Rumor: Petan on the market?

WTFMAN99

Jun 17, 2009
Rumour is Petan wants out. Is Dubie trying to trade him? Is there any takers for him? Can he fetch a pick? or is he a giveaway waiver claim when Hyman back?

It's been out there since like last Saturday he is on the block.

If Hyman returns and we haven't been able to trade down he'd simply be re-assigned as he's already cleared waivers. I think we max out at like 21 players on the roster if we're 100% healthy.

JT AM da real deal

Oct 4, 2018

If Hyman returns and we haven't been able to trade down he'd simply be re-assigned as he's already cleared waivers. I think we max out at like 21 players on the roster if we're 100% healthy.
Oh ok I was away for a couple weeks on anniversary vacation. So only heard last night that Petan wanted out.

Reactions: WTFMAN99

Mess

Global Moderator
Feb 27, 2002
Leafs Home Board

Just a heads up but that there is a time clock on that "cleared waivers" tag .

I believe without actually looking it up in the CBA officially, that its 1 calendar month and/or 12 games played at which point that player would again be needed to be placed on waivers first to go up and down freely.

Not that it matters much in this case if it happens here as if he were lost of waivers it wouldn't matter much as I can't imagine there will be much interest in trade.

WTFMAN99

Jun 17, 2009
Just a heads up that there is a time clock on that "cleared waivers" tag .

I believe without actually looking it up in the CBA, that its 1 calendar month or 12 games played at which point that player would again be needed to be placed on waivers first to go up and down freely.

Not that it matters much in this case if it happens here as if he were lost of waivers it wouldn't matter much as I can't imagine there will be much interest in trade.

You're right. I don't think they'll fret about Petan either way. Someone might need a depth forward at the AHL level and offer up a 7th and they know he won't need to go through waivers again.

Other then that, he's gone no matter what once Tavares and Hyman are healthy...provided Muzzin isn't now going on LTR.

Mess

Global Moderator
Feb 27, 2002
Leafs Home Board
FYI..

In case not everyone is aware but TSN Thats Hockey last week had a full report on Petan..

Last year Nic Petan's father committed suicide.. It was shockingly unexpected and a real tragedy for the family and it has derailed Petan career and life as he struggles to overcome the loss.

September 18th, 2018, twenty-four year old forward Nic Petan was attending training camp for the Winnipeg Jets. During the camp to prepare for the 18-19 season, Petan received the worst news. He learned his father Franc had died by suicide. As the reality of this horrific incident set in, the young forward shut down. Needing time on his own to process the weight of this event, he moved away.

" I didn't know what to do", Petan revealed to Rick Westhead, "I just felt like I needed some time to process it... I still can't process it so..."

Petan, who did return for some ice time in the 18-19 season, saw only 13 games by the trade deadline. He was traded to the Toronto Maple Leafs on February 25, 2019. Less than a month later, the young forward signed a two-year extension with the Leafs.

It seems as though Petan was finding a fresh start in Toronto, however the anguish of losing his father to mental illness was still very fresh. This past summer, he and his brother Alex raised money for the Franc Petan charity, which helps those suffering from mental illness. Nic and his family also opened up about their grief through the heartfelt TSN Original - 'Franc'. A must see piece, in which the Petan family creates a legacy and pays tribute to their beloved Franc.

Anyone interested can see the video here as a TSN exclusive. https://www.tsn.ca/tsn-originals/video/tsn-original-franc~1810196

Last edited:
Reactions: HamiltonNHL

deletethis

Mar 17, 2015
Toronto
I still get a vibe from his game that there's a future full time NHLer there.

I'd try to sell to this player that you haven't given up on him, that a demotion is simply a numbers' thing and that he's the first player to be recalled when injuries strike. Contrary to some views, he's better than pretty much every forward on the Marlies right now.

Kiwi

Mar 5, 2016
The Naki
I'd give him away for free to a good home

He's "just a guy" and like any "just a guy" I'm more than happy to see him go somewhere else to get an opportunity to advance his career

Gabriel426

Jun 30, 2015
Petan can play but there are just too many similar players like him on the Leafs. Moore and Tima are more physical than him, AJ, Willie and Marner are more talented. If he is build like Soup, 100% sure he would be playing with his skills.

Reactions: JT AM da real deal

Rogue Leader

Oct 12, 2019
Corellia
Nic is a very strong person. I really wish we find a team for him in which he is given a fair chance. With Babcock he is not going to get one here and this can potentially be very harmful. I wish Babcock was different, but this is the truth. :(

deletethis

Mar 17, 2015
Toronto
Do each of the 20 Hymans get a Matthews or Tavares to play with :sarcasm:

There's a lot of assumption there.

On the other hand it seems to have been forgotten how ugly Hyman's 20 goals were last season. 6 empty netters, about 4-5 deflections off his body or a defender. I think the 20 goals were aberration. He's going to be closer to 10 than 20 for the balance of his career while being a useful player.

Reactions: LeafingTheWay

Zizzzzy

Dec 6, 2017
Rumour is Petan wants out. Is Dubie trying to trade him? Is there any takers for him? Can he fetch a pick? or is he a giveaway waiver claim when Hyman back?

FYI..

In case not everyone is aware but TSN Thats Hockey last week had a full report on Petan..

Petan hadn't been in a game for a while. Rumor came out that Leafs were shopping him. That HNIC they put him in the line up and they ran the feel good story on him. Don't think he has played since?

Definitely perfectly aligned timing.

Ad

Upcoming events

Ad

Ad