Peter Chiarelli: GM of the Year?

Caper Bruins fan

Dec 4, 2011
Cape Breton
I think he has done very well this year but as others have mentioned,let's wait and see how things play out at the trade deadline.The Bruins are close but do need some tinkering to give us a chance to defeat Chicago.

theswede2013

Feb 26, 2013
I don't know how much tinkering we need. I agree with what he said about getting a heavy defensive defensmen for depth.

CDJ

Nov 20, 2006
Hell baby
Well with Reilly Smith alone simply being a slight notch below Seguin, I fail to see how it is the worst trade in Bruins history. Troll job central.

He's a remarkable GM. He could very well win it, but I do not really care either way. I am sure there are other deserving GM's.

missingchicklet

Jan 24, 2010
It's too early to say who should be GM of the year, but so far he definitely deserves to be considered one of the top few GMs. No way this team is where it is now in the standings given all the injuries without some great work by Chia.

LSCII

Cup driven
Mar 1, 2002
Central MA
Well with Reilly Smith alone simply being a slight notch below Seguin, I fail to see how it is the worst trade in Bruins history. Troll job central.

He's a remarkable GM. He could very well win it, but I do not really care either way. I am sure there are other deserving GM's.

Nothing against him, but Reilly Smith is nothing like Tyler Seguin, let alone a "slight notch below". Not that I agree with the poster saying it was the worst trade ever either though...

ODAAT

Oct 17, 2006
Victoria BC
We as Bruins fans (or at least those that care about individual members of this team being recognized for their accomplishments) have come to expect three things for individual awards on this team in any given year: Bergeron should be the favorite for the Selke, Chara should always be in contention for the Norris, and Rask has the looks of a perennial Vezina candidate. Julien should earn way more consideration for the Adams, but the award has always seemed to go to upstart teams that are just experiencing success for the first time, so it appears Julien's Jack Adams days have come and gone.

However, I think PC should not only be in contention for the relatively new GM Award, but he should be the frontrunner. Granted, the award itself is a bit odd as how can one really recognize a GM for just one year of work, but I believe he's done a masterful job of managing the cap and at asset management this year, along with bringing even more players into this organization that fit in perfectly (whether it be through the draft, free agency or trades).

Here's a snapshot of the holes he's had to fill in based on a healthy line-up from late last year and this year's season ending injury to Seidenberg (not to mention other significant injuries this year):

Lucic-Krejci-X
Marchand-Bergeron-X
X-Kelly-X
Paille-Campbell-Thornton

Chara-X
X-Boychuk
Krug-McQuaid

Rask
X

That is a lot of important pieces to replace, and yet the Bruins find themselves as being deeper than they've ever been, and better at this point in the season than they have been in a while. Despite the overhaul of the blueline, they're the #2 ranked defensive team in the league, and he's ensured that all of their core is locked up long-term to boot.

Are there awards for Scouting staff personel?? If so, those who have identified some of these players who seem to be on the right path to being contributing members of either this team, or others if a trade occurs, should be recognized

I`m a massive Chia backer, but I`m guessing when it comes to drafting or signing players from the College ranks, if you don`t have capable scouting, you`d miss out on it and it appears Chia trusts his scouts implicitly....except for Wayne Smith:sarcasm:

MarcoBostonBruinsFan

Jan 27, 2014
New BRUNSWICK CANADA
Who really knows..? It's not that bad of a trade after all. The B's are first in the Atlantic at the Olympic break and with all the injuries they had to deal with I truely believe they are not in a bad shape at all. Just having Reilly Smith into the roster helps a lot and when Loui Eriksson will be completly back in top shape I don't see why there is something to worry about other than adding a lock down- two-way Defensman...and possibly some speed in front...Chia's still have time before the trade deadline to improve the Bruins.
He is the best GM in our days !

Ad

Upcoming events

Ad

Ad