Petan into the lineup - WHEN

Johnny HFBOARDS

Trade you!
Dec 10, 2011
Earth
If Petan gets some space, he's gonna look real good tonight, he's slick, watchout for the-Petan* ( it's a nice sauce pass coined by Buff)

Davidos193

Feb 12, 2019
I have nothing against Petan but I don't get how you can scratch Ennis. He's been producing on the 4th line with limited minutes, and just scored two big goals versus Montreal and Buffalo last week. What does he have to do to stay in the lineup? Petan should have waited for his turn in the press box. No reason to scratch Ennis

Dreakmur

Mar 25, 2008
Orillia, Ontario
I have nothing against Petan but I don't get how you can scratch Ennis. He's been producing on the 4th line with limited minutes, and just scored two big goals versus Montreal and Buffalo last week. What does he have to do to stay in the lineup? Petan should have waited for his turn in the press box. No reason to scratch Ennis

This is why I ignore most people who complain about Babcock. Doesn’t matter what he does, it’s wrong.

Reactions: Faltorvo

ryno23

Feb 5, 2010
Petan is good insurance for the next few years. He is an RFA so he doesnt have much track record and will sign a small deal. If Kappy or Mango get offer sheeted they can slide Petan up the lineup and he should produce with better linemates. He is a scorer. If the above mentioned 2 guys come back he can slide into Marleau spot after next year on the 3rd line.

Good opportunities for him

Reactions: TIGERCOOL

TDotMassive

Jul 13, 2018
6ix
Petan is good insurance for the next few years. He is an RFA so he doesnt have much track record and will sign a small deal. If Kappy or Mango get offer sheeted they can slide Petan up the lineup and he should produce with better linemates. He is a scorer. If the above mentioned 2 guys come back he can slide into Marleau spot after next year on the 3rd line.

Petan is a long way away from being a replacement for Kappy...

leaffaninvancouver

formerly in Victoria
Jan 11, 2012

I don’t get why people don’t see this, Dubas has flat out said on camera our plan is to have a core of elite players surrounded with a rotating cast of cheap prospects that we draft and hone it the Marlies.

When Ennis signs somewhere next season for three million, other players like him will notice that a year on a cheap deal with the Leafs can pay off big time.

Menzinger

Kessel4LadyByng
Apr 24, 2014
St. Paul, MN
I don’t get why people don’t see this, Dubas has flat out said on camera our plan is to have a core of elite players surrounded with a rotating cast of cheap prospects that we draft and hone it the Marlies.

When Ennis signs somewhere next season for three million, other players like him will notice that a year on a cheap deal with the Leafs can pay off big time.

And there’s always going to be another Ennis type player available too, every offseason

Stand Witness

JT
Sponsor
Oct 25, 2014
London, ON
And there’s always going to be another Ennis type player available too, every offseason

And you hope the Leafs resources and track record makes us an attractable place for these guys too.

I feel like at the end of the season both the Leafs and Ennis walk away happy. Leafs are happy for Ennis getting a raise elsewhere, Ennis is happy for the opportunity, and UFAs see a rehab chance.

Reactions: Menzinger

crump

~ ~ (ړײ) ~ ~
Feb 26, 2004
Ontariariario
Congrats Nic, nice goal.Now you get to sit...
“Tyler Ennis played real well in the last five games,” said coach Mike Babcock. “He didn’t deserve to be out of the lineup. It was just one of those decisions. He’s going back in next game and we’ll go from there.”
Maple Leafs go west, and the road feels like home | The Star
So either Gauthier, Moore or Petan comes out.....probably Petan

Reactions: Leafling

Its not your fault

Nov 24, 2016
He did wait for his turn its not like he said play more or else.

Leafling

Oct 24, 2015
Petan is a pure winger these days. Nobody is replacing Gauthier. Trading Lindholm was Babcock's way of saying he trusts him to be the full time 4C, and with the way he has been playing this season (and especially recently), he has earned it.

Ennis is coming out, and that is perfectly fine. Let him, Moore and Ennis fight for playing time for the rest of the year. That should make Ennis work that much harder to be consistent, because he knows he is the least likely to be around next year, and his NHL future is at the greatest risk.

Agreed about GOAT, but honestly if anyone should fight for that 4th line winger spot it's Brown. Ennis and Moore are both better options at the 3rd line wing than Brown atm.

horner

May 22, 2007
And the team gets smaller...finally a player that can penetrate Chara by going between his legs.
Dubas wants to prove that you don't need size or toughness to win in the playoffs.
His analytics is all you need to win the Stanley Cup.

TIGERCOOL

Sep 29, 2014

This is exactly why Dubas scooped him up. He's a perfect plan B if we lose one of Johnnson or Kap. A kid that we can sign real cheap and has a good amount of upside. Also a nice bonus is that having him ready to jump in takes a little bit of leverage away from Johnsson/Kap in negotiations.

These are exactly the kind of players we need to be bringing in to fill in the gaps around our core going forward.
Petan was never a move for this year.

BlueForever75

Oct 4, 2017
With Petan's ability to play C, it should be GOAT that sits a game or two. Forming a line of Ennis-Petan-Moore gives us the opportunity to out hustle teams on pucks when they play. They all have skill and speed. Yes they are not the biggest. But most 4th lines in the NHL have bigger slower bodies that bang, thing is that they have to catch the smaller players to hit them. This line would give fits, score and draw penalties with a great forcheck.

Reactions: sxvnert

deletethis

Mar 17, 2015
Toronto
Commenting on something I saw earlier in this thread: why is any NHL team giving Tyler Ennis over $1M AAV let alone $3M. He's not a complete season player and he doesn't seem to be able to handle higher minutes and higher competition any longer. He's in a perfect hockey situation after having made his money followed by a buyout in Minnesota. However some team will probably be able to dangle a couple hundred grand more for him than the Leafs can pay and I suppose he should take it.

deletethis

Mar 17, 2015
Toronto
With Petan's ability to play C, it should be GOAT that sits a game or two. Forming a line of Ennis-Petan-Moore gives us the opportunity to out hustle teams on pucks when they play. They all have skill and speed. Yes they are not the biggest. But most 4th lines in the NHL have bigger slower bodies that bang, thing is that they have to catch the smaller players to hit them. This line would give fits, score and draw penalties with a great forcheck.

I would like to see Petan at center just to get a lay of the land with the player. I don't think that position is ideal for him as he's not super strong or super swift.

I know Moore hasn't played the position much as a pro but I think Moore looks more than a 2019 center type with his strong legs. I'd be interested to see that.

Davidos193

Feb 12, 2019
This is why I ignore most people who complain about Babcock. Doesn’t matter what he does, it’s wrong.

did i say anything about Babcock? The decision to insert Petan in the lineup was probably Dubas's decision.

Regardless, Ennis has two goals tonight vs. Calgary. Proves my point that he doesn't deserve to sit in the pressbox.

Dreakmur

Mar 25, 2008
Orillia, Ontario
did i say anything about Babcock? The decision to insert Petan in the lineup was probably Dubas's decision.

Regardless, Ennis has two goals tonight vs. Calgary. Proves my point that he doesn't deserve to sit in the pressbox.

You complained about a line up decision. That’s Babcock’s decision. He puts Petan in and he is dumb for doing it. If he didn’t, he’s dumb for that too.

Ad

Upcoming events

Ad

Ad