Player Discussion Peter Cehlarik - III

finchster

Jul 12, 2006
Antalya
However, is this resurgence of sorts interesting to the Bruins?
Everything should be looked at in context. Generally speaking, if there is a young player preforming that well in that league, it is interesting. However, Cehlarik is 25, has little room to grow, and his performance isn't THAT impressive. Carter Camper has 17 points in 11 games for example.
Top European leagues are filled with guys who extremely talented, but perhaps are deficient in one area which keeps them from being NHL players. Cehlarik just isn't a good enough skater IMO.

Kegs

Nov 10, 2010
Everything should be looked at in context. Generally speaking, if there is a young player preforming that well in that league, it is interesting. However, Cehlarik is 25, has little room to grow, and his performance isn't THAT impressive. Carter Camper has 17 points in 11 games for example.
Top European leagues are filled with guys who extremely talented, but perhaps are deficient in one area which keeps them from being NHL players. Cehlarik just isn't a good enough skater IMO.
Ya he seems to pour on the points in the lower leagues. But he doesn’t skate at an nhl level. Seems to have the iq and everything but if u can’t keep up you can’t play in the nhl.

Reactions: finchster

Mick Riddleton

“A day without sunshine is like, you know, night.”
Apr 24, 2017
Niagara
Ya he seems to pour on the points in the lower leagues. But he doesn’t skate at an nhl level. Seems to have the iq and everything but if u can’t keep up you can’t play in the nhl.
As I am reading this I was thinking we have seen Chara and both Ritchies and Backes on this team skate slowly. He would be worth a shot on Krechs wing with Kase as a look see if they move Jake for a deeman. Krech does not like both wingers to be speed demons.

Last edited:

Over the volcano

Mar 10, 2006
Watertown
Think he keeps up just fine - problem is the overall pace. He doesn’t drive or push much but rather waits for opportunities that show themselves more often in lower levels.

Good to see him having success though, hope the rest of the league notices and takes a flyer on him.

BruinDust

Aug 2, 2005

Par Lindholm in his final SHL season was almost a PPG player (age 25 season)

Joonas Kemppainen score TEN goals in 17 playoff games over in the KHL in 2019.

Yet, we've seen how both of these players are the NHL level were offensively deficient, offering basically zero contributions with the puck from the blue-line in.

Not only is the talent gap between the NHL and European/Russian leagues great, the style of game is drastically different, especially when you factor in international sized ice that some leagues/teams play on.

The KHL is literally loaded with former NHL guys who got a cup of coffee at the NHL level but ultimately were unable to carve out a niche or spot in order to be a long-term NHL player.

Names of hockey luminaries such as Linus Omark, Nigel Dawes, Linden Vey, Peter Holland, Corbin Knight ,Jorden Schroader, Peter Regin, and Bruins legend Kasper "Dog-man" Daugevins were all among the Top 30 KHL scorers last year. Some of these guys were fairly highly regarded prospects once upon a time. Yet none of them could ever be considered legit full-time long-term NHL players.

Reactions: finchster and CDJ

Blowfish

Count down ...
Jan 13, 2005
Southwestern Ontario

Would be nice to know whether or not his line-mates Camper and Hrivik are the benefactors of Cehlarik? All three are leading the SHL.

Any SHL fans out there?

No secrete I'm a big fan of his however like some have said, his skating/pace were lacking hindering his potential. Perhaps this has improved?

finchster

Jul 12, 2006
Antalya

Yet, we've seen how both of these players are the NHL level were offensively deficient, offering basically zero contributions with the puck from the blue-line in.

Not only is the talent gap between the NHL and European/Russian leagues great, the style of game is drastically different, especially when you factor in international sized ice that some leagues/teams play on.

The KHL is literally loaded with former NHL guys who got a cup of coffee at the NHL level but ultimately were unable to carve out a niche or spot in order to be a long-term NHL player.

Names of hockey luminaries such as Linus Omark, Nigel Dawes, Linden Vey, Peter Holland, Corbin Knight ,Jorden Schroader, Peter Regin, and Bruins legend Kasper "Dog-man" Daugevins were all among the Top 30 KHL scorers last year. Some of these guys were fairly highly regarded prospects once upon a time. Yet none of them could ever be considered legit full-time long-term NHL players.
NHL players generally have no weaknesses. They may be so good that their weaknesses can be ignored. But generally, they do everything at a high level.

I had season tickets for Spartak Moscow, and after watching a lot of KHL, there are many players there with NHL skills- Great skaters, stick handlers, high hockey IQ etc. But their weaknesses make them unable to stick long term or carve out a niche.

I think Cehlarik is a good player who couldn't overcome his weaknesses. He certainly had the whole package to get people interested.

Reactions: BruinDust
Aug 25, 2009
éal
Named best player at the World Championship. Does Boston still hold his rights? Do you think he has what it takes to succeed in the NHL?

Mick Riddleton

“A day without sunshine is like, you know, night.”
Apr 24, 2017
Niagara
Named best player at the World Championship. Does Boston still hold his rights? Do you think he has what it takes to succeed in the NHL?
I found this from Dec 2020

Since these tumultuous few years in Boston, Cehlarik has since headed for more Swedish pastures. Currently signed to SHL’s Leksands club, Cehlarik is averaging exactly one point-per-game over 21 games as of this writing and is still Bruins property by technicality only. Boston extended a qualifying offer this off-season, which means his rights remain with the Bruins as long as they continue to submit qualifying offers at the end of each year until his age-27 season, after which he would become an unrestricted free agent. He was very good in for Team Slovakia playing on a line with Providence Bruin Lantosi.

Born: August 2, 1995 (age 25 years)

BruinDust

Aug 2, 2005
His deal in the SHL is two-years, so he has another year left. No idea if there are any out-clauses and whatnot. Will be interesting to see what his future holds. You'd have to think there is an NHL GM or two out there who may have interest.

Maybe his rights could be used as incentive to pursued Seattle to take a particular player. For example, Seattle takes Jakob Zboril instead of Lauzon or Clifton and the Bruins then give the rights to Cehlarik.

Also keep in mind his rights will be "exposed" so with this fairly high-profile honor of the Tournament's best player, he may end up being Seattle's target anyways, considering the list of players the Bruins will likely expose to Seattle is relatively shallow. I mean, if your going to make a an expansion pick, I'd have to think Cehlarik after his most recent season has more value/interest than say Trent Frederic who appears to have fairly limited upside.

kudla

May 11, 2016
Bratislava, Slovakia
His deal in the SHL is two-years, so he has another year left. No idea if there are any out-clauses and whatnot. Will be interesting to see what his future holds. You'd have to think there is an NHL GM or two out there who may have interest.

Maybe his rights could be used as incentive to pursued Seattle to take a particular player. For example, Seattle takes Jakob Zboril instead of Lauzon or Clifton and the Bruins then give the rights to Cehlarik.

Also keep in mind his rights will be "exposed" so with this fairly high-profile honor of the Tournament's best player, he may end up being Seattle's target anyways, considering the list of players the Bruins will likely expose to Seattle is relatively shallow. I mean, if your going to make a an expansion pick, I'd have to think Cehlarik after his most recent season has more value/interest than say Trent Frederic who appears to have fairly limited upside.
He is leaving SHL and likely will join a KHL team soon.

Reactions: BruinDust

RussellmaniaKW

Sep 15, 2004
admittedly i haven't seen him since he left Boston, but unless something has changed he's not fast enough physically or mentally to be relied on on the NHL. He always had loads of skill so it makes sense that he's producing internationally and in lesser leagues but I think he's just another one of those guys with NHL skill but not NHL quickness.

Blowfish

Count down ...
Jan 13, 2005
Southwestern Ontario
admittedly i haven't seen him since he left Boston, but unless something has changed he's not fast enough physically or mentally to be relied on on the NHL. He always had loads of skill so it makes sense that he's producing internationally and in lesser leagues but I think he's just another one of those guys with NHL skill but not NHL quickness.

Not sure about this. I always felt he was extremely gifted making plays/scoring. Bruce harnessed Cehlarik trying to limit his play making skills. Very unfortunate. Bruce likes puck pursuit/hard on the puck with speed. I do to however need some skilled players to go with that.

I believe he's NHL ready but needs to be the right coach and team play.

Last edited:
Reactions: missingchicklet

RussellmaniaKW

Sep 15, 2004
Not sure about this. I always felt he was extremely gifted making plays/scoring. Bruce harnessed Cehlarik trying to limit his play making skills. Very unfortunate. Bruce likes puck pursuit/hard on the puck with speed. Unfortunately this isn't Cehlarik's game.

I believe he's NHL ready but needs to be the right coach and team play.
I don't buy it. He got plenty of chances with Krejci (and what little production he had was probably thanks in large part to Krejci). They are both not standout skaters and both rely on their skill to be productive. What sets Krejci apart and allows him to be nearly elite in the NHL is his hockey IQ. Cehlarik couldn't keep up with him consistently in that regard. But stylistically he couldn't have asked for a better center. If he didn't produce it has nothing to do with Bruce "harnessing" him or whatever. He gave him every chance to succeed.

Blowfish

Count down ...
Jan 13, 2005
Southwestern Ontario
I don't buy it. He got plenty of chances with Krejci (and what little production he had was probably thanks in large part to Krejci). They are both not standout skaters and both rely on their skill to be productive. What sets Krejci apart and allows him to be nearly elite in the NHL is his hockey IQ. Cehlarik couldn't keep up with him consistently in that regard. But stylistically he couldn't have asked for a better center. If he didn't produce it has nothing to do with Bruce "harnessing" him or whatever. He gave him every chance to succeed.

I guess we agree to disagree. I thought he played well with Krejci when he was allowed to play Cehlarik hockey but that dissipated with Cassidy involvement. Cehlarik's game time slowly disappeared. He's proving himself outside the organization which is telling IMO.

missingchicklet

Jan 24, 2010
I disagree Bruce gave him every chance to succeed. He played 40 games over 4 seasons, never more than 20 games in a single season, and never averaging a lot of ice time. Never got in a playoff game. He had a great Corsi and Fenwick. He also had a stupid amount of great passes setting guys up for goals completely botched by his linemates. Not to beat a dead horse, but IMO the Bs mishandled Cehlarik big time, and during a period in which they desperately needed secondary scoring. I agree he is not a Bruce-type player. Might not be the worst thing in the world for a guy who is a good playmaker and scorer.

Number8

HFBoards Sponsor
Sponsor
Oct 31, 2007

I had a discussion with an Islanders fan at the start of the series where he was saying that their veteran goaltending duo was better than ours because of the fact that Swayman had played only a handful of games. I reminded him that Sorokin wasn't exactly a steel hardened NHL vet.

He responded by saying that Sorokin had won the KHL "Vezina" and was the "best goalie in the world outside of the NHL".:laugh::laugh::laugh:

That's not laughing at Sorokin - he could be good goalie (rebounds???? Yikes). But rather that the difference between the KHL and other leagues the NHL on all fronts is really significant. Not that there aren't some very good players out there, but overall a huge dropoff.

Over the volcano

Mar 10, 2006
Watertown
I disagree Bruce gave him every chance to succeed. He played 40 games over 4 seasons, never more than 20 games in a single season, and never averaging a lot of ice time. Never got in a playoff game. He had a great Corsi and Fenwick. He also had a stupid amount of great passes setting guys up for goals completely botched by his linemates. Not to beat a dead horse, but IMO the Bs mishandled Cehlarik big time, and during a period in which they desperately needed secondary scoring. I agree he is not a Bruce-type player. Might not be the worst thing in the world for a guy who is a good playmaker and scorer.
He was also done in by the organizational glut at left wing. A passive playmaking left winger would have to be ridiculously productive to stick around on this club. . . just ask Heinen.

BruinDust

Aug 2, 2005
Does Cehlarik skate well enough to play at the pace required in the NHL? That is the part I'm not certain of. I think he has a bunch of other fine attributes, but his skating ultimately may keep him from NHL success.

missingchicklet

Jan 24, 2010
Does Cehlarik skate well enough to play at the pace required in the NHL? That is the part I'm not certain of. I think he has a bunch of other fine attributes, but his skating ultimately may keep him from NHL success.
I think that's the knock on him. I didn't see his skating burning the Bs in his stints here. He has good reach, which helps him on D, and is why he had a lot more takeaways than giveaways. As someone mentioned earlier, he can likely be a pretty decent NHLer in the right system. He sure the heck is better than a lot of guys on NHL teams at the moment. It's possible he is content playing in Europe, though, where he can be assured more of a starring and consistent role. I have no idea. He was by all accounts a really nice young man in Providence and highly coachable. Only reason I was irritated with his use while in Boston was that I thought he could develop into a contributing scorer with the Bs and maybe end up being a much-needed offensive-minded middle 6 player for the Bs.

Ad

Upcoming events

Ad

Ad

-->