Peter Forsberg vs. Evgeni Malkin

Who ranks higher in hockey history?

• Total voters

James Gryphon

May 12, 2014
Texas
Fans of the Avs and/or Swedes should vote in the 'fan of Forsberg's team' slot. Fans of the Penguins and/or Russians likewise in the 'fan of Malkin's team' slot. Otherwise, feel free to use your own judgment as to what classification of fandom you best fit into.

Laineux

Aug 1, 2011
With the season Malkin is currently having he is pretty much eclipsing Forsberg's career.

Even though I would personally prefer Forsberg.

Reactions: Plural

Regal

Mar 12, 2010
Vancouver
With the season Malkin is currently having he is pretty much eclipsing Forsberg's career.

Even though I would personally prefer Forsberg.

Pretty much. The last two seasons made their playoff records pretty close, and if Geno stays healthy and finishes where he's at now, that would give him 4 full season finishing top 2 in scoring. Forsberg only had 6 years of playing over 65 games. Career-wise, it'd be hard to argue against Malkin.

As players though, I think it's very close. Slight edge to Malkin offensively, mainly due to his ability to also be an elite goalscorer, and the fact he typically had worse linemates, but Forsberg was probably more consistent game in-game out, was the better defensive and possession player, and I believe ultimately probably had the bigger impact on goal differential.

Foppberg

Nov 20, 2016
Summerside, PEI
Statically it's Malkin, that's inevitable. But if both are healthy there are few players that I'd take over Forsberg in a playoff series.

bathdog

Oct 27, 2016
I'm would probably fall under the 'Fan of Forsberg's team(s) voting Malkin', though I'm a fan of Malkin too.

My perception has been described pretty accurately above already. Malkin does, or definitely will, be ahead in career rankings in the traditional sense.

Peak: Forsberg
Prime: ??? Do you prefer per game consistency or length and volume?
Career: Malkin

RS: Malkin
PO: Forsberg

Though the answer to the question asked is Malkin for me, I would go as far as saying I'm not convinced any player since has had a larger impact of on his teams results since peak Forsberg.

Reactions: authentic

supsens

Oct 6, 2013
I'm would probably fall under the 'Fan of Forsberg's team(s) voting Malkin', though I'm a fan of Malkin too.

My perception has been described pretty accurately above already. Malkin does, or definitely will, be ahead in career rankings in the traditional sense.

Peak: Forsberg
Prime: ??? Do you prefer per game consistency or length and volume?
Career: Malkin

RS: Malkin
PO: Forsberg

Though the answer to the question asked is Malkin for me, I would go as far as saying I'm not convinced any player since has had a larger impact of on his teams results since peak Forsberg.

Other then Sakic Roy or Blake? And that’s just his team at the time. Look at every cup winner in the last eight years and you can find a guy that brought results like Forsberg

PatrikBerglund

May 29, 2017
When NHL players voted, Forsberg was viewed as the 5th greatest forward ever.

He is (I believe) 7th in ppg in the history, despite spending a big chunk of his career in the dead hockey era.

Regal

Mar 12, 2010
Vancouver
Other then Sakic Roy or Blake? And that’s just his team at the time. Look at every cup winner in the last eight years and you can find a guy that brought results like Forsberg

Who on Boston, LA or Chicago was ever as good as Forsberg?

bobholly39

Mar 10, 2013
Both very comparable guys but Malkin is having the better career. I also think he's the better talent.

BB88

Jan 19, 2015
It's probably Malkin, but even as a Finn I had insane respect for the game Forsberg played and want to say him.

Absolutely hated seeing him lineup against Finland.

Regal

Mar 12, 2010
Vancouver
Tim T was better
Kane just as good
Quick

I think you're taking Bathdog's comment to be about just who had the best cup run performances, when I'm pretty sure it was a general comment about no one being as good as he was at his best since (in terms of all around play and his overall effect on a game. Ie. Helping his team win). Even still, Kane was only similar offensively, and didn't have close to the overall game.

supsens

Oct 6, 2013
He said larger impact on his teams results. Without the guys I mentioned those team are nothing like they were

Lebowski

El Duderino
Dec 5, 2010

He is (I believe) 7th in ppg in the history, despite spending a big chunk of his career in the dead hockey era.

They also voted Crosby 3rd. I'd take those rankings with a grain a salt.

Sidney the Kidney

One last time
Jun 29, 2009

Hopefully HF remembers this and agrees with the players' opinion when the discussion of where Crosby ranks all-time is brought up.

Slap

Sep 28, 2017

Ppg means very little when the guy was out of the game so early.

Reactions: TheGoldenJet

Ad

Upcoming events

Ad

Ad