it would come easy. He could dip and doodle around any player and rack up assists at will. Obviously that wasn't the case, and it got so bad he was called out in the Examiner.

I expect in the coming months he's going to get back to his dominant level, and it will take our offense to another level when he plays like a top liner.

NorthernVoice

Oct 5, 2017
On the topic of who the competition was this weekend, the Petes right now are a middle of the pack team - beat up on the teams below them and struggle against the ones ahead of them. The hope is the continued progression of Robertson, Kirk, SDA, Jones, Chisholm, etc, etc.. means that they can move beyond that as the season goes on and into next year.

Maybe we are seeing the start of that, or maybe they're beating teams they should beat.

Reactions: WillardJFredricks

NorthernVoice

Oct 5, 2017
I wanted to come post here after the first period about how I thought McNamara was having an abysmal game but I think the ice surface played a part in that, plus the team rebounded as a whole. I still think a game-changer on defense would be big for this team.
His first period Thursday was really really bad, I had the same post ready, wondering when it was his turn to be a healthy scratch. Then he was excellent in the second and third.

Reactions: Diaero

WillardJFredricks

May 7, 2004
I guess I tend to give more time to a player like Kirk - new league, new country, etc... Than I do to say SDA who should have been a top performer from day one.

Yes, I can see that. Perhaps we should have taken into account the adjustment. It might have been our (fans) expectations being a bit too high for him. I like his game, for the most part. And I really hope this weekend gets him going.

WillardJFredricks

May 7, 2004
On the topic of who the competition was this weekend, the Petes right now are a middle of the pack team - beat up on the teams below them and struggle against the ones ahead of them. The hope is the continued progression of Robertson, Kirk, SDA, Jones, Chisholm, etc, etc.. means that they can move beyond that as the season goes on and into next year.

Maybe we are seeing the start of that, or maybe they're beating teams they should beat.

I'm curious about both Mississauga and Sudbury. It looks like Ottawa, Oshawa and Niagara will likely end up 1,2,3 and be the top contenders in the East, but I wonder if Sudbury and Mississauga are as good as their records. Sudbury didn't look great when they were in here, and I guess we'll see lots of the Steelheads around New Year's.

Petesfan8

Dec 18, 2017
Strong 3/3 weekend to get right back into the mix, although anything short of a perfect weekend would have been troublesome with the combined records of our opponents.

Nice to see an unlikely hero in Grondin step up and snag a victory for us. 18 goal weekend for the team. Kirk looked good with 5 himself over the three game stretch.

Austin settled in, should get some more confidence from Wilson now after keeping the Petes in this Hamilton game. I think the Petes were being outshot at a 3-1 rate at one point in the second.

I was happy to see Grondin getting the hat trick. He is never going to be a huge point producer but the team needs guys like this. The Petes have a lot of small players and guys like Grondin are a huge asset to have in the second half of the season and the playoffs when the going gets a lot tougher.

Hockeyguy7457

Nov 26, 2018
Fraser 2 fights in 2 games. Maybe sparked the team a little against Erie? Pete’s score on the 2 minute instigator. Him and chsholm seem to be playing really well together, Fraser stays at home while Chisholm creates the offence he does. Any thoughts on those two?

Petes

Jun 23, 2014
Fraser 2 fights in 2 games. Maybe sparked the team a little against Erie? Pete’s score on the 2 minute instigator. Him and chsholm seem to be playing really well together, Fraser stays at home while Chisholm creates the offence he does. Any thoughts on those two?

Fraser is fine when he plays a safe and simple game. It’s when he tries stepping up at the blue trying to make those 50/50 plays... that’s when he gets in trouble.

Reactions: Bra Wavers

Lycanthrope

Dec 3, 2011
I'm curious about both Mississauga and Sudbury. It looks like Ottawa, Oshawa and Niagara will likely end up 1,2,3 and be the top contenders in the East, but I wonder if Sudbury and Mississauga are as good as their records. Sudbury didn't look great when they were in here, and I guess we'll see lots of the Steelheads around New Year's.
Funny I feel the same about the Petes. Friday might tell us something.

NA Hockey

Nov 16, 2015
Both Sudbury and Peterborough are good up and coming clubs. I don't think either challenge Ottawa or Niagara in the east. Realistic goal for both, after last year, is making the playoffs and being competitive enough to win a round.

Lycanthrope

Dec 3, 2011
Both Sudbury and Peterborough are good up and coming clubs. I don't think either challenge Ottawa or Niagara in the east. Realistic goal for both, after last year, is making the playoffs and being competitive enough to win a round.
I’d be happy with that.

Diaero

Nov 29, 2016
You guys see the Petes tinkering or is it as hard to say as it is with us?

We have so much draft capital we almost have to make a move this year cause all our first and second round picks can't make the lineup next season.

Lycanthrope

Dec 3, 2011
We have so much draft capital we almost have to make a move this year cause all our first and second round picks can't make the lineup next season.
Right well that could change things big time. That’s why a true picture often can’t be painted until after the deadline. I know you have some nice assets. What do you see the Petes targeting in terms of players and positions?

Petes

Jun 23, 2014
Right well that could change things big time. That’s why a true picture often can’t be painted until after the deadline. I know you have some nice assets. What do you see the Petes targeting in terms of players and positions?

The blue line needs an upgrade or two, for sure.

MoWanchuk1

Feb 18, 2017
Yes I see a dman and a fwd at some point..bodies going out as well as picks lots to play with..guys that can also play next year with 2 1st round picks at 5 and maybe 10ish they should get 2 good ones

Lycanthrope

Dec 3, 2011
Yes I see a dman and a fwd at some point..bodies going out as well as picks lots to play with..guys that can also play next year with 2 1st round picks at 5 and maybe 10ish they should get 2 good ones
Sounds like what many teams including the Wolves could use. How old is Jones? Also are you guys returning most of the team next year?

dirty12

Mar 6, 2015
Sounds like what many teams including the Wolves could use. How old is Jones? Also are you guys returning most of the team next year?

‘00 born & yeah, pretty much all including imports outside of the OA. The Petes might have a hard time squeezing the first pick of the 2nd round into the line up if they don’t add this season.

You should check out the roster, along with ‘67s, Gens, Colts, Battalion; and compare it with the Wolves. The eastern conference will be good and tight again next season.

Status
Not open for further replies.

Ad

Upcoming events

Ad

Ad