News Article: Petan "on outside looking in"

winnipegger

Dec 17, 2013
I hope Petan is given an opportunity at training camp. One more kick at the can before moving on from him. He is talented and smart, only question is the physical side of things. Which happens to be a rather large question.

KingBogo

Admitted Homer
Nov 29, 2011
Winnipeg
I'd put Petan's value somewhere between his harshest critics and some of those who believe he is a top 6 player just given the opportunity. The Jets ended the season with 12 roster players 25 y/o or younger that played regularly. Somehow they all managed to develop with often inconsistent usage, time on the 4th line with plugs or PB duty or trips to the Moose. It is really only Laine with his draft pedigree that was slotted in the top 6 with #1 PP duty from day 1 as an 18 y/o, and even then some of our Finnish fans would argue he suffered through the great burden of having Little as is center. It is the NHL and you have to fill out a roster, not every player gets a cherry picked spot with optimum usage to develop. Most players have to fight and claw and show the best of what they have to offer no matter what the usage. Petan has failed to do that. IMO he has shown enough to hold onto, but now after his ELC has been played out he is no longer a prospect. He is a depth player, that will need to be effective no matter what situation he is placed into, or he will soon be making a career in lower leagues.

Reactions: Arthur Fonzarelli

surixon

Jul 12, 2003
Winnipeg
I'd put Petan's value somewhere between his harshest critics and some of those who believe he is a top 6 player just given the opportunity. The Jets ended the season with 12 roster players 25 y/o or younger that played regularly. Somehow they all managed to develop with often inconsistent usage, time on the 4th line with plugs or PB duty or trips to the Moose. It is really only Laine with his draft pedigree that was slotted in the top 6 with #1 PP duty from day 1 as an 18 y/o, and even then some of our Finnish fans would argue he suffered through the great burden of having Little as is center. It is the NHL and you have to fill out a roster, not every player gets a cherry picked spot with optimum usage to develop. Most players have to fight and claw and show the best of what they have to offer no matter what the usage. Petan has failed to do that. IMO he has shown enough to hold onto, but now after his ELC has been played out he is no longer a prospect. He is a depth player, that will need to be effective no matter what situation he is placed into, or he will soon be making a career in lower leagues.

Bogo, I usually agree with you but have our kids really been jerked around near as much?

Morrissey, started with Buff as a top 4 dmen and moved up to the first pairing the year after with Trouba. No time whatsoever in the bottom pairing although was asked to carry some weaker partners at times during injuries.

Ehlers started with Chef and Perrault as a 19 year old rookie. He did spend some time with Thor and unsurprisingly produced absolutely nothing during that time. He was then moved back up and has essentially been on the top 6 since.

Conner: Started on the third line with Perrault and Armia as a rookie. Eventually got moved down to the 4th line and produced nothing with dregs and got sent down. When he made the team again full time it was on the top line and he stayed there pretty much all year.

Roslovic is really the one exception but the org gave him plenty of time in the minors before bringing him up. They also moved him up the line up fairly quickly when he was playing well.

Petan has predominantly played on the 4th line with limited time in the top 6. Pretty much the complete opposite of all of our younger players who where given a much greater push in the top 6 with very limited time on the 4th line.

I am not saying he is as good as any of the above but Petan hasn't been treated the same by Maurice and has not been given anywhere near the opportunities as some of the above to find their footing.

Reactions: Bastage

KingBogo

Admitted Homer
Nov 29, 2011
Winnipeg
Bogo, I usually agree with you but have our kids really been jerked around near as much?

Morrissey, started with Buff as a top 4 dmen and moved up to the first pairing the year after with Trouba. No time whatsoever in the bottom pairing although was asked to carry some weaker partners at times during injuries.

Ehlers started with Chef and Perrault as a 19 year old rookie. He did spend some time with Thor and unsurprisingly produced absolutely nothing during that time. He was then moved back up and has essentially been on the top 6 since.

Conner: Started on the third line with Perrault and Armia as a rookie. Eventually got moved down to the 4th line and produced nothing with dregs and got sent down. When he made the team again full time it was on the top line and he stayed there pretty much all year.

Roslovic is really the one exception but the org gave him plenty of time in the minors before bringing him up. They also moved him up the line up fairly quickly when he was playing well.

Petan has predominantly played on the 4th line with limited time in the top 6. Pretty much the complete opposite of all of our younger players who where given a much greater push in the top 6 with very limited time on the 4th line.

I am not saying he is as good as any of the above but Petan hasn't been treated the same by Maurice and has not been given anywhere near the opportunities as some of the above to find their footing.
I think you nailed it with your last line. Petan isn't as good as those above. His usage as been approx what Lemieux has got, who was drafted higher and even better than Dano's who was drafter higher than both. Armia was also buried for a time, Copp had a tough spell and back to the minors at one point. I guess I've never really put Petan up there with the high end 1st round picks that have excelled for us. Rather I have saw him more of a mid 2nd round flyer that maybe overcomes his limitations and becomes an effective everyday player, but likely not so I have never really become that attached. I'd be happy to recoup draft position and take another shot.

surixon

Jul 12, 2003
Winnipeg
I think you nailed it with your last line. Petan isn't as good as those above. His usage as been approx what Lemieux has got, who was drafted higher and even better than Dano's who was drafter higher than both. Armia was also buried for a time, Copp had a tough spell and back to the minors at one point. I guess I've never really put Petan up there with the high end 1st round picks that have excelled for us. Rather I have saw him more of a mid 2nd round flyer that maybe overcomes his limitations and becomes an effective everyday player, but likely not so I have never really become that attached. I'd be happy to recoup draft position and take another shot.

I also don't believe he is in the same caliber of prospect due more to physical gifts then talent and smarts (Both of which are at an elite level) which is why he likely didn't get the same opportunities but he was very rarely put in a position to succeed while up here all things considered. The few times he was he actually performed fairly well (His underlying stats while with Wheeler in year two where very good, he also produced at 2nd line rates at the time. His PP production was quite solid given his limited minutes as well). Maybe it is the one game where he, Chef and Wheeler tormented Vancouver a couple of seasons ago but I think the kid has the goods to play and contribute. I think like a Marchessault or a Perrault he will find his way there eventually, it might not be with us but I think he does. Dano has also not been put in a position to succeed either but that is another topic for another day. While I generally am quite happy with how Maurice has developed our kids he most certainly has had his missteps and failings with a couple of players (After all no one is perfect).

I think the org should have left him in the AHL instead of burying him on the 4th. You bring up Armia but he spent his first two and a quarter years as a pro in NA entirely in the AHL building a foundation. He made the NHL full time at an age not so much younger than Petan is now and it was really only this past season at age 24 that he morphed into a legit all around 3rd line winger. Sometimes I think people underestimate just how long it can take for most players to stick. Heck Poolman is 24 and was in and out and yet people still have some decent expectations. I think the org is a bit more patient then us fans, they have always been high on the kid and perhaps as a result wanted him in the NHL before they where ready because of this. I think there was a clear turning point in his game last year where it seemed the physical aspect caught up to the talent. He was moving his feet, winning races and battles with high frequency. Sometimes all a talented player needs is time for him to grow physically to the point where his skill can now be displayed properly. We all saw that with Chef who made huge strides forward once he grew into his body around age 23 (Not saying Petan will ever be comparable to Chef, just making a point of pointing out when the leap occurred in his game)

I think Petan is at a point now where he can play and contribute on a third scoring line while not being a liability in his end and also being a plus fore checker. I feel there will potentially be an opportunity for him in such a role this upcoming season if the Jets have to move Perrault for cap purposes (They will have to move either Perrault or Myers to make room and I think we are in agreement that the org likely will keep Myers). That is after all how it appears that they are grooming him now. Given the talent and the system we where running last year, the team wants to deploy three scoring lines and the Lowry checking unit so there is a spot for him to win if they make the changes I think they will.

Gabe Kupari

Jul 11, 2013
Winter is Coming

He hasnt been given the same opportunities? He has.. Hes just done little with it. Its about time ppl just accept Petan isnt good enough. Will he be 1 day? Maybe but the odds arent in his favor. Easily the most over rated player we have as ppl still think hes this dominant juinor player... When in reality hes a fringe nhl player.

ffh

Jul 16, 2016
Petan’s only real issue is the Jets are a team with 8+ top 6 NHL forwards.
possibly other than Vancouver and only because the sundin's retired what other team could he play on the top 6. none.

redneckjabronie

Nov 17, 2015
I also don't believe he is in the same caliber of prospect due more to physical gifts then talent and smarts (Both of which are at an elite level) which is why he likely didn't get the same opportunities but he was very rarely put in a position to succeed while up here all things considered. The few times he was he actually performed fairly well (His underlying stats while with Wheeler in year two where very good, he also produced at 2nd line rates at the time. His PP production was quite solid given his limited minutes as well). Maybe it is the one game where he, Chef and Wheeler tormented Vancouver a couple of seasons ago but I think the kid has the goods to play and contribute. I think like a Marchessault or a Perrault he will find his way there eventually, it might not be with us but I think he does. Dano has also not been put in a position to succeed either but that is another topic for another day. While I generally am quite happy with how Maurice has developed our kids he most certainly has had his missteps and failings with a couple of players (After all no one is perfect).

I think the org should have left him in the AHL instead of burying him on the 4th. You bring up Armia but he spent his first two and a quarter years as a pro in NA entirely in the AHL building a foundation. He made the NHL full time at an age not so much younger than Petan is now and it was really only this past season at age 24 that he morphed into a legit all around 3rd line winger. Sometimes I think people underestimate just how long it can take for most players to stick. Heck Poolman is 24 and was in and out and yet people still have some decent expectations. I think the org is a bit more patient then us fans, they have always been high on the kid and perhaps as a result wanted him in the NHL before they where ready because of this. I think there was a clear turning point in his game last year where it seemed the physical aspect caught up to the talent. He was moving his feet, winning races and battles with high frequency. Sometimes all a talented player needs is time for him to grow physically to the point where his skill can now be displayed properly. We all saw that with Chef who made huge strides forward once he grew into his body around age 23 (Not saying Petan will ever be comparable to Chef, just making a point of pointing out when the leap occurred in his game)

I think Petan is at a point now where he can play and contribute on a third scoring line while not being a liability in his end and also being a plus fore checker. I feel there will potentially be an opportunity for him in such a role this upcoming season if the Jets have to move Perrault for cap purposes (They will have to move either Perrault or Myers to make room and I think we are in agreement that the org likely will keep Myers). That is after all how it appears that they are grooming him now. Given the talent and the system we where running last year, the team wants to deploy three scoring lines and the Lowry checking unit so there is a spot for him to win if they make the changes I think they will.

Your assessment is bang on. Petan has a lot of haters around here for whatever reason who fail to see how he has been managed overall since 2015. He wasn't ready in 2015 to start, was sent down which was good, and came back a different player at the end of the year. 2016-17 is when he was horribly mismanaged by Maurice and was better off being with the Moose than in the PB this past year even though it's probably not mentally easy when you've worked your way on to the roster to start the season.

Top 6 skills, for sure, and yes, I concur he may never get into that role, at least with the Jets. A serviceable 2-way NHL player who can play a top 6 role for a short period, for sure.

We'll see if he is moved at around the draft. If the Jets don't move him and make a him a one-way QO, that likely means they have plans for him with the big club. Which means that they will likely start shuffling the deck for cap reasons. If he gets a two-way, the Jets see him as a call up and no way will he take that offer. At that point, a trade or a Europe offer are the only possibilities IMO.

ello

Jun 12, 2018
Correct me of I am wrong but didn't DeBrincat spend most of the year on one of the Hawks top two lines with skilled forwards? Opportunity plays a huge role in success. The Hawks unlike the Jets are thin on depth at wing so they could give him an opportunity to shine. Petan due to our depth has never gotten anywhere near the same one that Alex got last season.

The few times over the years that he got to play with skilled guys he looked like he belonged.
A bit of both. Hawks' fans were actually quite frustrated with Quenneville this year since he refused to give DeBrincat consistent Top 6 time. He played the majority of 5v5 on the third line with guys like Sharp, Hartman and Anisimov but did get some 4 on 4 time and played on the second unit powerplay. I wouldn't go as far to say that he was underutilized, but for the teams leading goal scorer more often then not he wasn't leaned on nearly enough for Hawks fans' liking. Even in the last game of the season in Winnipeg he was stuck playing with two rookies in Sikura and Edjsell.

DeBrincat plays for a fairly traditional coach in Q and had to earn every bit of ice time he could get. He was one of the Blackhawks better wingers from the start of preseason and as a result wound up playing in all 82 games as a rookie. I don't think Petan's ever had a training camp or a stretch of games where he's been one of the Jets' best players, and as a result he's never really forced Maurice's hand into playing him (obviously the Jet's skill on the wings allows Maurice to do this).

That being said, I still think the Jets should give Petan one more shot, and maybe give him a bit of a leash as well just to see what he can do when he doesn't have to worry about being in the press box the next game. I recall Patrick Sharp being traded from Philadelphia to Chicago because the Flyers had a "logjam" at centre and Sharp hadn't shone in the minimal ice time he had received at the NHL level.

JetsUK

Oct 1, 2015
That being said, I still think the Jets should give Petan one more shot, and maybe give him a bit of a leash as well just to see what he can do when he doesn't have to worry about being in the press box the next game. I recall Patrick Sharp being traded from Philadelphia to Chicago because the Flyers had a "logjam" at centre and Sharp hadn't shone in the minimal ice time he had received at the NHL level.

BBM. I think there's a lot of truth in this for a player like Petan (no doubt for many young players, but most definitely Petan).

jetsfaneh

Feb 15, 2015
I see no benefit for the Jets in dealing Petan right now. They would be selling low on a stock. Another team could give him ice time in the top 6 and he could produce quickly.

He was a point a game player in the AHL this year. If he played the whole year there he likely would have been a top 5 or top 10 point producer in that league. His best pro production to date. So strides have been made. Plus he has a chip on his shoulder it sounds like. Great! Bring it!

Plus...he will be cheap this year! Injuries are pretty much guaranteed for every team so he could slot into a top 6 or top 9 role early and get some PP2 time.

Did I mention him being cheap? He will be on a one way deal for little money. He is definitely worth keeping around for at least one year with the big club. And if he looks good he could be a Perreault replacement at left wing after this year at a lower cost than Matty P.

Daximus

Wow, what a terrific audience.
Sponsor
Oct 11, 2014
Five Hills
I wouldn't mind a 1 year contract as a PB injury call in for him to prove he can play. I do think he has breakout potential but every time he steps on the ice in a Jets jersey I find myself wanting more.

Jet

Free Capo!
Jul 20, 2004
Florida
People love to continually raise the strawman that poor lil Nic has been 'shafted' by the org. This organization (and yes, even big bad Paul Maurice) has shown that players who earn it get chances.

All the fancystats in the world can show Nic to be a good player and someone that belongs on an NHL roster but he has not earned it, and that is exactly why he is where he is. It's like he thinks or executes the game too slowly to make the leap to this league.

You can continually complain and blame his linemates but so many other Jets have been given the same treatment and made lemonade out of lemons. Petan hasn't done it.

I really want him to get traded so we can see him for what he really is - one of those highly skilled guys who could not transition from AHL to NHL. The list of those guys is long.

Jet

Free Capo!
Jul 20, 2004
Florida
A bit of both. Hawks' fans were actually quite frustrated with Quenneville this year since he refused to give DeBrincat consistent Top 6 time. He played the majority of 5v5 on the third line with guys like Sharp, Hartman and Anisimov but did get some 4 on 4 time and played on the second unit powerplay. I wouldn't go as far to say that he was underutilized, but for the teams leading goal scorer more often then not he wasn't leaned on nearly enough for Hawks fans' liking. Even in the last game of the season in Winnipeg he was stuck playing with two rookies in Sikura and Edjsell.

DeBrincat plays for a fairly traditional coach in Q and had to earn every bit of ice time he could get. He was one of the Blackhawks better wingers from the start of preseason and as a result wound up playing in all 82 games as a rookie. I don't think Petan's ever had a training camp or a stretch of games where he's been one of the Jets' best players, and as a result he's never really forced Maurice's hand into playing him (obviously the Jet's skill on the wings allows Maurice to do this).

I'm sorry, but if you can't be effective or produce with guys like that???

When did we get to the place where every young talent has to be coddled and played with guys like Kane, Toews, and the like to be effective? It's ridiculous.

NHL players will find a way to be NHL players no matter who they play with. Tweeners and AHL players will show themselves too when they need to be sheltered and spoon fed opportunities to be effective.

mcpw

WPG
Jan 13, 2015
You can continually complain and blame his linemates but so many other Jets have been given the same treatment and made lemonade out of lemons. Petan hasn't done it.

And for some, lemonade remains that one goal in 15 games that Ehlers-Burmistrov-Thorburn scored as a line. But I know, the opinions won't change at this point.

Jet

Free Capo!
Jul 20, 2004
Florida
And for some, lemonade remains that one goal in 15 games that Ehlers-Burmistrov-Thorburn scored as a line. But I know, the opinions won't change at this point.
And for some - focusing on one particular instance to prove their point remains sourness.

It's not purely production, it's what the player does. It's why Ehlers continued his upwards trajectory and Burmistrov was discarded.

ps241

The Ballad of Ville Bobby
Sponsor
Mar 10, 2010
It’s interesting. During the early 2.0 era we had many guys that factions of our board seemed to like but said factions felt their faves weren’t getting their shot here. Most of them flopped or did not look better when they relocated and got a second chance.

I think we might be entering a new era where we are deep enough now that legit players might not be getting their shot here and might actually be good enough to do well when they relocate (Vegas style).

Nic is a guy I could see it going either way for.

Trilliann

Tier 2 fan
May 12, 2016
Below Replacement Level
Laine started on the 3rd line with Connor and Perreault, not the 1st line.

Mortimer Snerd

You kids get off my lawn!
Sponsor
Jun 10, 2014
People love to continually raise the strawman that poor lil Nic has been 'shafted' by the org. This organization (and yes, even big bad Paul Maurice) has shown that players who earn it get chances.

All the fancystats in the world can show Nic to be a good player and someone that belongs on an NHL roster but he has not earned it, and that is exactly why he is where he is. It's like he thinks or executes the game too slowly to make the leap to this league.

I really want him to get traded so we can see him for what he really is - one of those highly skilled guys who could not transition from AHL to NHL. The list of those guys is long.

You disagreeing with an argument doesn't turn it into a strawman - even if you are right.

It isn't 'fancystats' that shows that Nic is a good player. It is his production when playing with skilled players.

I'll add another argument to the list that you probably won't like. You say he hasn't managed to transition from AHL to NHL. Well last season was really the first time he made it in the AHL so there hasn't even been an attempt at that transition yet.

I don't understand the enthusiasm for writing him off. Why must his failure to succeed at one role mean that he can never succeed at any role? I haven't seen anything to convince me that he is going to make it, but I certainly haven't seen anything to convince me that he won't either. He just turned 23. The clock is ticking but it hasn't run out.

CaptainChef

Jan 5, 2014
Bedroom Jetsville
He hasnt been given the same opportunities? He has.. Hes just done little with it. Its about time ppl just accept Petan isnt good enough. Will he be 1 day? Maybe but the odds arent in his favor. Easily the most over rated player we have as ppl still think hes this dominant juinor player... When in reality hes a fringe nhl player.
So just because you say he has been given the same opportunities, we`re to believe you. I think Surnixon went into considerable detail on how others have been given opportunities that Petan has not been given. Fully agree with his assessment & with Garret - they simply have too many top 6 players so someone has to be given the short end of the stick & its been Petan. Only Dano has been treated worse by this org. Petan will succeed someday in the NHL & will probably flourish somewhere. But unless they have plans to change his utilization here this year, it won`t happen in Wpg

Ad

Upcoming events

Ad

Ad

-->