Peter Holland

Status
Not open for further replies.

ChrisCall

Jun 25, 2012
I see his future being easily as good as Bozak or Bolland.

Much like Cody Franson, Holland was buried in depth and so allowed the leafs to pick him up for less than he'll be worth later.

Yes, Anaheim was willing to let him go, but they also let Lupul and Gardiner go. Boston also let Joe Colborne go (who i still believe can be pretty darn good if he'll ever stop being so apathetic on the ice). These sorts of deals go both ways, but i see Holland being a win.

mikebel111*

Really excited for this kid. Played well in first game i thought.
Watching his interview, seems like a well brought up kid and doesnt look short on confidence which is always a plus.

K19*

He was great on face offs but other than that he looked invisible IMO. What exactly did he do well?

Igy

Mar 3, 2011
He was great on face offs but other than that he looked invisible IMO. What exactly did he do well?

Considering it was his first game as a Leaf, after a long day, without any practice or understanding of the Leafs system, being somewhat invisible is not a bad thing. He didn't make any mistakes, he was good at faceoffs and had a couple quality scoring chances. You really can not ask for more at this point.

TmlHockeyFan

Jul 19, 2012
Toronto
Considering it was his first game as a Leaf, after a long day, without any practice or understanding of the Leafs system, being somewhat invisible is not a bad thing. He didn't make any mistakes, he was good at faceoffs and had a couple quality scoring chances. You really can not ask for more at this point.

Pretty much this. I would love it if he can live up to potential and our future top six centres being Kadri-Holland as a 1-2 punch. I hope I'm not being too optimistic about those two though.

Mapleleafs Fan*

Also a 2 on 1 pass but Kessel failed to score on that. A bit unlucky.

Clark4Ever

What we do in hockey echoes in eternity...
Oct 10, 2010
T.O.

This. I expect him to be more noticeable (in a positive sense) as he gets acclimated with his new environment.

The Podium

Feb 19, 2010
Toronto

Crystal ball post of the thread, the three names mentioned all end up on the Leafs:laugh:

I know he scored 35 goals, but for a 19-year-old in his fourth OHL season who gets the kind of ice time he gets, 35 goals for the 7th overall pick in the draft is not very good.

Dave Bolland, by comparison, scored 57 goals in 59 games as a 19-year-old in 2005-06. He was a second-round pick, was a better finisher at 19 and will be a better finisher in the NHL than Kadri -- if his back holds up.

You're watching Kadri at the junior level and you don't see deficiencies. Others are watching Kadri at the junior level and imagining his game at the NHL level and they're not predicting the same level of success -- certainly not one commensurate with his draft position.

He'll be given many chances to succeed and I certainly hope he does well. This is not personal or spiteful.

I'm just presenting an opinion, one that I knew would be unpopular, and hoping to get people to think and maybe challenge the conventional wisdom.

Holland is big, skilled, and has excellent hockey sense. He tends to coast -- something I pointed out -- but so did Jeff Carter.

I, and others, have said this many times. You can't compare two teenage players in junior and say the better junior will be the better pro. That's not what scouting is about.

Some scouts (and observers) happen to think Kadri will be a better pro, and they have reasons for that opinion. This is reflected in their draft position, but a year later, other scouts (and observers) are beginning to think that Holland will be the better pro.

For some reason, people think the old opinion is right and aren't willing to entertain new information or new opinions. It amazes me. How anyone can possibly hope to learn anything by being so blinkered?

aside from how they turned out

Joey Hoser

Jan 8, 2008
Guelph
His development path and production pretty well mirror Kadri's, save Nazem's breakout last year. Am I missing something about this guy? This deal looks amazing to me right now.

Clark4Ever

What we do in hockey echoes in eternity...
Oct 10, 2010
T.O.
Based on his overall skillset, strengths, and deficiencies, I think his career trajectory could be very similar to that of Brad Boyes.

Ari91

Nov 24, 2010
Toronto
Was it not JVR that passed it? Cant remember, wasn't paying much attention to the game at that time.

Holland picked the puck up in the neutral zone and passed it up to JVR who was rushing into the offensive zone with Kessel with Holland not too far behind (it was a 3 on 1). Kessel fanned on the tap in but had he scored, Holland would have gotten a secondary assist on the play.

Drugstorecowboi

May 5, 2009
Loved this 22 year local kid! I'm honestly curious to see who works out for us more in the long term... Peter or Nazem... (I'm talking years and years down the line)

Mapleleafs Fan*

Was it not JVR that passed it? Cant remember, wasn't paying much attention to the game at that time.

It was him who passed to Kessel from our zone and then a little tic tac between Kessel and JVR. Kessel couldn't materialize it, not a bad play though all around.

BiggestLeafsFanEVER*

Number 1 centre for sure, lookout Bozak!!!!

(sarcasm)

lol well considering bozo wasn't even in the NHL at Holland's age it's no stretch to think he could end up better. TBH it's no stretch to think pretty much anyone could be better than Bozo

thewave

Jun 17, 2011
You have to sell Holland on how grea this opportunity is for him. He has the ability to play with top players and tell him, look what JVR has done here. Even if he knows already, the hope and chance may be just what he needs to be a solid top 6 guy. The kids no bust he could be a good you can see the player has talent in the way he moves and you know he is smart from the way he speaks. This is really a fantastic pickup and even if he doesn't make it he could be a great Marlie and depth guy for years to come.

Status
Not open for further replies.

Ad

Upcoming events

Ad

Ad

-->