Rumor: Petan on the market?

thewave

Jun 17, 2011
I still get a vibe from his game that there's a future full time NHLer there.

I'd try to sell to this player that you haven't given up on him, that a demotion is simply a numbers' thing and that he's the first player to be recalled when injuries strike. Contrary to some views, he's better than pretty much every forward on the Marlies right now.

I thought the same .. In Jr and then he got older and older and older and it never happened. Now? What I he worth? Dubas special (7th)

ACC1224

Super Elite, Passing ALL Tests since 2002
Aug 19, 2002
how do you put someone on the block that would clear waivers
The hope is someone may be interested and feel a late round pick is a small price to ensure you get the player.
I don't see the harm in it.

Reactions: Ciao

Buds17

Nov 29, 2015
I somewhat wish there would be a spot(s) on the team for Petan (and Agostino), but that is partly based on contract, in addition to skill set. "Problem" of course being, I can't think of a forward to bump from a fully healthy group to accommodate that.

The Iceman

Sep 22, 2007
Passed through waivers which = free wallet

Unless the landscape has changed there is zero chance a team gives up an asset to acquire him (Landscape changing could be losing Rantanen and Gabriel Lang from the top 6 to injury)

Last edited:

HoweHullOrr

Oct 3, 2013
FYI..

In case not everyone is aware but TSN Thats Hockey last week had a full report on Petan..

Last year Nic Petan's father committed suicide.. It was shockingly unexpected and a real tragedy for the family and it has derailed Petan career and life as he struggles to overcome the loss.

September 18th, 2018, twenty-four year old forward Nic Petan was attending training camp for the Winnipeg Jets. During the camp to prepare for the 18-19 season, Petan received the worst news. He learned his father Franc had died by suicide. As the reality of this horrific incident set in, the young forward shut down. Needing time on his own to process the weight of this event, he moved away.

" I didn't know what to do", Petan revealed to Rick Westhead, "I just felt like I needed some time to process it... I still can't process it so..."

Petan, who did return for some ice time in the 18-19 season, saw only 13 games by the trade deadline. He was traded to the Toronto Maple Leafs on February 25, 2019. Less than a month later, the young forward signed a two-year extension with the Leafs.

It seems as though Petan was finding a fresh start in Toronto, however the anguish of losing his father to mental illness was still very fresh. This past summer, he and his brother Alex raised money for the Franc Petan charity, which helps those suffering from mental illness. Nic and his family also opened up about their grief through the heartfelt TSN Original - 'Franc'. A must see piece, in which the Petan family creates a legacy and pays tribute to their beloved Franc.

Anyone interested can see the video here as a TSN exclusive. https://www.tsn.ca/tsn-originals/video/tsn-original-franc~1810196

Thanks for sharing/posting this.

DarkKnight

Professional Amateur
Jan 17, 2017
Lindholm is a solid player. He doesn't produce much offensively, but he's good in his own zone and can keep up with the play. He would have been more beneficial to the team in the playoffs than Petan was.
Nah. He was just brutal on the PK, literally a passive pylon. I really can’t think of anything he brought to the team. Respectfully disagree.

Reactions: IPS and Morgs

McSnypsky

Jun 22, 2019
Sorry can't remember where I heard it might have been HNIC but the gist of it was if the Leafs couldn't fit him in Dubas was going to try to trade him so he could get to play...

Fogelhund

Sep 15, 2007
Passed through waivers which = free wallet

Unless the landscape has changed there is zero chnce a team gives up an asset to acquire him (Like losing Rantanen and Gabriel Lang from the top 6 to injury)

If he's moved, it's more probable that it's a trade, than waiver claim. It isn't that his return is going to be great... in all probability it would be a contract for a contract type deal. Or even a contract for a future pick, with the conditions being unobtainable...

Moving him, is more about doing a favour for him, than improving the team.

LeafsOHLRangers98

Jun 13, 2017
We should send him down and get him playing in games if we want to trade him. Could put him at center with Kossila and Brooks still out for the Marlies and be a big boost for them offensively.

TheGoldenJet

Apr 2, 2008
Coquitlam, BC
You're right. I don't think they'll fret about Petan either way. Someone might need a depth forward at the AHL level and offer up a 7th and they know he won't need to go through waivers again.

Other then that, he's gone no matter what once Tavares and Hyman are healthy...provided Muzzin isn't now going on LTR.

Can anyone confirm when this “waiver clock” expires, meaning when Petan would have to go back on waivers in order to be sent down?

Petan would be a nice add to the Marlies if anything.

Gabriel426

Jun 30, 2015
Nic is a very strong person. I really wish we find a team for him in which he is given a fair chance. With Babcock he is not going to get one here and this can potentially be very harmful. I wish Babcock was different, but this is the truth. :(
Where can Babs fit him in?
The only spot is Shore but Shore is a typical 4th liner. And quite frankly, I think Shore fits the team better as a 4th liner than Petan.

Reactions: Rogue Leader

Gabriel426

Jun 30, 2015
Lindholm sucked in Toronto but surprise surprise looks like an industrious checker on Boston.

Petan looks like a roller hockey player.
Either Lindholm realizes what he had to do to be in the NHL or Babs had no idea how to coach

mouser

Business of Hockey
Jul 13, 2006
South Mountain
Can anyone confirm when this “waiver clock” expires, meaning when Petan would have to go back on waivers in order to be sent down?

Petan would be a nice add to the Marlies if anything.

Petan has been on the Leafs roster for 27 of the 28 days so far this season. Once he hits 30 days on the roster he has to go through waivers again before being sent to the AHL.

So unless he’s sent down beforehand, waiver exemption will expire on Saturday at 5pm EST.

Reactions: TheGoldenJet

Ad

Upcoming events

Ad

Ad