Peter Holland

Status
Not open for further replies.

StringsAttached

BPD Nation!
Oct 1, 2013
Vaughan, ON
First game, no practice, no chemistry and he played a damn good game. No mistakes if I can recall. Really excited for this guy hope he doesn't break under all the pressure.

Oct 19, 2007
Ha ha @ the armchair coaches and general managers dissecting Hollands game and future with the Leafs after 11:43 TOI .. Personally I think that Nonis did the trade with some vision to the future. I don't think that he would give up Blacker and a second round pick ( yes it will become a 2nd round pick ) just for a player to play on the Marlies.JMO

The_Chosen_One

Jul 4, 2006
Melbourne, Australia
Kulemin has 3 shots in total this entire freaking season. Putting him out with Clarkson and Bozak will help him get more offensive chances and he and clarkson can dominate the boards game. I'm not expecting that line to be a true #2 line in terms of offensive production.
I cannot see Kadri supplanting Bozak on that top line. We need to spread out of playmakers in Kadri and Kessel so that we can establish scoring depth. Instead, I see....

JVR - Bozak - Kessel
Lupul - Holland - Kulemin/ Raymond
Raymond/ Kulemin- Kadri - Clarkson

Holland isn't third liner material. He's a top six forward or bust, and I feel that Carlyle will probably trial him with Lupul. Kadri, on the other hand, will be given a PWF in Clarkson and a good support guy in Raymond/ Kulemin. I'm thinking his third linemate will be Raymond with Kulemin defensively supporting a young Holland.

ECanuck

Jan 7, 2010
Hamilton
I haven't watched Holland play at all. His skating stands out.

Vision, skill, shot, defense. Don't know nothin' about the kid.

Hope he turns out good.

hockeygeek

Apr 28, 2010
There was a lot of pre game hype for a guy who was just acquired for Jesse Blacker. I thought he was pretty meh.

Bluelines

Python FTW!
Nov 17, 2013
Holland

I thought for a young kid he showed good poise with the puck and was good without the puck.

thewave

Jun 17, 2011
First game, no practice, no chemistry and he played a damn good game. No mistakes if I can recall. Really excited for this guy hope he doesn't break under all the pressure.

That's all you look for, how he skates, does he stay in good position, does he have a good pass and shot. Is his Stamina good and questions like that. He seemed to be okay! That's promising.

When Clarkson first came I was really concerned, he looked completely lost and had no clue how to do stuff the way we do stuff. Holland sort of just grabbed his lunchbox grabbed a hammer and went to work.

It means he isn't dumb!

ShameOnYouZidlicky

Jun 4, 2010
Once Bozak and Kadri come back I think hes gone to the Marlies (barring winger injury where he may sub in). Hes not suitable for a bottom 6 role at all.

He's going to need to show that he can play physical and defensively responsible if he's going to stay as the 4C, thats for sure. If he does, however, produce offensively I wouldn't mind bumping Bozak to the third line and McClement to the 4th when bozak/kadri are back.

bonjovi0308

Jan 26, 2003
Toronto
Visit site
Probably the few highly skilled, top 6 or bust kind of forward prospect which we lack in our system. I know it doesn't mean much but he was ranked at no. 5 prospect for the ducks prospect depth chart. What are the terms of his contract?

thewave

Jun 17, 2011
Probably the few highly skilled, top 6 or bust kind of forward prospect which we lack in our system. I know it doesn't mean much but he was ranked at no. 5 prospect for the ducks prospect depth chart. What are the terms of his contract?

He was apparently ranked 3 the year prior.

Stephen

Feb 28, 2002
I thought Holland looked pretty good, played fairly intelligently and looked like he was brought up in a good developmental system. Like a better groomed Joe Colborne, who is more of a natural big body playing a big body role.

nuck

Schrodingers Cat
Aug 18, 2005
Once Bozak and Kadri come back I think hes gone to the Marlies (barring winger injury where he may sub in). Hes not suitable for a bottom 6 role at all.

If he shows some game I think they will keep him around although he might not play some nights. So long as it isn't a cap issue it comes down to whether they think he would develop better with low minutes in the NHL or playing big minutes in the AHL.

Donato

#BarSouth
Nov 19, 2011
Check out the kings depth chart how many centres they got up in the nhl currently
http://www.capgeek.com/kings/depth-chart/

If they can manage Kopitar Richards Carter And Stoll (soon Toffoli as he's making a decent push) then I don't see how Bozak Kadri Holland and Bolland will be an issue.

They run carter on the wing mostly. Since holland is kind of a shoot first centre from the impression the ducks board left. Then maybe it's not a bad idea to have him on the wing like carter.

JVR Bozak Kessel
Holland Kadri Lupul
Raymond Bolland Clarkson
Kulemin Mcclement Orr/ Ashton

Could be dangerous come playoffs if all pans out

hockeywiz542

May 26, 2008
http://o.canada.com/sports/leafs-deal-for-centre-changes-team-dynamic/

TORONTO — Everywhere Dave Nonis looked, teams were trying to unload their high-paid problems on a general manager who seemed desperate to make a deal. The Toronto Maple Leafs were without their top three centres and their offence was sputtering. James van Riemsdyk, who was moved from the wing to the middle, had gone five games without a goal.

The Leafs, who had lost to the last-place Buffalo Sabres, were screaming out for a solution. But Nonis, who had offers, refused to make a short-term fix that would become a long-term burden.

Instead, the Leafs traded for a 22-year-old former first-round pick whose impact today might not be as significant as it is in the future.

“It’s not just a short-term solution,” said Nonis, after acquiring Peter Holland, along with Brad Staubitz, from the Anaheim Ducks on Saturday for Jesse Blacker, a conditional third-round and a seventh-round pick in the 2014 draft. “We look at the long term for him and we think he has the potential to be a long-term player for us. Whether or not he continues to contribute here will depend on his play.”

From the outside looking in, the trade for Holland appeared to be a knee-jerk reaction following the three-game suspension Nazem Kadri received Thursday. But Nonis said the Leafs had been in talks to acquire the 6-foot-2 centre as early as last season. Those talks heated up again shortly after Dave Bolland’s ankle tendon was severed two weeks ago, joining Tyler Bozak on the long-term injured reserve.

It was a trade, Nonis said, he would have made regardless of the team’s shortage down the middle.

“From our standpoint, it accomplishes two goals,” Nonis said of acquiring Holland, who was the Norfolk Admirals’ leading scorer with five goals and nine points in 10 games. “It provides a centre for now that is capable of playing, but it also gives us depth at a position that we’re lacking. And he’s still on his entry-level (contract).

“He’s a guy that has upside. Whether he realizes that potential or not remains to be seen but we think there’s an opportunity for him to turn into a solid player for us.”

HeroNtF

Jul 9, 2012
We should be happy with nonis, he coulda grabbed a vet, instead he grabbed a kid to develop. Regardless if holland pieces it together or is a colborne, this is the type of move that previous management groups befpre burke wouldnt have made.

FlareKnight

Jun 26, 2006
Alberta
Seems like a good guy and honestly I like the move. Add a young guy who obviously can fill a hole right now, but also could be a good part of the team going forward. Solid trade and looking forward to seeing what he can do when he's had a few moments to get used to the situation. A pretty wild way to get into your first game as a Leaf that's for sure.

jughead42*

This guy is going to steal minutes from Kadri and make the fanboys furious, he's Bozak version 2.0 if you ask me, not that there's anything wrong with that. Can't wait.

pooleboy

Dec 23, 2009
Ontario
imo Holland played great last game, i like seeing him on the top line giving him an opportunity to show his stuff, when kadri comes back i see him on the top unit and holland #2 but this isn't a move that will hurt the leafs imo because he plays well he stays (and that pick turns into a 2nd which he will be better than... if he sticks obvi) if he gets sent down hes probably our top Center on the marlies and will get big minutes with them, i can see him being the third line C when kadri and bozak come back. but im happy with this deal, could be a potential fleecing.

IBeL34f

Lilly-grin
Jun 3, 2010
Toronto
This guy is going to steal minutes from Kadri and make the fanboys furious, he's Bozak version 2.0 if you ask me, not that there's anything wrong with that. Can't wait.

If there's one thing people know about us Kadri supporters, it's that we hate acquiring new young talent.

Status
Not open for further replies.

Ad

Upcoming events

Ad

Ad

-->