Speculation: Petan, Nic.

BatVader

"nothing is true; everything is permitted"
May 16, 2015
Imperial Gotham
I think he’s gonna get a good look during the pre-season and first month or 2.
Depending on what happens there will determine where he plays. ie, line and/or team.
It’ll all be decided by mid to late November the latest.

Tasteless Beaver

PLANE TEAM GOOD
Jul 8, 2015
Ottawa, Ontario
He'll get a chance this year, and I think he'll do well.

Petan signed a 2-way deal because it paid more than a 1-way deal. He requires waivers either way, and if he gets sent down to the AHL, somebody will pick him up on the waiver wire. Pretty safe bet on his part to take the 2-way.

Reactions: Arthur Fonzarelli

voyageur

Hockey fanatic
Jul 10, 2011
I’d offer Markus Granlund for him from the Canucks.

I think this is a trade that could happen. Jets have plenty of PP options but lost a lot of PK players. This was a problem for Edmonton last year. Well one of their problems. Granlund is versatile which helps, and I think he is a decent PK option. If I remember correctly he's got decent wheels. I wouldn't necessarily want a pick for Petan. Though the Jets do well with later round picks, because of good scouting. A roster player helps immediately. Although there are enough UFAS still available to fill a roster.

voyageur

Hockey fanatic
Jul 10, 2011
I expect him to play in the Jets top 9 this season. He might even find his way into the top line with Scheifele and Wheeler. In limited time, that line has been outstanding. It would really juice the Jets 2nd and 3rd lines.

Petan-Scheifele-Wheeler
Connor-Roslovic-Laine
Perreault-Little-Ehlers
Copp-Lowry-Tanev

Yes, please.

The statistical guru has gotten to you. Eyes say that the top line for the Jets matched up well. So well that they produced a top 10 points getter, a 30 goal scorer, and the leading playoff goal scorer.

Petan is not going to be a top line option.

Little the vet, defensive gem, and faceoff ace probably slots back as 2C. Between Ehlers and Laine, one year more mature and this biggest reasons for that's line lack of success last year.

If Checking line stays the same, that puts Petan between Perreault and Roslovic who produced between both Little and Hendricks last year. If the middle two lines fail, Copp or Perreault go to centre, and Dano draws in for Petan.

Hard to believe anyone who believes the Jets are going to reinvent the wheel this year after building a 4 line team last year.

Whileee

May 29, 2010
The statistical guru has gotten to you. Eyes say that the top line for the Jets matched up well. So well that they produced a top 10 points getter, a 30 goal scorer, and the leading playoff goal scorer.

Petan is not going to be a top line option.

Little the vet, defensive gem, and faceoff ace probably slots back as 2C. Between Ehlers and Laine, one year more mature and this biggest reasons for that's line lack of success last year.

If Checking line stays the same, that puts Petan between Perreault and Roslovic who produced between both Little and Hendricks last year. If the middle two lines fail, Copp or Perreault go to centre, and Dano draws in for Petan.

Hard to believe anyone who believes the Jets are going to reinvent the wheel this year after building a 4 line team last year.
Jets haven't been using a typical 4 line setup since Lowry emerged as a shutdown C. Last season, Perreault and Armia spent time on a "4th" line, as Lowry's line was used a lot to shut down other team's top lines. I think the same approach will be used this season. Petan would end up playing with Scheifele, Little or Roslovic on an offensive line. He's unlikely to play much C.

I think Maurice will look for a different mix with Little, since the Ehlers-Little-Laine line wasn't that effective. We might even see Laine flipped over to LW.

In any case, I think Petan is going to get a role on an offensive line, and perhaps even with Scheifele and Wheeler. The Jets have a lot of options with their talent and depth.

ffh

Jul 16, 2016
Jets haven't been using a typical 4 line setup since Lowry emerged as a shutdown C. Last season, Perreault and Armia spent time on a "4th" line, as Lowry's line was used a lot to shut down other team's top lines. I think the same approach will be used this season. Petan would end up playing with Scheifele, Little or Roslovic on an offensive line. He's unlikely to play much C.

I think Maurice will look for a different mix with Little, since the Ehlers-Little-Laine line wasn't that effective. We might even see Laine flipped over to LW.

In any case, I think Petan is going to get a role on an offensive line, and perhaps even with Scheifele and Wheeler. The Jets have a lot of options with their talent and depth.
This is a guy who wasn't good enough last year to sit in the Press box now he might play with Scheifele and wheeler. No there is no chance of that. Sitting in the press box and not put on waivers should be his goal.

Reactions: Lorenzo1000

JetsHomer

Nov 29, 2011
This is a guy who wasn't good enough last year to sit in the Press box now he might play with Scheifele and wheeler. No there is no chance of that. Sitting in the press box and not put on waivers should be his goal.
I’ve never understood why people are so down on Petan like this poster. The year before everything you said about Petan applied to Connor. But now Connor is an elite player and Petan a bust?

greasysnapper

Apr 6, 2018
I don't think he's an everyday player. Reminds me a bit of Pulkkinen, Boucher or Jurco, in that there's quite a bit of hype, and offensive upside but he's not good enough to crack a top 6/9, and can't play a suitable checking role. I think he's sitting in the presser until there's an injury. Hope he gets a shot, I always liked him, but I don't know if he'll be a real player.

ffh

Jul 16, 2016
I’ve never understood why people are so down on Petan like this poster. The year before everything you said about Petan applied to Connor. But now Connor is an elite player and Petan a bust?
Not quite the same. Way diffrent pedigree and Petan has 80 games in the nhl and has not shown yet that he can play in the league. Saying he can play on a line with Scheifele and wheeler is a little far fetched. It sure looks like 3 younger players have passed him on the depth charts. His goal should be to be in the press box this year and try to make an impression when injuries hit the team.

Reactions: Lorenzo1000

north49er

Dec 20, 2017
IMO he's not a bust, far from it. He's just on a team loaded with better wingers. He'd get a better shot somewhere else.

CaptainChef

Jan 5, 2014
Bedroom Jetsville
I'll take him in Edmonton. 4th rounder?
Keep dreaming guys. Chevy is not about to give up good depth like Petan for peanuts. And a 4th rounder, thats peanuts! When Petan has played with skilled linemates in the NHL his numbers are great. When he's played with grinders, his numbers are terrible.

I don't think his junior & AHL stats are bogus. he's a very skillled player. But, there may not be room for him in Wpgs top 6, in fact its unlikely there is room for him. Perhaps he can make a go of it with skilled linemates on the 3rd line, but Lowry seems to have the C job sewed up there. I don't know where he fits, but come injuries, we may see a breakout year that matches what he has done in Jr & the AHL

CaptainChef

Jan 5, 2014
Bedroom Jetsville
and fffft... to you too. All he's ever needed is a chance. He's had that for a few games with skilled linemates & he's been dynamite. I'm sure he has it in him, given a chance .... but then I'm sure you'd still find plenty to critique him on

Reactions: Mortimer Snerd

Whileee

May 29, 2010
IMO he's not a bust, far from it. He's just on a team loaded with better wingers. He'd get a better shot somewhere else.
Right now I'd say he's #12 on the forward depth chart. He'll need to fight to keep that spot with Dano and maybe Lemieux.

Jimmyjets

Oct 22, 2014
I have dreams of Petan saucing passes to Laine on his off wing. I think he breaks out big time this year because even on the "3rd or 4th" line hes going to be playing with very talented players and probably a 30+ goal scorer.

If you keep Connor Scheif Wheeler together (why fix what isn't broken?) and Copp Lowry Tanev (with Dano filling in for injuries here). I don't think that Ehlers and Laine complement each other well so I'd split them up. Perreault Little Ehlers worked really well last year which means Petan would be playing with Laine and Roslovic.

Petan is a smaller player and many times they take a bit longer to develop. He went point per game in the AHL last year and will get a real shot with very good players (even if not using my preferred line combos).

This is a big year for him. I think he's auditioning to replace Perrault in case we have to trade him as a cap casualty. As other posters said, he'll also play in Wheelers spot on PP2 and should rack up some assists because of that. I can easily see 40+ points out of him, more than replacing Armia's offence.

Kaen

Dec 29, 2009
It's really hard to say what is going to happen with Petan this year. He's good enough to play in the NHL, but not good enough to play on one of the Jets scoring lines. Really he should be a complementary piece to a scoring line, as he struggles when played with low skill players, but barring injuries to a few forwards I don't think he gets a real shot at it in Winnipeg. Hopefully he shows enough that we can move him for something of value.

Reactions: north49er

Trinity

Dec 12, 2017
I think the Jets trade Perreault instead, and Petan takes his spot in the Jets lineup.

Reactions: McDLT

MardyBum

Jul 4, 2012
Winnipeg, Manitoba

He just hates every young talented player we have. If he had his way we'd roll out Hendricks with two Tanev's on every line:rolleyes:

kittiecarlyle

Nov 1, 2016
No one knows. Roslovic finished strongly for the Jets and he might emerge as a C this year. Copp is versatile as a C/W. Petan has little chance of emerging as a winger, with lots of more skilled and physical options available.

Best chance is 3/4C, with Perreault and Roslovic as his wings, I'd say.

I think he's a 40-50 game player. May be traded for a penalty killing centre as the Jets lost 3 guys from last year's PK, though Matthias was a spare part.
Don't see nor think Petan is viewed as a C and hasn't been for a while. Think LW and you would be most likely to be accurate. He has not shown he can handle the responsibilities at C in either the NHL or AHL.

ffh

Jul 16, 2016
He just hates every young talented player we have. If he had his way we'd roll out Hendricks with two Tanev's on every line:rolleyes:
At least hendricks and tanev contributed to our team winning last year. 3 years now give up on petan that ship has sailed it gets old listening to how great he is and how all his linemates all bring him down. 5th round pick is a big win for chevy if he can get that for petan.

MardyBum

Jul 4, 2012
Winnipeg, Manitoba
At least hendricks and tanev contributed to our team winning last year. 3 years now give up on petan that ship has sailed it gets old listening to how great he is and how all his linemates all bring him down. 5th round pick is a big win for chevy if he can get that for petan.

Yeah, give up on Petan. It's not like the players you mentioned started their NHL careers at 28 and 25, and were doing nothing comparable to Petan at the same age he is now.

But you're right, it's too late for Petan.:rolleyes:

Reactions: Mortimer Snerd

Whileee

May 29, 2010
Yeah, give up on Petan. It's not like the players you mentioned started their NHL careers at 28 and 25, and were doing nothing comparable to Petan at the same age he is now.

But you're right, it's too late for Petan.:rolleyes:
Petan's trajectory so far hasn't been that much different than another undersized LW / C on the Jets - Mathieu Perreault.

Other smaller offensive players have also had similar trajectories (like Tyler Johnson and Nyquist).

I think this is the year that Petan needs to make a statement, and I won't be surprised if he has a strong season.

Ad

Upcoming events

Ad

Ad

-->