News Article: Petan "on outside looking in"

Daximus

Wow, what a terrific audience.
Sponsor
Oct 11, 2014
Five Hills
I think this coming season may be the last chance he has to leave an impression and make the team full time. Especially if others are moved out. This summer is huge for Petan's development and this training camp will be huge for the impression he leaves on our coaching staff. He needs to take over at a position or he will definitely be on the outside looking in. I could definitely see him requesting a trade, which I would not blame him for, if he can't crack the roster. There are plenty of weaker teams in this league that will give him a shot but we are unlikely to get anything of value for him. It's the kind of trade that could easily have us looking really bad if he breaks out but in the end it might be best for him.

Mortimer Snerd

You kids get off my lawn!
Sponsor
Jun 10, 2014
He has 12 even strength points in 3 years. Not much there crown him a "Stud!" when playing with skilled players.

How much of that time was played with skilled players? How many of those 12 points came during that very short time? Who called him a stud?

Daximus

Sponsor
Oct 11, 2014
Five Hills
I do hope Petan gets a chance to play between Ehlers and Laine is we can't bring Stats back in TC. That is really the only place I can envision him fitting into the top 9.

Reactions: Flair Hay

ffh

Jul 16, 2016
I do hope Petan gets a chance to play between Ehlers and Laine is we can't bring Stats back in TC. That is really the only place I can envision him fitting into the top 9.
Without a doubt the worst defensive line in NHL history. Stastny and little couldn't defend hard enough to cover for those 2 and now we are supposed to put a worse defender then ehlers and Laine with them as their Centre. Nic needs more time on the moose. Sign him to a 2 way contract and send him down. No team will take him. If they do claim him back when they send him down cause he is still not ready for the NHL.

Daximus

Sponsor
Oct 11, 2014
Five Hills
Without a doubt the worst defensive line in NHL history. Stastny and little couldn't defend hard enough to cover for those 2 and now we are supposed to put a worse defender then ehlers and Laine with them as their Centre. Nic needs more time on the moose. Sign him to a 2 way contract and send him down. No team will take him. If they do claim him back when they send him down cause he is still not ready for the NHL.

He will likely get taken. There is zero doubt in my mind about that. If I was a GM of a team at the bottom like Arizona, Detroit or Vancouver I would claim him in a heartbeat, plus unless you think we will be a bottom feeder this year I think it's unlikely we get a shot at ever claiming him again unless he busts which at that point, what is the point?

Jimby

Reformed Optimist
Nov 5, 2013
Winnipeg
The time when Petan played with skilled players (that is, when he played with Wheeler) occurred in the 2016 - 2017 season.

As I recall that was when we first saw Wheeler play centre because Petan was deemed to be too small to centre the line. Petan played in 54 games that season and he had 1 goal (assisted by Dano) and 4 assists during that time (even strength). One of those assists was on a Wheeler goal during the 139.06 minutes they played together at even strength. This time with Wheeler and his one assist is what indicated he should be a top 6 player apparently.

As with Mathias this year, actual points are required to earn a spot.

How much of that time was played with skilled players? How many of those 12 points came during that very short time? Who called him a stud?

Reactions: Mortimer Snerd

ffh

Jul 16, 2016
He will likely get taken. There is zero doubt in my mind about that. If I was a GM of a team at the bottom like Arizona, Detroit or Vancouver I would claim him in a heartbeat, plus unless you think we will be a bottom feeder this year I think it's unlikely we get a shot at ever claiming him again unless he busts which at that point, what is the point?
I could be wrong but we would get 1st shot at him if a team that claims him decides to send him to the ahl. I don't think he can play in NHL and putting him in press box like some say is doing him a disservice. Pb players should be good enough to play in NHL. Vancouver because the sundins retired would be the only team that might take him. Us signing him and keeping him in Pb is a bad idea. He needs to play Alot and that's in the ahl.

winnipegger

Dec 17, 2013
Any team hurting for prospects would take him. Vancouver, Edmonton, Montreal come to mind. Plenty of teams.

Reactions: surixon

ffh

Jul 16, 2016
Any team hurting for prospects would take him. Vancouver, Edmonton, Montreal come to mind. Plenty of teams.
I think the people arguing for petan are saying he is not a prospect but can play in the league right now. I doubt it. If the jets qualify him I doubt he gets a 1 way contract.

Mortimer Snerd

You kids get off my lawn!
Sponsor
Jun 10, 2014
The time when Petan played with skilled players (that is, when he played with Wheeler) occurred in the 2016 - 2017 season.

As I recall that was when we first saw Wheeler play centre because Petan was deemed to be too small to centre the line. Petan played in 54 games that season and he had 1 goal (assisted by Dano) and 4 assists during that time (even strength). One of those assists was on a Wheeler goal during the 139.06 minutes they played together at even strength. This time with Wheeler and his one assist is what indicated he should be a top 6 player apparently.

Thought he had produced better with Wheels.

The narrative that he must be top 6 though is a strawman. He needs to play with better than Thor. I`d like to see him with Roslo and Armia. If he still can`t do the job then the argument that he hasn`t had a chance can die.

surixon

Jul 12, 2003
Winnipeg

In the first 13 games he played in the 2016-17 season before he got injured he got good ice time with solid players and produced the following:

Averaged 15:28 minutes per game (Good minutes)
Produced 7 points (44 point pace or solid 2nd line scoring rates) It was also good enough for 5th on the team during that time behind, Chef, Laine, Ehlers and Wheeler.
Had a CF% of 53.58 which was good enough for second on the team during that period.

That to me looks like a pretty solid performance by him in the limited time he got decent minutes and line mates. So to recap, he produced a solid second line rates while receiving second line minutes. He also tilted the ice into the offensive zone when he got those minutes.

I see his performance during that sample of justifying more of chance then he got after that.

Jimby

Reformed Optimist
Nov 5, 2013
Winnipeg
Call me a nit picker but I count 1 goal and 2 assists at even strength in those 13 games.

I have no problem with Petan being given another chance this year as I think he's earned it. I don't agree that he wasn't given chances before however.

In the first 13 games he played in the 2016-17 season before he got injured he got good ice time with solid players and produced the following:

Averaged 15:28 minutes per game (Good minutes)
Produced 7 points (44 point pace or solid 2nd line scoring rates) It was also good enough for 5th on the team during that time behind, Chef, Laine, Ehlers and Wheeler.
Had a CF% of 53.58 which was good enough for second on the team during that period.

That to me looks like a pretty solid performance by him in the limited time he got decent minutes and line mates. So to recap, he produced a solid second line rates while receiving second line minutes. He also tilted the ice into the offensive zone when he got those minutes.

I see his performance during that sample of justifying more of chance then he got after that.

surixon

Jul 12, 2003
Winnipeg
Call me a nit picker but I count 1 goal and 2 assists at even strength in those 13 games.

I have no problem with Petan being given another chance this year as I think he's earned it. I don't agree that he wasn't given chances before however.

Yes he only had 3 ES points but was excellent on the PP. A point is a point at the end of the day.

Simply put he produced points at a second line rate in all situations during that stretch while not being a liability at ES.

Given our cap crunch we need good cheap middle six pieces that can bring specialized skill sets. If he can up his ES production while continuing to be a positive possession player then he can be good value in the middle six for around league minimum. Add to that his elite vision and play on the PP and he can hopefully be a key piece in getting our second unit functioning at a high level.

Reactions: Bastage

The Finnisher

Jun 4, 2018
Transcona

This is my take as well. Worst case scenario if he doesn’t work out the Jets juggle little, roslo and copp in the 2-3C spots and try to upgrade at the trade deadline.

surixon

Jul 12, 2003
Winnipeg
This is my take as well. Worst case scenario if he doesn’t work out the Jets juggle little, roslo and copp in the 2-3C spots and try to upgrade at the trade deadline.

I just don't understand why we need to play Ehlers and Laine together on a line. Ehlers works with Little with the other player being a solid fore-checker.

Put Laine with Chef and Wheeler with Little and the problem is solved.

Reactions: sipowicz

Daximus

Sponsor
Oct 11, 2014
Five Hills
I just don't understand why we need to play Ehlers and Laine together on a line. Ehlers works with Little with the other player being a solid fore-checker.

Put Laine with Chef and Wheeler with Little and the problem is solved.

Once Laine can prove to be able to receive a pass on his off wing. He'll be there full time.

Jimby

Reformed Optimist
Nov 5, 2013
Winnipeg
Petan's performance in the Calder Cup Playoffs may impact how the Jets view him. He was 7th on the team in scoring during the playoffs. Surprisingly DeLeo was #1. As another small guy DeLeo plays tougher than Petan does.

Reactions: sipowicz

Daximus

Sponsor
Oct 11, 2014
Five Hills
When has he proven that he can't? He played LW in Finland, that's where he should play here.

Different game. He has issues with board play on his off wing. When he proves he can adapt to the other side at the NHL level he will be there. It's something that a lot of young players have issues with. He struggles heavily with pucks on his off wing on the PP. It's not the one timers it's the passes along the boards that he has issues picking on his off wing. 5v5 he'll have even more pressure and less time to pick those pucks. We need someone there that can keep a cycle going. He's much better at it on the RW for now. We'll see what happens come TC.

Reactions: Laine Fan

sipowicz

The thrill is gone
Mar 16, 2011
Petan's performance in the Calder Cup Playoffs may impact how the Jets view him. He was 7th on the team in scoring during the playoffs. Surprisingly DeLeo was #1. As another small guy DeLeo plays tougher than Petan does.

And DeLeo is really really small, his size will prevent him from ever playing in the NHL

Maukkis

EZ4ENCE
Mar 16, 2016
I think his value is around Tomas Jurco's who net a 3rd round pick (pick 88) at the TDL in 2017. I think if the Jets really like a player in the 2nd they'll use Petan+59th to move up
Frank Vatrano: 77th/18
Tomas Jurco: 88th/17
Mirco Mueller (+143rd/17): 49th/17 + 123rd/17
Curtis Lazar: 47th/17
Tony DeAngelo: 37th/16
Beau Bennett: 77th/16
Eric Gelinas: 63rd/17
Shane Prince: 80th/16

I tried to look up a bunch of young fringe NHLers who were considered to have some upside and who were close to what Petan is now at the times of their trades. These eight seem to fit the bill somewhat well.

Observations: the pedigree of a first round prospect seems to help. To the surprise of nobody, defense is always at a premium.

I see no reason as to why we would not be able to get a third rounder for him. If somebody sees him as a center in the NHL, maybe we could get a second.

Reactions: MrBoJangelz71

DeepFrickinValue

Formally Ruffus
May 14, 2015
Bidding war for petan as soinds like a few teams willing to roll dice? Perhaps 2nd and a late roind pick or conditional pick.

Ad

Upcoming events

Ad

Ad

-->