Peter Forsberg vs. Evgeni Malkin

Discussion in 'Polls - (hockey-related only)' started by James Gryphon, Mar 11, 2018.

?

Who ranks higher in hockey history?

1. Fan of Forsberg's team(s) voting Forsberg

10.4%
  2. Fan of Malkin's team(s) voting Forsberg

1.0%
  3. Neutral fan voting Forsberg

26.4%
  4. Fan of Malkin's team(s) voting Malkin

11.4%
  5. Fan of Forsberg's team(s) voting Malkin

2.5%
  6. Neutral fan voting Malkin

48.3%
View Users: View Users
  1. authentic

authentic Registered User

Did you not just read the above stats? Forsberg was literally better than Malkin in every way in the playoffs, goals, assists, +/-, and more disciplined while being much more of a physical force and a better defensive player, but he didn't have that one Stanley Cup finals where Detroit smothered Crosby and let Malkin run wild so you don't understand others taking Forsberg?

Last edited: Mar 12, 2018
  2. authentic

Come back when you make some good arguments, you use the fact his team won without him as an indicator of what exactly? His impact on his teams goal differential was arguably the best of the past 25 years in the regular season and playoffs.

3. K Fleur

K Fleur If You Know You Know

That Forsberg wasn’t as important to his team’s playoff success as Malkin is.

Malkin has the higher regular season peak (11-12) and the higher playoff peak (09).

If Malkin finishes this season strong he will have twice as many top 3 scoring finishes as Forsberg. So the better prime, I guess is the best word, goes to Malkin as well.

Like I said earlier if you prefer Forsberg in the playoffs then fine. I don’t think whatever slight playoff edge Forsberg has makes up for the larger edge Malkin has in the regular season.

Do you have the numbers to support this claim? Genuinely curious to what these rankings look like.

Last edited: Mar 12, 2018
  4. HowsUrBreath

HowsUrBreath Nostalgia... STOP DWELLING ON THE PAST

LOL at least somebody admits they choose forsberg because they are biased, no other logical reason to think he's better than malkin

5. HowsUrBreath

HowsUrBreath Nostalgia... STOP DWELLING ON THE PAST

uh crosby had 30 points in 2009

6. vicprestige

vicprestige Registered User

I feel like they're the 2 most similar players I've ever seen career wise and stylistically. I take Malkin because of his goal scoring prowess but besides that it's pretty much a wash.

7. Ageless

Ageless Registered User

Right. I guess crosbys 31 points had nothing to do with it.

8. Slapshot Sultan

Slapshot Sultan Registered User

So what ;)

Yeah, I'll admit Malkin's propably better, but would still choose Forsberg for my team. Although, if Malkin continues what he's doing right now, I may change my mind :laugh:

9. K Fleur

K Fleur If You Know You Know

Post #71

Average or not Malkin was at the very worst a contributor in every finals his team's have made.

A bunch of points in three rounds is a response to the ridiculous amount of praise Forsberg receives for leading the playoffs in scoring without making the finals. It's a ultimately a 3rd round exit with a cool trivia fact attached.

Ovechkin has nothing to do with this thread and you have still failed to establish why he belongs. I'm done talking about him in here.

I assume this was meant to be prefaced with "in the playoffs"? Forsberg was a good goal scorer in the playoffs, no argument there.

Also "shooting enough" is part of being well rounded. Like I've already said I don't particularly care about this argument(despite you attempting to pin it on me) as points all count the same.

I stated in my first post that personal preference is the only argument I can see for Forsberg. Seems like we might be on the same page on atleast one thing.

There is no tie breaker and your initial claim was wrong.

10. bathdog

bathdog Registered User

Great. Your personal opinion stated in a factual manner, thanks for sharing.

Average performer getting the chance to participate is inarguably better than great performer never getting the chance?

We need to start talking about Kris Draper. Seriously.

The bottom line is that Forsberg chances generally wasn't equal to a lot of his direct peers or those since.

I'm not trying to pin anything on you. They belong to the same type of really poor arguments, narratives that some insecure fans repeatedly seem to throw around as significant arguments.

You seem pretty narrow minded. Despite the fact that most of us (probably all) have preferences, some may be unable to perceive external information in an objective manner because it's in direct conflict with what they want.

They were tied.

11. psycat

psycat Registered User

I never said that? However im 100% sure that a peak Lemieux would make Crosby look like the second tier superstar that he infact is.

12. Nocashstyle

Nocashstyle Registered User

Says the guy that just made a claim that Forsberg is a top 5 forward in NHL history.

That is not true at all. Since coming into the league, Malkin has generally been considered one of the top 3 forwards for a decade straight. Forsberg maybe a few seasons at best.

13. MVPGoon

MVPGoon Fat Salonen - Generational Goalie

Peak Forsberg was amazing but his longevity really is a big negative side.

14. Nick Hansen

Nick Hansen Registered User

Painful as I really loved Forsberg, but at this point it is Malkin.

15. Yuri35

Yuri35 Registered User

Pretty hard choice as i'm a big fan of both (Geno even more so, not the least because i love Penguins and i especially loved Mario back then - and Geno reminds me him so much) but i would still pick Foppa for being the complete package and much tougher to unsettle than Geno.

People who say that Forsberg is overrated on this boards simply don't know what they're talking about.
    The guy was quite simply one of the best,most complete players of all time and you only have to look at how his peers and new players talk about the teammate,opponent or the player they admired while they were childs to understand who we are talking about.

He was one of the very few players in history who you could say that when he had the puck, time stopped and the game went at the speed he wanted, not the reverse.

authentic likes this.
  16. daver

daver Registered User

Home Page:
    That is not true at all. Since coming into the league, Malkin has generally been considered one of the top 3 forwards for a decade straight. Forsberg maybe a few seasons at best.[/QUOTE]

That statement doesn't pass the eye test.

Their rookie seasons were close, 2nd years were close, 3rd year goes to Malkin, 4th year goes to Forsberg, 5th year goes to Forsberg. After 5 years, Forsberg is 3rd in points and 4th in PPG (no Mario). Malkin is 8th in points and 3rd in PPG. Malkin has the best regular season in 08/09.

Playoffs is close in terms of points and PPG but Malkin has the best playoff run in 08/09.

I would give Malkin the edge after 5 years but I think you can easily say that Forsberg was a Top 3 forward after five seasons with Jagr and Sakic and not that far behind Malkin.

17. authentic

I didn't make the claim, NHL players voted him that. Once again, it's biased towards modern players but Malkin is a modern player.

18. authentic

People talk about him like he was some run of the mill 1st line center who benefited from a stacked team. It makes me cringe how many people genuinely believe he wasn't close to the best players of the post-lockout era.

Yuri35 likes this.
  19. authentic

Lol, you either weren't alive then, were too young, or are just ignorant. There have also been several seasons during Malkin's career where he was not a top 3 forward, so I would go with the latter on this one.

20. authentic

At their best they are every bit as good as a peak Ovechkin or Crosby IMO.

21. quoipourquoi

quoipourquoi Goaltender

They even score wraparounds the same way: Forsberg takes his on the backhand before spinning to a forehand shot, while Malkin takes his on the forehand before spinning to a backhand shot.

authentic likes this.
  22. Regal

Regal Registered User

Forsberg was widely considered a top three forward after Lemieux retired from 97-98 to the first half of 2005 when he got injured. And overall, from 94-95 to 03-04, he, Jagr and Sakic were the clear best three forwards of that time period, similar to Sid, Ovechkin and Geno

Last edited: Mar 13, 2018
    authentic likes this.
  23. Yuri35

Yuri35 Registered User

At his best, Malkin is better than Ovie or even Sid simply because especially comparing to Ovie, he can beat you on more ways than only scoring goals.
    Ovie at his best was a decent playmaker but nowhere near as good as Malkin while Malkin at his best was not far from the goal scoring machine Ovie was at his best.

24. KoozNetsOff 92

KoozNetsOff 92 Hala Madrid

Lol, nice joke. Must be why in 2 of Malkin's 3 healthy seasons OV tore him a new hole in goals, GPG, PPG, hart voting.. If Malkin was such a better all around offensive threat, you'd think he would have led the NHL in PPG more than 1x.. OV, the goal scorer, did that 3x btw.

25. authentic

Possibly, but Ovechkin and Crosby right there with him either way.