Speculation: Petan, Nic.

Filthy Dangles

Registered User*
Oct 23, 2014
What goes on? He signed a 1 year deal, two-way but he no longer is waiver exempt and obviously would not pass through waivers. It seems he's blocked in the 'peg. Won't get a shot with how loaded WPG is and too good for the American league.

He needs a shot to play in the top6 somewhere. WPG isn't gonna lose him on the waiver wire are they?

He's excellent on the PP, I'd say EDM should kick the tires. They could use a boost on the PP and to their depth, he could get a chance there and perhaps shine with a bigger role.

What do you think? What is his trade value? A mid round pick or something....?

voyageur

Hockey fanatic
Jul 10, 2011
Winnipeg doesn't have a lot of depth at centre, though boasting a top scorer, and elite shut down centre.

Petan is insurance, needs a break through offensively to be anything more. Should get some playing time, 2nd PP duties with the Jets, with injuries.

I see him as a perfect fit for Vancouver, with Travis Green as their coach and former junior teammates Leipsic and Pouliot on the team.

Filthy Dangles

Registered User*
Oct 23, 2014
Winnipeg doesn't have a lot of depth at centre, though boasting a top scorer, and elite shut down centre.

Petan is insurance, needs a break through offensively to be anything more. Should get some playing time, 2nd PP duties with the Jets, with injuries.

I see him as a perfect fit for Vancouver, with Travis Green as their coach and former junior teammates Leipsic and Pouliot on the team.

Do you expect him to be a staple in the bottom 6 and replace Armia at least to start? I forgot about him moving on.

voyageur

Hockey fanatic
Jul 10, 2011
No one knows. Roslovic finished strongly for the Jets and he might emerge as a C this year. Copp is versatile as a C/W. Petan has little chance of emerging as a winger, with lots of more skilled and physical options available.

Best chance is 3/4C, with Perreault and Roslovic as his wings, I'd say.

I think he's a 40-50 game player. May be traded for a penalty killing centre as the Jets lost 3 guys from last year's PK, though Matthias was a spare part.

Reactions: Arthur Fonzarelli

ChaoticOrange

Jun 29, 2008
Edmonton
I’m not sure Edmonton should be giving up picks for maybes up front right now.

Plus it doesn’t send a great message to Puljujarvi/Yamamoto.

Like 780 says, maybe a fourth rounder. If not we’re content to wait on waivers/PTOs.

Reactions: 780il

Whileee

May 29, 2010
I expect him to play in the Jets top 9 this season. He might even find his way into the top line with Scheifele and Wheeler. In limited time, that line has been outstanding. It would really juice the Jets 2nd and 3rd lines.

Petan-Scheifele-Wheeler
Connor-Roslovic-Laine
Perreault-Little-Ehlers
Copp-Lowry-Tanev

Yes, please.

DudeWhereIsMakar

Bergevin sent me an offer sheet
Apr 25, 2014
Winnipeg
He or Dano will be playing on the third/fourth line, too good for what we need in the bottom six.

Laine-Scheifele-Wheeler
Connor-Roslovic-Ehlers
Perreault-Little-Petan/Dano
Copp-Lowry-Tanev

Hunter368

RIP lomiller1, see you in the next life buddy.
Nov 8, 2011
No interest or need to trade him at this point, sooner keep him. Certainly not worth losing for a mid range pick.

Reactions: Whileee and Snowman

Hunter368

RIP lomiller1, see you in the next life buddy.
Nov 8, 2011
He's definitely worth more than a mid round pick. I think he's going to have a good season.

It will be a make it or break season for him, we need depth. So trading a depth guy for a worthless return is counterproductive considering we then need to trade for depth at the TDL for a playoff push. Plus Petan is versatile being able to play C or W or PPQB throughout the lineup due to injuries. Not sure what a successful season looks like for him but as a bottom six guy if he gets 20-30 points that massive win for us.

Reactions: BHD and Snowman

PhilJets

Winnipeg is Good
Jun 24, 2012
Somewhere nice
Petan now is a perfect compliment in the Jets top nine.
He should be able to slot in anywhere there.

Xxx Schiefele xxx
Xxx Little xxx
Perrault xxx xxxx
You can throw in players around
Wheeler, Laine, Ehlers, Connor, Roslovic, Petan.

Now that there's legit skill all over any lines that he will be playing in, he should do well.
He won't be drop to 4th line also as Jets have that group fix as shutdown line that should chip in 30 -35 goals a year with

Copp Lowry Tanev
Dano

Reactions: GoJetsGo55

ffh

Jul 16, 2016
Stick a fork in him he's done. There's a reason he only got a 2 way deal. To small to slow and can't shoot. Vesalainen appleton lemieux all past him on depth chart. Look for Vesalainen to make 20 man roster not petan. Sad to say but he is just a guy to fill in in practice when payers are out nothing more.
a 3rd round pick would get it done in a trade.

Last edited:

PhilJets

Winnipeg is Good
Jun 24, 2012
Somewhere nice
Stick a fork in him he's done. There's a reason he only got a 2 way deal. To small to slow and can't shoot. Vesalainen appleton lemieux all past him on depth chart. Look for Vesalainen to make 20 man roster not petan. Sad to say but he is just a guy to fill in in practice when payers are out nothing more.
a 3rd round pick would get it done in a trade.
you're so mean.. hahahaha
:)

Give him a chance. :)

Compares to last year. Jets already loaded offense is more loaded.

Lost
Hendrick and Armia

Now chance full time for Petan and Roslovic

elitepete

Jan 30, 2017
Vancouver

I’d offer Markus Granlund for him from the Canucks.

King Woodballs

Captain Awesome
Sep 25, 2007
Your Mind
He has has multiple opportunities to make and stay with the jets and hasn't been able to so far to date.
Honestly I don't see that changing. If the jets traded him tomorrow i know I wouldn't shed a tear over it.

Guffman

Apr 7, 2016
This really is the year for Petan to make an impact if he wants to stay with the Jets. He should get a legitimate shot given his waiver status.

I doubt that the Jets are trading him before giving him this opportunity. Excited to see if he makes the most of it.

MardyBum

Jul 4, 2012
Winnipeg, Manitoba
No interest in trading him. He's never been given a proper opportunity in a scoring role for any length of time. He's either filled in for a short time with offensive players, and played well, or was put in a checking role with guys like Hendricks or Thorburn, and performed poorly.

Assuming our shutdown line is kept intact he and Dano will get opportunities to play with skilled players this year, instead of 8 min a game with the Hendricks and Thorburns of the world.

Reactions: Mortimer Snerd

Ad

Upcoming events

Ad

Ad

-->