Speculation: Petan, Nic.

voyageur

Hockey fanatic
Jul 10, 2011
Don't see nor think Petan is viewed as a C and hasn't been for a while. Think LW and you would be most likely to be accurate. He has not shown he can handle the responsibilities at C in either the NHL or AHL.

I think that's his only chance. He's not strong on the boards. Dano and Lemieux have him in that respect.

LW depth as is
1. Connor
2. Ehlers
3. Perreault
4. Tanev
5. Dano
6. Lemieux

Not sure Petan is more than 7 at LW. 8 if Vesalainen signs. Maybe 9 behind Suess.
Now Dano probably plays more on the right side. Copp is a C/RW probably.

Centre depth
1. Scheifele
2. Little
3. Lowry
4. Roslovic/Petan
5. Copp (or 4R)
6. ? (Griffith?)

For me it's centre or bust.

Whileee

May 29, 2010
I think that's his only chance. He's not strong on the boards. Dano and Lemieux have him in that respect.

LW depth as is
1. Connor
2. Ehlers
3. Perreault
4. Tanev
5. Dano
6. Lemieux

Not sure Petan is more than 7 at LW. 8 if Vesalainen signs. Maybe 9 behind Suess.

Centre depth
1. Scheifele
2. Little
3. Lowry
4. Roslovic/Petan
5. Copp (or 4R)
6. ? (Griffith?)

Tanev plays RW. Dano usually does, too. Petan is probably ahead of Lemieux on the depth chart going into preseason.

I think the F depth chart is more like...

LW

Ehlers
Connor
Perreault
Copp
Petan
Lemieux

Vesalainen is a wild card.

Ehlers might end up on RW. Laine might end up on LW.

Whileee

May 29, 2010
I havent seen him play a lot but isnt it a bit early to place Roslovic a the 2C?
I think the Jets will have very balanced lines, especially beyond Scheifele's line. It's more about role than ranking. Lowry will play a big role against other team's top lines. Little might, too. If Roslovic plays C, it will probably be in an offensive role with easier usage.

Petan beat out Connor for a roster spot at the beginning of last season (I didn't agree with the decision, but many fans did). The Jets stumbled out of the gate a bit, Connor came back from the AHL and was a star on the top line and Petan never found a groove in the lineup. I think Petan will have a very good opportunity to get on a line where he can generate offense this season. He should be stronger and faster than last season.

voyageur

Hockey fanatic
Jul 10, 2011
Tanev plays RW. Dano usually does, too. Petan is probably ahead of Lemieux on the depth chart going into preseason.

I think the F depth chart is more like...

LW

Ehlers
Connor
Perreault
Copp
Petan
Lemieux

Vesalainen is a wild card.

Ehlers might end up on RW. Laine might end up on LW.

Tanev plays LW. Did so exclusively in the playoffs. Armia, Copp and Little were the RWs in the playoffs. Ehlers has played more LW than RW. If Roslovic moves to centre, likely Dano plays RW. Petan is still a centre. No one replaced Hendricks, so that's the spot to fill.

I think Lemieux showed he belonged last year. He got more games than Petan down the stretch so I'd say Maurice has him ahead. Petan isn't fast enough or strong enough for wing. Centre is his ideal position because he is still cerebral with the puck.

Peggy

Aug 6, 2016
Winnipeg doesn't have a lot of depth at centre, though boasting a top scorer, and elite shut down centre.

Petan is insurance, needs a break through offensively to be anything more. Should get some playing time, 2nd PP duties with the Jets, with injuries.

I see him as a perfect fit for Vancouver, with Travis Green as their coach and former junior teammates Leipsic and Pouliot on the team.

Winnipeg has enough depth where petan has no room to play

Scheifele
Little
Lowry
And if you're considering roslovic

kittiecarlyle

Nov 1, 2016

LW depth as is
1. Connor
2. Ehlers
3. Perreault
4. Tanev
5. Dano
6. Lemieux

Centre depth
1. Scheifele
2. Little
3. Lowry
4. Roslovic/Petan
5. Copp (or 4R)
6. ? (Griffith?)

As pointed out Tanev is a RW, he can and has played LW but has been predominately a RW in Winnipeg. He is one of few wingers Maurice will easily flip sides with but with losing Armia and the chance Roslovic moves from RW to C you can't pencil in Tanev on the left side.

He has deficiencies along the wall but he also has some at C. Easier to mask on the wing.

To succeed in the NHL he needs to have the right situation and opportunity plus he needs to play with more pace than he has in the past. The Jets can provide him the opportunity but he has a lot of competition so it is imperative that he prepared properly this off season and show it on the ice.

Oh and he better be planning on showing that at LW.

Last edited:
Jun 15, 2013
Winnipeg
What goes on? He signed a 1 year deal, two-way but he no longer is waiver exempt and obviously would not pass through waivers. It seems he's blocked in the 'peg. Won't get a shot with how loaded WPG is and too good for the American league.

He needs a shot to play in the top6 somewhere. WPG isn't gonna lose him on the waiver wire are they?

He's excellent on the PP, I'd say EDM should kick the tires. They could use a boost on the PP and to their depth, he could get a chance there and perhaps shine with a bigger role.

What do you think? What is his trade value? A mid round pick or something....?

Pretty sure Petan fits into their plan this season. It's thought by many the Jets barring injuries will run a 13-8-2 lineup.

Connor-Scheifele-Wheeler
Ehlers-Little-Laine
Copp-Lowry-Tanev
Perreault-Roslovic-Petan/Dano

Morrissey-Trouba
Chiarot-Byfulien
Kulikov-Myers
Morrow-Poolman

Hellebuyck
Brossoit

The only main candidate pushing for a roster spot is Niku and would be penciled into the above were waivers not a factor at LD.

It's possible Niku makes the team & Poolman, who is waiver exempt plays in the A and the Jets go with two left shootings defenders in the press box.

Even though this last bit may appear off topic, it solidifies the reasoning for a 13-8-2 lineup. With a single forward roster spot available the only candidates are Brendan Lemieux & Mason Appleton. Both are waiver exempt but more importantly can't overtake anyone on the bottom 6 anyways unless they had a monster camp. The only other option is Kristian Vesalainen, but he's yet to sign a contract. He's never playing a game in North America, so once he does sign will likely start in the A as well.

So Petan should have nothing to worry about. Both he & Dano are virtual locks to make the team. I guess a trade is possible, but leaving the roster as is provides the team depth once injuries occur. Having Lemieux, Appleton & K-Ves as potential forward call-ups & Niku/Poolman as defensive call-ups is a great situation to be in.

Last edited:
Reactions: Filthy Dangles

10Ducky10

HFBoards Sponsor
Sponsor
Jul 5, 2015
How much center did Petan play for the Moose last season.

I see him as a LWer (when not riding the pine) on the Jets unless mega centermen go down.

Filthy Dangles

Registered User*
Oct 23, 2014
How much center did Petan play for the Moose last season.

I see him as a LWer (when not riding the pine) on the Jets unless mega centermen go down.

Having watched him play at a few levels over the years, Petan and his game are not built for center in the NHL. He's a small guy who isn't fast or quick. He's so far down on the depth chart as a center he would never be dressed as one in the peg.

Reactions: 10Ducky10

jetsforever

Dec 14, 2013
I don't want to trade him right now since his value is really low
Hopefully he gets time in the top-9 (or at least after injuries)
I think they'll keep him on the team for now - definitely not lose him to waivers

Reactions: 10Ducky10

voyageur

Hockey fanatic
Jul 10, 2011
As pointed out Tanev is a RW, he can and has played LW but has been predominately a RW in Winnipeg. He is one of few wingers Maurice will easily flip sides with but with losing Armia and the chance Roslovic moves from RW to C you can't pencil in Tanev on the left side.

He has deficiencies along the wall but he also has some at C. Easier to mask on the wing.

To succeed in the NHL he needs to have the right situation and opportunity plus he needs to play with more pace than he has in the past. The Jets can provide him the opportunity but he has a lot of competition so it is imperative that he prepared properly this off season and show it on the ice.

Oh and he better be planning on showing that at LW.

If he's a LW we don't need him. Without him if Vesalainen signs

Connor
Ehlers
Perreault
Tanev/Copp
Lemieux
Suess
Kerdiles
McKenzie
With Veselainen a question mark.

Dano can play LW too. Seth Griffith as well.

And Tanev, Ehlers can play RW. I think Roslovic is the insurance plan for Scheif and Little. Copp for Lowry. But that's only 5 centres. Is Appleton a viable centre?

Montreal would be a good fit for Petan. But I would want Lernout back, and I'd look for preseason cuts to fill Petan's skates, at centre depth.

Ad

Upcoming events

Ad

Ad