Player Discussion Peter Cehlarik - II

GloryDaze4877

Barely Irrelevant
Jun 27, 2006
The Sticks (West MA)
Boy, it's funny what people see -- not saying you are wrong, just that different people see different things.

For me Cehlarik is certainly not fast but his speed to me is absolutely not an issue. He's often in the right place for the back check, is a puck winning hound, and makes some sweet passes. Not only do I see him as a top 9, but I see him as a lock for Krejci on the 2nd line.

I think Cehlarik is slow also, but he appears to have the hockey IQ to offset quite a bit of that.

His turnover in the 3rd WAS awful, but it was just a really bad decision and had nothing to do with his lack of speed.

mikelvl

Aug 6, 2009
Newton, MA
For a slow guy he was pretty quick on Pasta's goal to chase that dump in to the corner and pass it to Miller. But I know what you mean. One game he can look like a legit top6 player and the next one not. From my point of view it's his urgency. His first game against Philly he had a good urgency. Then he has had games with no urgency where he looked "slow". Sometimes he overthinks or forces the plays with a high risk instead of keeping them just simple with a low risk.

I think this is well said, and probably more what I was trying to say, thanks. A lot of these young players seem to have consistency issues, maybe the guys who stick will be the ones who develop this consistency over time.

rocketdan9

Feb 5, 2009
I couldn't really catch the game

but how did Celly do?

The things I did notice....

-On one of the goals given up, it looks like he was at the wrong place at the wrong time .... un covered King player scored

-When the tied goal was let in was not his fault

-He was open for that one time pass by Krejci to Krug (leading to goal by Krejci)

- With 2 mins to go he tried to thread the needle pass to Pasta (almost deflected in by Kings D)

Overall I wish he would try shooting the puck more instead of trying to "please" the other players.

He should have shot the puck on that last play

Reactions: Pomee

sarge88

HFBoards Sponsor
Sponsor
Jan 29, 2003
I like Krejci, I like Cehlarik and I like Pasta.....

I don’t like Krejci, Cehlarik and Pasta together in the defensive zone.

BruinsFanSince94

The Perfect Fan ™
Sep 28, 2017
New England
Cehlarik is playing well, but definitely isn't a fixture in the Top 6. I'd like him better on the 3rd line with a legitimate Top 6 winger, or DeBrusk finding his game and playing with Krejci/Pastrnak.

Cehlarik is producing at a 0.44 PPG clip, but at the same time he's been pointless in 6/9 games.

rocketdan9

Feb 5, 2009
Excellent play/goal last night

Smart goal

Just needs to watch the small short passes that could lead to turnovers....especially mid ice

Hates to dump and chase ... but sometimes he needs to

Also need to decide "quicker"... as he got stripped from behind a few times

Cassidy is a heckler of these small things

Mick Riddleton

“A day without sunshine is like, you know, night.”
Apr 24, 2017
Niagara
If they get someone in a trade then move him down with Frederic. They had chemistry in Providence. just sit old man Backes for good. He screws up every line

False Start

May 8, 2018
Excellent play/goal last night

Smart goal

Just needs to watch the small short passes that could lead to turnovers....especially mid ice

Hates to dump and chase ... but sometimes he needs to

Also need to decide "quicker"... as he got stripped from behind a few times

Cassidy is a heckler of these small things

He's also inexplicably losing board battles.

Like he's 6'2 200+ and defenseman are out muscling him when he's trying to keep the puck.

BUT he does a lot of good things, smart (sometimes risky) passes.

A lot to like, but a lot to work on. Once he figures it out he can carve a role out in the NHL for sure.

BruinsFanSince94

The Perfect Fan ™
Sep 28, 2017
New England
If they get someone in a trade then move him down with Frederic. They had chemistry in Providence. just sit old man Backes for good. He screws up every line

Frederic is not ready for the NHL. I would hope that, if Cehlarik isn't dealt, he's moved down to the 3rd line and a legitimate 3rd line center is brought in.

On Cehlarik, nice to see him continuing to have success at the NHL level. Smart offensive player (train wreck in his own end). His vision and passing skills are a treat to watch. He does turn the puck over, but that happens with offensive guys.

One thing I would like to see, assuming he sticks with the organization, is for Cehlarik to work with whoever Kevan Miller worked with on his skating (was it Kim Brandvold?). If he can improve just a little bit, it would do a lot.

rocketdan9

Feb 5, 2009
He's also inexplicably losing board battles.

Like he's 6'2 200+ and defenseman are out muscling him when he's trying to keep the puck.

BUT he does a lot of good things, smart (sometimes risky) passes.

A lot to like, but a lot to work on. Once he figures it out he can carve a role out in the NHL for sure.

Agree

Has 5 pts in 11 games vs Donato 9 pts in 30 plus games

Already a better producer/rate

BruinsNetwork

Frederic is not ready for the NHL. I would hope that, if Cehlarik isn't dealt, he's moved down to the 3rd line and a legitimate 3rd line center is brought in.

On Cehlarik, nice to see him continuing to have success at the NHL level. Smart offensive player (train wreck in his own end). His vision and passing skills are a treat to watch. He does turn the puck over, but that happens with offensive guys.

One thing I would like to see, assuming he sticks with the organization, is for Cehlarik to work with whoever Kevan Miller worked with on his skating (was it Kim Brandvold?). If he can improve just a little bit, it would do a lot.

Danielle Logano is the power-skating coach or Miller and many other players in the NHL— she’s fantastic at what she does. I think if Cehlarik sticks around the NHL he can easily improve his skating.

Nonetheless, Cehlarik is playing very well and should have had a few more goals had he not gotten stoned (hellboy in WPG) so far. He’s doing all the right things and proving to be a capable top-six forward right now. I do wonder how many more points he’d have if he had been recalled earlier, though. I don’t think the extra time in Providence hurt him, but rather the opposite.

BigGoalBrad

Jun 3, 2012
Hes a player. Not a superstar but this is the kind of guy you want on your second/third line. Obviously he isn't small enough for some of our fans and not as good at fighting for others who will be demanding Fredric replace him after a couple off nights but this is a 35-40 point minimum guy.

Can we have him and Heinen both signed for under 5 mil combined for 3-4 years? That would be great value. Heinen can f*** himself if he wants 4+ for his 47 point year last year mind you. But 2.5 for Heinen and 2.25 for Cehlarik is about right from my angle.

Friar85

Dec 16, 2013
I’m seeing some of what really concerned me about his game in Providence, turnovers in terrible spots and a lack of pace. But, he has been much better in the lower half of the offensive zone than I expected. I didn’t think his game would translate as well as it has, dots and below, so far. As long as he can maintain a consistent effort level, he looks like an NHLer to me just based on his offensive instincts and skill. What is it that the smart scouts say? Look at what a player does well and not just what they don’t.

RussellmaniaKW

Sep 15, 2004
I like him but my gut tells me he's being scouted right now. Edmonton & Anaheim both scouted the last couple Bruins games & he is one of the few guys on the roster that makes sense as someone the Bs might be shopping.

I think he'll be traded.

Ratty

Feb 2, 2003
Rive Gauche
Visit site
I like him but my gut tells me he's being scouted right now. Edmonton & Anaheim both scouted the last couple Bruins games & he is one of the few guys on the roster that makes sense as someone the Bs might be shopping.

I think he'll be traded.
I hope he’s not. But, at least he has greatly enhanced his value by showing he can, indeed, play at the NHL level.

DominicT

Sep 6, 2009
Stratford Ontario
dom.hockey
Danielle Logano is the power-skating coach or Miller and many other players in the NHL— she’s fantastic at what she does. I think if Cehlarik sticks around the NHL he can easily improve his skating.

Nonetheless, Cehlarik is playing very well and should have had a few more goals had he not gotten stoned (hellboy in WPG) so far. He’s doing all the right things and proving to be a capable top-six forward right now. I do wonder how many more points he’d have if he had been recalled earlier, though. I don’t think the extra time in Providence hurt him, but rather the opposite.

She's also worked with Sean Kuraly.

The Caps use her a lot

rocketdan9

Feb 5, 2009
I hope he’s not. But, at least he has greatly enhanced his value by showing he can, indeed, play at the NHL level.

I'am indifferent. I think once things to really heat up, Cehlarik could suffer

His skating is only average at best (or even a tad below). And his decision making is good at times and bad at others. Too many turnovers these days and not enough wins along the boards

The good thing is, he is scoring at a rate of every other game

When he first came up this season...he was desperate and hungry. These days not so much

he can't afford to let the foot off the gas, even the slightest

elMatador

Feb 20, 2008
A lot to like about his game, some things not so much.

After 11 games he has 4 goals and 1 assist. I think this is the biggest change in his approach. Shooting more and getting to the open areas to score. In previous seasons he would be looking for a linemate to make a pass first. Seeing some of his goals looks like its so easy to score. Well, that's his best asset, knowing where to go and how to get there at the right moment. The last goal on PP as the perfect example, stood just behind the red line and paced his start to the Krug's rush into the o-zone, made no attempt on Krug pass and let it go to Heinen. A lot of credit to Heinen to execute Krug's idea to perfection. Before his goal he had 2 more golden opportunities, one very similar in the first period and then he was all alone in front of Delia in the second period. Also made a nice dish to Moore on PP. For a guy who was referred as not having NHL pace not so bad.

Things to like not so much. Turnovers. For a skilled guy with his IQ its just infuriating. I noticed that as a puck carrier he still has a moments when he mentally relaxes too much. That split second is the difference where the opposing or back checking player closes a gap on him. He is much better as a puck distributor with his quick one touch passes.
During the board battles he relies mostly on his frame, muscles and skill. He should involve also his skating like he did on Pasta's goal against Rangers.
His skating itself has been a little bit better than the previous seasons. Not much improvement on his foot work or top speed but he is able to back check better. If he could improve his first 2 steps and the edge work that would be a huge thing for him.

A couple of his quotes in an article I came across. It was posted after his first game in Philly.

"When sent again to AHL did you consider going back to Europe?"
"No, never. Not even once. I am still young and I want to play in the NHL regularly, either with Bruins or somewhere else."
"Did you watch the Winter Classic game?"
"I watched it at home. One of my goals for this season was to be with a big club by New Year's day and play at the WC game."

I am just wondering if it meant so much for Cehlarik how much that game meant for Bjork. Also not sure he will sign more than 2 year bridge deal if not traded this month.

Last edited:

Tampbear

Apr 10, 2015
Tampa
A lot to like about his game, some things not so much.

After 11 games he has 4 goals and 1 assist. I think this is the biggest change in his approach. Shooting more and getting to the open areas to score. In previous seasons he would be looking for a linemate to make a pass first. Seeing some of his goals looks like its so easy to score. Well, that's his best asset, knowing where to go and how to get there at the right moment. The last goal on PP as the perfect example, stood just behind the red line and paced his start to the Krug's rush into the o-zone, made no attempt on Krug pass and let it go to Heinen. A lot of credit to Heinen to execute Krug's idea to perfection. Before his goal he had 2 more golden opportunities, one very similar in the first period and then he was all alone in front of Delia in the second period. Also made a nice dish to Moore on PP. For a guy who was referred as not having NHL pace not so bad.

Things to like not so much. Turnovers. For a skilled guy with his IQ its just infuriating. I noticed that as a puck carrier he still has a moments when he mentally relaxes too much. That split second is the difference where the opposing or back checking player closes a gap on him. He is much better as a puck distributor with his quick one touch passes.
During the board battles he relies mostly on his frame, muscles and skill. He should involve also his skating like he did on Pasta's goal against Rangers.
His skating itself has been a little bit better than the previous seasons. Not much improvement on his foot work or top speed but he is able to back check better. If he could improve his first 2 steps and the edge work that would be a huge thing for him.

A couple of his quotes in an article I came across. It was posted after his first game in Philly.

"When sent again to AHL did you consider going back to Europe?"
"No, never. Not even once. I am still young and I want to play in the NHL regularly, either with Bruins or somewhere else."
"Did you watch the Winter Classic game?"
"I watched it at home. One of my goals for this season was to be with a big club by New Year's day and play at the WC game."

I am just wondering if it meant so much for Cehlarik how much that game meant for Bjork. Also not sure he will sign more than 2 year bridge deal if not traded this month.
A bridge deal would be perfect for him here or not he hasn't proven enough of anything for more.

Dr Hook

It’s Called Ruins
Sponsor
Mar 9, 2005
Tyler, TX
A bridge deal would be perfect for him here or not he hasn't proven enough of anything for more.

I think he's earned a bridge deal, and probably wouldn't be looking for better than that at this stage. He is getting better, bit by bit. Tonight Bruce left him out there near the end whereas in the last game he benched him in the last few minutes. I think he's a legit NHL player, top-6 potential. He just needs some experience and to clean up his game a bit. He has such great hands and vision, at least once a game he makes a play that you drool over.

Ad

Upcoming events

Ad

Ad

-->