Antropovsky

Jun 2, 2007
McBackup played well for this team.
Very well.

FOR THIS TEAM.

That is worth a lot. Results.

Nice guy Dubas gave Sparks a shot.

Mistake.

McBackup deserved to continue to play until he regressed.

Not difficult.

Sparks won the ahl championship and goalie of the year..."if" he turned into a great backup or 1B for another team you would be in this very thread saying how Dubas messed up picking the old, journeyman backup with one outlier of a great backup season... instead of keeping the young, sparks who lead the Marlies to an AHL championship and also was awarded the goaltender of the year. It was such an easy choice and idiot Dubas made the wrong choice!!

Hindsight is 20/20.

Cap'n Flavour

Mar 8, 2004
Flavour Country
The counter to that would look how often they start in the D zone. What can you expect?

As a player, Petan may be more appealing, but Gauthier and Shore are there to fill a role, win face offs and kill penalties.

Petan hasn't exactly received favourable usage either. It's a whopping sample of 5 games but he's only had 3 offensive zone starts and that was probably playing with Tavares that one (half of a) game.

Unlike Goat/Tima/Shore, he has team-leading possession metrics at around 65%. No, he's not going to score much either, but at least he has some puck skills. Does the fourth line need three interchangeable grinders on it?

Commander Clueless

Hiya, hiya. Pleased to meetcha.
Sep 10, 2008
All respect to Kaskisuo, but I don't think he is the answer to our backup problems.

I think the Petan experiment needs to end as well. Would much rather have seen Korshkov get the call.

LeafingTheWay

May 31, 2014
All respect to Kaskisuo, but I don't think he is the answer to our backup problems.

I think the Petan experiment needs to end as well. Would much rather have seen Korshkov get the call.

We need Petan's creativity with Marner out. Hopefully Babcock utilizes him properly like Keefe does in the AHL.

Reactions: qqaz

DarkKnight

Professional Amateur
Jan 17, 2017
Sparks won the ahl championship and goalie of the year..."if" he turned into a great backup or 1B for another team you would be in this very thread saying how Dubas messed up picking the old, journeyman backup with one outlier of a great backup season... instead of keeping the young, sparks who lead the Marlies to an AHL championship and also was awarded the goaltender of the year. It was such an easy choice and idiot Dubas made the wrong choice!!

Hindsight is 20/20.
Except if you said it was a big mistake at the time, which many did. Also, there was a poll here out of that camp, just prior to waivers, a huge majority picked Mc. Who needs hindsight when you have foresight.

Dekes For Days

Sep 24, 2018
Who needs hindsight when you have foresight.
Making the wrong decision and getting lucky is not foresight.

Also, we have no idea how McBackup would have done that year on the Leafs, so even saying you were right is completely unsubstantiated. He was pretty bad that year behind a much better defense, playing in more favourable situations.

HamiltonNHL

Parity era hockey is just puck luck + draft luck
Jan 4, 2012

Hindsight is 20/20.

True but, I liked McBackup.

i'm playing Sparks in the AHL longer and making him look really good while my backup is playing well.

Someone might want to take a chance on him and trade me something for him.

Goalie is an important position.

You can bury weak players on the wings but not in net. A known commodity in net is valuable. Leafs are in Win Now mode and you don't gamble at goalie during win now.

Reactions: DarkKnight

sparxx87

Don Quixote
Jan 5, 2010
Toronto
We need Petan's creativity with Marner out. Hopefully Babcock utilizes him properly like Keefe does in the AHL.
How does one utilize Petan properly? They only have 4 lines. A 5th liner will always be miscast.
Petan hasn't exactly received favourable usage either. It's a whopping sample of 5 games but he's only had 3 offensive zone starts and that was probably playing with Tavares that one (half of a) game.

Unlike Goat/Tima/Shore, he has team-leading possession metrics at around 65%. No, he's not going to score much either, but at least he has some puck skills. Does the fourth line need three interchangeable grinders on it?
Neither did Korshkov, Gauthier etc. Nothing was handed to them yet they made an impression with what they’re given. That’s how it works in the NHL.

Team leading possession? :laugh:

The cream always rises to the top yet Petan has sunk himself with two different teams and two different coaches. He isn’t an NHL player and it’s curious that so many talk like he is.

DarkKnight

Professional Amateur
Jan 17, 2017

Also, we have no idea how McBackup would have done that year on the Leafs, so even saying you were right is completely unsubstantiated. He was pretty bad that year behind a much better defense, playing in more favourable situations.
Pretty bad, what are you talking about?

Getting lucky was Sparks, rolling the dice on an unproven AHL goalie, put in role he wasn't accustomed to, who had a terrible camp trying to win the job. We had a reliable backup, he showed that his two years here.

What was Sparks upside? Not one goalie commentator I heard saw him as a potential starter, his flaws so glaring. So, you're dealing with a McBackup anyways, albeit it younger, which is countered by the pure uncertainty of it all.

Everyone is entitled to their opinion, I'll stand by my original comment when the decision was made, the old goalie will be in the NHL a lot longer than the young Sparks. That's the bottom line and its proven to be the case.

sparxx87

Don Quixote
Jan 5, 2010
Toronto

:laugh: How is predicting something that was so predictable considered getting lucky?

Dekes For Days

Sep 24, 2018
Getting lucky was Sparks, rolling the dice on an unproven AHL goalie, put in role he wasn't accustomed to, who had a terrible camp trying to win the job. We had a reliable backup, he showed that his two years here.
We had a backup that fluked out a season never to be repeated, that was super old and in the final year of a contract, not to be re-signed. We also had a young, home-grown, Calder Cup winning, AHL goalie of the year under cheap team control. No goalie is proven until they get a chance. This was Sparks' earned chance, and you don't cut all of that investment loose because of a couple mediocre preseason games with incomplete rosters.

So many of you are so two-faced, it's ridiculous. Your stances completely change based on your personal feelings about the players involved, while you know so little information about them.

What was Sparks upside?
What was Binnington's upside? So many of you speaking on things you know nothing about; pretending to be scouts and coaches.

:laugh: How is predicting something that was so predictable considered getting lucky?
This was far from the predictable or expected outcome. Making a 50/50 guess doesn't make you Nostradamus.

Reactions: taurine330

Northofyu

Nov 12, 2018
Haven't been a fan of Petan either, but here's his chance.

Totally agree with prior post about Leafs getting pinned in our end for what seems like forever - hate that.

& also about Goat's early promise fading from view.

DarkKnight

Professional Amateur
Jan 17, 2017
We had a backup that fluked out a season never to be repeated, that was super old and in the final year of a contract, not to be re-signed. We also had a young, home-grown, Calder Cup winning, AHL goalie of the year under cheap team control. No goalie is proven until they get a chance. This was Sparks' earned chance, and you don't cut all of that investment loose because of a couple mediocre preseason games with incomplete rosters.

So many of you are so two-faced, it's ridiculous. Your stances completely change based on your personal feelings about the players involved, while you know so little information about them.

What was Binnington's upside? So many of you speaking on things you know nothing about; pretending to be scouts and coaches.

This was far from the predictable or expected outcome. Making a 50/50 guess doesn't make you Nostradamus.
Translation: You have nothing.

My stance never changed.

Reactions: ACC1224

Dekes For Days

Sep 24, 2018
Translation: You have nothing.
No, you clearly didn't read my post.

People like you always predict the negative. When the positive outcome happens, people are happy, and they don't care how completely wrong you were, and you shuffle off and hide. When the negative outcome happens, you pop up and talk about how smart you are and how you can predict how everything will happen, and how obvious it was, and look how stupid everybody else's decisions were, even if they were the logical decision that everybody would be screaming to make in any other situation.

That's the only thing that's predictable in all of this.

DarkKnight

Professional Amateur
Jan 17, 2017
No, you clearly didn't read my post.

People like you always predict the negative. When the positive outcome happens, people are happy, and they don't care how completely wrong you were, and you shuffle off and hide. When the negative outcome happens, you pop up and talk about how smart you are and how you can predict how everything will happen, and look how stupid everybody else's decisions were, even if they were the logical decision that everybody would be screaming to make in any other situation.

That's the only thing that's predictable in all of this.
You sound unhinged, but hey...

So who's the backup going to be?

Note the poll results, after we saw the camp shit show. Feel free to review my comments too if you want. I'll leave you to the revisionism. This is a waste of time.

HamiltonNHL

Jan 4, 2012
I am dumbfounded with McBackup gone. He played great last year. I assumed he was going to be brought in on short notice if Sparks has troubles.
Seems like this is a high wire act with no safety net.
Are the new Marlies goalies so good i shouldn't worry ?

[link]

Check.

ACC1224

Super Elite, Passing ALL Tests since 2002
Aug 19, 2002
You sound unhinged, but hey...

So who's the backup going to be?

Note the poll results, after we saw the camp **** show. Feel free to review my comments too if you want. I'll leave you to the revisionism. This is a waste of time.
It was pretty obvious to many that Sparks was never going to cut it despite having some success against shooters in a lower league.
Those many were consistent with their views and over time proven to be correct.

Just have to chalk it up to a learning moment for the rookie GM. Unfortunately you're going to get these situations when someone is learning as they go.

Dekes For Days

Sep 24, 2018
Note the poll results, after we saw the camp **** show.
Note the many very different responses and suggestions and people talking about McBackup's bad game. Also, note that the poll is who will, not who should. Also, note the reactionary timing of that thread, for an extremely reactionary fanbase.

Choosing Sparks was the correct choice, regardless of outcome. Sometimes correct choices have bad outcomes.

Feel free to review my comments too if you want.
You mean the one where you claimed:
DarkKnight said:
Reimer is an excellent backup in this league.
Yeah, you're like a god at evaluating goalies clearly. So easy, am I right? :eyeroll:

15-16-5, 3.09 GAA, 0.900 SV% since.

Dat elite foresight.

HamiltonNHL

Jan 4, 2012
15-16-5, 3.09 GAA, 0.900 SV% since.
Better than Hutch and Sparks.

Sorry. I dont gamble with goalies.

I keep Sparks in the AHL until my proven guy declines.

And if a team wants to gamble on my AHL goalie I make the trade.

Sparks and Dubas were buddies ... good guy Dubas gambled on his buddy and lost.

You need a backup goalie.

Our season is 100% done if Andersen gets injured.

SprDaVE

Sep 20, 2008
Yeah, as far as history goes, he's not even as good as Sparks or Hutchinson. We kinda have to hope that he's one of those guys that just plays better in the NHL for some/no reason.

Goaltenders are voodoo.

Look at someone like Scott Darling. Average early in his pro career, a couple top notch AHL seasons and then gets a shot in the NHL around the age of 25 years old and does very well with the Hawks for 3 seasons... like he was super good. He then gets traded from a good team at the time to a bad one in the Canes and Darling can't stop a beach ball at the NHL, gets waived, goes to the AHL and also can't stop a beach ball there. Gets bought out 2 seasons later. No NHL contract at this time. Andrew Hammond is another recent example. Goes on a huge streak with the Sens but now he's sort of back to being a very average AHL goaltender.

Then there's a few late bloomer goaltenders that finally figured it out like Dubnyk or Campbell that were able to stand off bad early pro seasons into pretty solid careers so far. I'm sure there are other examples.

Leafs don't need a ~1.5 GAA and .930% backup goaltender. They really just need consistency and someone that is at least close to average... like Sparks was last season. It would be great if they can get a super hot Kaskisuo that goes on an Andrew Hammond run.

Dekes For Days

Sep 24, 2018
Better than Hutch and Sparks.
Actually, hilariously, it's about the same as Sparks. :laugh:

8-9-1, 3.12 GAA, 0.901 SV%.

I keep Sparks in the AHL
Nope. You lose him on waivers, without even giving him a chance.

Our season is 100% done if Andersen gets injured.
If we lose Andersen, our season is done regardless of who our backup is, just as it would be for most teams in the league.

Hutch 5.00

FTFY
Nobody's here calling Hutch a "reasonable backup".

Ad

Upcoming events

Ad

Ad