Peter Holland Falling?

evgeni71

May 28, 2008
Vancouver
What happened to Peter Holland?

I remember a couple months ago Holland was on everyone's top 20 list. Just today, TSN's mock drafts had him (McGuire) going 30th to Detroit and (Button) not even in the first round. Why did he drop so much? He seems like quite the package, 6'2 skilled center with soft hands and PPG pace with Guelph this year.

evgeni71

May 28, 2008
Vancouver
Well if Josh Bailey was taken in the top 10 last year, and Holland, a bigger version of him, is a late first rounder, then wow, this is a deep draft.

Michael Farkas

Celebrate 68
Jun 28, 2006
NYC
www.hockeyprospect.com
Scouts are probably scared off by his inconsistent effort, poor work ethic and sometimes perimeter play...he doesn't strike me as a player that is focused on the ice and off...if he wakes up and become everything he can be, we're talking Eric Staal in terms of style perhaps...if he doesn't, we're talking a less talented version of Tyler Arnason or thereabouts...very high bust potential with this kid, maybe the biggest in the first round...

Jeffrey

Feb 2, 2003
Montreal
Visit site
Holland does remember a little bit of the Getzlaf case from 2003.
All the skills to suceed but very inconsistant. Yes I does conceed that Getzlaf is/was considered way more skilled and way more physical than the current Holland but in term of tools only Holland is a top 10 picks this year.Personally , I would pick him up only if i'm sure he has the right mind and the willingness to continue his progression and not just rely on his superior physical tools.

Noldo

May 28, 2007
Holland does remember a little bit of the Getzlaf case from 2003.
All the skills to suceed but very inconsistant. Yes I does conceed that Getzlaf is/was considered way more skilled and way more physical than the current Holland but in term of tools only Holland is a top 10 picks this year.Personally , I would pick him up only if i'm sure he has the right mind and the willingness to continue his progression and not just rely on his superior physical tools.

Considering that he was reported to have been quite a disapointment in intrviews during combine, I would expect that at least some scouts/management teams share your concern regarding his mind and he did not manage to dismiss those concerns during the meetings.

Still, with his physical tools, it takes just one GM / head scout that believes Holland can make it and Peter fill find himself on the podium during the 1st round of the draft. Gezlaf made it, but there are many cases that did not.

Hunter Gathers

The Crown
Feb 27, 2002
parts unknown
Scouts are probably scared off by his inconsistent effort, poor work ethic and sometimes perimeter play...he doesn't strike me as a player that is focused on the ice and off...if he wakes up and become everything he can be, we're talking Eric Staal in terms of style perhaps...if he doesn't, we're talking a less talented version of Tyler Arnason or thereabouts...very high bust potential with this kid, maybe the biggest in the first round...

I still think Kadri has larger bust potential, but I definitely see Holland at a close 2nd.

Frankly, he's dropping like a rock and I almost envision an Evan McGrath situation going on. I can't imagine that'd happen, but stranger things HAVE happened.

Qubax

Oct 25, 2002
Visit site
To me the guy has a skill set similar to Eric Staal.

He does have that cocky ego attitude, almost of a young Spezza, with the "very casual" approach of a Joe Thornton.

But let's be honest, even if Spezza or Thornton aren't great leaders or necessarily winners...they are still excellent top players....

and granted, Holland doesn't have the sheer upside of Spezza or Thornton, but he also has more upside then virtually ANYONE drafted 20 and beyond...

..and he's probably safer then a real boom or bust type pick in Rajala.

I really like Holland, and I just think he needs to grow up a bit...he'll be a solid NHLer even if he isn't destined to be a captain...

wings5

Jan 6, 2008
He reminds me of Spezza in the way that he appears lazy but in reality his first step quickness and agility are not great. As a player though he plays like Patrick Marleau which can be a really good thing and a bit of a bad thing.

Tavaresmagicalplay*

I don't know how this guy had bad interviews, his average in school is in the 90's...

The kid is very bright, so it's kind of surprising that teams seemed to be so disappointed with him at the combine.

What does that have to do with interviews? Theres guys who never go to class and get 90s.

DaveG

Noted Jerk
Apr 7, 2003
Winston-Salem NC
To me the guy has a skill set similar to Eric Staal.

He does have that cocky ego attitude, almost of a young Spezza, with the "very casual" approach of a Joe Thornton.

But let's be honest, even if Spezza or Thornton aren't great leaders or necessarily winners...they are still excellent top players....

and granted, Holland doesn't have the sheer upside of Spezza or Thornton, but he also has more upside then virtually ANYONE drafted 20 and beyond...

..and he's probably safer then a real boom or bust type pick in Rajala.

I really like Holland, and I just think he needs to grow up a bit...he'll be a solid NHLer even if he isn't destined to be a captain...

I wouldn't say he's quite as skilled as a Staal type player. But stylistically that's about as close a comparison as you can get. I think the McGrath comparison of Holland's draft stock isn't out to lunch at all. Probably won't be all the way down to the 4th round, but he could easily fall to the mid 2nd IMO. In fact I see it much easier then I saw Dalpe falling to the mid 2nd last year.

Hunter Gathers

The Crown
Feb 27, 2002
parts unknown
I wouldn't say he's quite as skilled as a Staal type player. But stylistically that's about as close a comparison as you can get. I think the McGrath comparison of Holland's draft stock isn't out to lunch at all. Probably won't be all the way down to the 4th round, but he could easily fall to the mid 2nd IMO. In fact I see it much easier then I saw Dalpe falling to the mid 2nd last year.

Yeah, I agree. Especially with the bad interviews.

Those things are a killer for some reason.

Ad

Upcoming events

Ad

Ad