Peter Popovic

Eye of Ra

Grandmaster General of the International boards
Nov 15, 2008
Malmö, Sweden
Do any of you guys remember him? He played 5 seasons for this team in the 90s.

His been assistent coach for team sweden for 10 years now.

What type of impact did he have on the ice? Was he any good? Was he physical?

Just asking out of curiosity.

latest

EXPOS123

Jun 29, 2010
I was a teen but I remember him very well. He was big but super soft. Habs had these kind of players in spades in the 90s and exactly the reason they sucked hard. The fact that they kept him for 5 seasons is mind-blowing.

Couldn't have said it better. And to think we had a d-core at one point of Brisebois, Popovic, J.J Daigneault and Yves Racine. :baghead:

Em Ancien

Sexy 2nd Rounder
Mar 12, 2008
Mount Real Life
I was a teen but I remember him very well. He was big but super soft. Habs had these kind of players in spades in the 90s and exactly the reason they sucked hard. The fact that they kept him for 5 seasons is mind-blowing.

Pretty much. Him, Malakhov and Brisebois.

Laurentide

Mar 24, 2018
Edmonton, Alberta
When he played for the Habs, Popovic at 6'5", 231 lbs was the biggest physical specimen in the NHL not named Chara but he may as well have been 5'6" because he was, to quote Michel Therrien, "soff". Pillowy soft, in fact. Despite his gargantuan physique, not a single opponent was afraid of him. The only worry you would ever have going into the corners with Popovic was that he might slip, fall on top of you and accidentally crush you. But there was no malice aforethought with his game. He was your garden variety "chicken Swede", a complete and utter waste of size and skill. The old saying that "you can't teach size" is true enough but you do need to teach players who have size how to use it effectively. Popovic didn't have a clue. He was never out of work because guys that big always get another chance with another team. But his NHL career was a forgettable waste of time.

Of course, Popovic was far from the only waste of space wearing a Habs jersey in those days. He just happened to be the tallest.

Sterling Archer

Sep 26, 2006
I will always remember him as the friendly giant. Huge with ZERO physical intimidation or imposisition what so ever.

LaP

Jun 27, 2012
Quebec City, Canada
He was a sort of okay 3rd pairing dman. Certainly not any worse than Jordie Benn. There was better options than him out there though so ideally he was a 7th dman on a winning team. Jordie Benn is a good comparable. Big soft player without any offensive and whose defensive is questionable at best.

badi

Jan 21, 2008
Big and soft defenseman
A 5th or 6th defensemen in a good team
On Habs current line up he would be on first pair ,,,,,

Tyson

Mar 1, 2007
Texas

latest
A monster sized man who played a sound defensive game. Not physical. A good bottom pairing Dman.

Stoneburg

Mar 21, 2004
Fishing
I remember him saying in an interview he had never been in a fight in his life. That sums it up, giant man, no toughness at all.

Grate n Colorful Oz

Hutson Hawk
Jun 12, 2007
Hockey Mecca
I remember one game where Bure went up to the front of the Flyers bench to shout at Lindros's belly button. Popo came behind Valeri, put a hand on his shoulder and kindly removed him from in front of Eric's stomach.

It was epic and funny.

Reactions: groovejuice

Laurentide

Mar 24, 2018
Edmonton, Alberta
His greatest trick was being able to disappear completely from view despite being the largest player on the ice for either team. His nickname should have been "David Blaine" or "Chris Angel Hockeyfreak".

Habs

We should have drafted Michkov
Feb 28, 2002

latest

I suffered through his tenure, he was god f***ing awful. Be glad you never had to watch him, or Patrick Traverse, play.

Habs

We should have drafted Michkov
Feb 28, 2002
Well you got to watch Jordie Benn and Brian Schlemko now ... not really any better imo.

But Chris Nilan and Bergy both said our D would be better last year, than the previous, so it must be true.

Ad

Upcoming events

Ad

Ad