pet peeves when I'm at a game

sc37

Jan 14, 2006
OH-IO
www.thescoreboards.com
So what are people supposed to call them?

Mr. Chelios?
Mr. Modano?
3rd line left winger?
You, by the top of the left face off circle with the blue stick?
Hey, number 14!

I will say, in a face to face situation I always use Mr. SoAndSo.

But, I think people using their first name comes from listening to the "color" guys during broadcasts using their first names or nicknames.

I didn't know any fans were on a first name basis with any of the players.

Nicknames are ok...just plain last name like they do on TV is ok too. I mean heck that's what's printed on the jersey. It's stupid when ppl are like, 'Oh come on Rick you're killing us" or "Man, don't you think Manny is playing great?!" I think a plain old Nash or Malhotra is fine.

MikeD

Jul 3, 2006
Buffalo NY
www.hawksice.com
For an adult it is very appropriate to use the players first name. We Do know them. If anything, it validates them as a part of the community they play in. For many it gives them a sense of belonging. For kids addressing a pro player or any other adult, it should Be Mr. Madano, Mr Ray, or whatever.....

cbjfan97

Apr 7, 2007
nash-ville, OH

Nicknames are ok...just plain last name like they do on TV is ok too. I mean heck that's what's printed on the jersey. It's stupid when ppl are like, 'Oh come on Rick you're killing us" or "Man, don't you think Manny is playing great?!" I think a plain old Nash or Malhotra is fine.

who really cares? why is this such an issue? the players dont care i am sure.

Goalie_Gal

Jul 15, 2006
The "Rangers Suck!" chant at any Devils game where the opponent is NOT the Rangers makes no sense whatsoever and makes the entire arena look like a bunch of morons. And trust me, I think the "Potvin Sucks!" chant at Ranger games is almost as dumb... but when the Devils are playing the Bruins and the fans are yelling about the Rangers, it's really just laughable.

And I'm with you on yelling "SHOOT!" on the PP. I think these guys have a pretty good idea of what they're supposed to be doing out there. At least they can hear it when half the place yells it. I nearly fall out of my chair laughing when my husband, out of force of habit, yells "man on!" to a defenseman with an opposing player bearing down on him.

Shootmaster_44

Sep 10, 2005
Saskatoon
The only thing that annoys me at games is when someone comes finds their seat, makes me get up and then decides they want a drink or something to eat, reversing the process all over again.

Other than that I don't care, I'm usually too into the game to notice what anyone else is saying anyhow.

TBLfan

Nov 25, 2005
Tampa, FL
tblfan.wordpress.com
1) people that stand up for no damn reason or when there's a SOG or people taking their time finding their seat or standing up talking to a friend when the puck is in play.

2) Yelling "shoot" everytime they cross the redline.

3) Guys explaining the game that don't understand what the hell they are talking about... and YES I have and will correct you if you are just bsing someone.

4) Fans that get violent or in your face for no reason, honestly I don't care that your a Rangers fan. I had no problem with you until you got in my face.

5) Puck bunnies talking about how a certain player is amazing because "He's soo hott!" Look, he's nearly 30 and you're 13 and ugly... it's not going to happen, get over it.

6) Cotton candy vendors that cover half your field of vision with their 30 foot ball of cotton candy.

7) Parking.

8) The freaking olympics penalty music. dong dong dong

9) Stupid questions: "Why'd they stop play?" Hey genius, it's tough to play the puck when it's sitting in row 15.

10) Leaving the game early. I don't care if the team is losing 6 to 0, stay and support them.

OilerNut*

One thing that always really annoyed me is the guy on the cell phone standing up waving to some other guy on the other side of rink trying to get his attention just to show where he is sitting.

littleD

- People who yell "SIT DOWN!" the moment anyone stands up. Someone could be on a breakaway in overtime of game seven of the finals and people will still tell you to sit down.

- People sitting behind you spill beer on the back of your chair. If you can't hang on to your cup, it's a sure sign you've had enough.

nexusrage21

Dec 14, 2004
3) Guys explaining the game that don't understand what the hell they are talking about... and YES I have and will correct you if you are just bsing someone.

4) Fans that get violent or in your face for no reason, honestly I don't care that your a Rangers fan. I had no problem with you until you got in my face.

10) Leaving the game early. I don't care if the team is losing 6 to 0, stay and support them.
These are definitely towards the top of my list too. For some reason the people who sit behind me are always a rotating crowd of 1 person who doesn't know hockey at all, and 1 person who doesn't know hockey at all but thinks they do. You hear them say things like, "Player X is a good goal scorer" when Player X is really a checking line player with no goals.

TBLfan

Nov 25, 2005
Tampa, FL
tblfan.wordpress.com
- People who yell "SIT DOWN!" the moment anyone stands up. Someone could be on a breakaway in overtime of game seven of the finals and people will still tell you to sit down.

- People sitting behind you spill beer on the back of your chair. If you can't hang on to your cup, it's a sure sign you've had enough.

It's the game, you stay seated until they score. I'd yell at you too, because I'm sitting and you just stood blocking my view so that you could stand and watch the breakaway instead of sit and watch the breakaway. It's not football, sit your butt down.

McNasty

Jan 20, 2007
Rutgers
Yea the people explaining the game who don't know anything about it always make me laugh, i usually only correct them when its a guy clearly trying to impress a girl. Nothing beats the one time i was at a Flyers game and Brashear scored, the woman behind me said wow that was a really nice play, and the guy said yea thats Donald Brashear He is an excellent offensive player

capn89*

My pet peeves, just in general, are hockey fans. Our sport is a piece of **** compared to other major sports, even stupid things like poker and ice fishing, yet 99% of hockey fans are frigging snobs who think they're better than every fan of every other sport for some reason. Who cares if people yell shoot, or call players by their first name, or boo the refs. They paid to be there, let them do what they want (as long as it doesn't interfere with the playing of the game, as in throwing **** on the ice and so forth) and just suck it up and deal with it for crying out loud. There are things I don't like (people getting up and down all the time, making you have to get out of their way) but it's a ****ing sporting event, you just either deal with it or stay home. No one here will admit it, but hockey fans are part of the reason hockey isn't more popular. No one likes snobs.

TBLfan

Nov 25, 2005
Tampa, FL
tblfan.wordpress.com
Who said we don't deal with it, you have to deal with it everytime you go to a game. And we're complaining about it, that's what this thread is for...

I don't know whether you see the irony of complaining about us complaining about the same thing that you "don't like."

Methane

Jan 14, 2007
Fort Worth, TX
kinnee.net
It's the game, you stay seated until they score. I'd yell at you too, because I'm sitting and you just stood blocking my view so that you could stand and watch the breakaway instead of sit and watch the breakaway. It's not football, sit your butt down.

I too will yell "SIT DOWN". It's annoying that one jackass in the front row stood, now all 32 rows behind him have to stand to see since he caused the ripple effect.

wo4bb

if the coyotes score 4 or more goals, you get a free chalupa from taco bell. i get so annoyed when the coyotes have 3 goals and everyone just wants them to get another goal so they can get a free chalupa. i dont want a stupid chalupa, i want a win!

ive even asked people, would you rather have a win or a chalupa and the answer always seems to be a chalupa.

devilsfan26

Jul 10, 2003
Iselin/Piscataway NJ
Yea the people explaining the game who don't know anything about it always make me laugh, i usually only correct them when its a guy clearly trying to impress a girl. Nothing beats the one time i was at a Flyers game and Brashear scored, the woman behind me said wow that was a really nice play, and the guy said yea thats Donald Brashear He is an excellent offensive player
Yea you Flyers fans are a different breed. I was at a Wild and Flyers game last year, wearing a Wild jersey and this lady sits down next to me and goes "I think Forsberg is coming back today, should help us out against these Minnesota guys." Then she asked if the seat I was in was my seat for the whole season. Yea I have Flyers season tickets but root for the away team. I guess she finally understood I wasn't a Flyers fan when the Wild scored and I stood up and cheered.

gamera

Jan 3, 2006
Kovalchuk Army HQ
Yea you Flyers fans are a different breed. I was at a Wild and Flyers game last year, wearing a Wild jersey and this lady sits down next to me and goes "I think Forsberg is coming back today, should help us out against these Minnesota guys." Then she asked if the seat I was in was my seat for the whole season. Yea I have Flyers season tickets but root for the away team. I guess she finally understood I wasn't a Flyers fan when the Wild scored and I stood up and cheered.

well....to kinda come to the flyers fan's defense....here in atlanta, we have alot of transplants from "up north" and some are thrashers season ticket holders, who, when their "home" team comes to town, will cheer for them

we get a TON of detroit and buffalo fans, for example, and most of them live in atlanta (many are season ticket holders here)

wo4bb

well....to kinda come to the flyers fan's defense....here in atlanta, we have alot of transplants from "up north" and some are thrashers season ticket holders, who, when their "home" team comes to town, will cheer for them

we get a TON of detroit and buffalo fans, for example, and most of them live in atlanta (many are season ticket holders here)

Phoenix gets a lot of that too. the priced for the games against detroit are double the price. and they still have more fans at the game then the coyotes.

gamera

Jan 3, 2006
Kovalchuk Army HQ
guess that's the price we pay for living in nice weather, in places where people want to move there ;)

but i do kinda miss the snow (i was born in chicago)

blue425

Apr 14, 2007
NYC
www.streetwars.net

I'm not the only person i who yells sit down where I sit, it is a group effort. I paid to watch a hockey game, not some fat/drunk/ugly guy/girls backside.

And for christ sake wait for a stoppage in play before going to/leaving your seats. Have some consideration.

wo4bb

And for christ sake wait for a stoppage in play before going to/leaving your seats. Have some consideration.

i like that the arena here won't let you back to your seats until there is a stoppage in play.

guess that's the price we pay for living in nice weather, in places where people want to move there ;)

but i do kinda miss the snow (i was born in chicago)

i dont miss the snow (im from WI)

Fish on The Sand

Untouchable
Feb 28, 2002
Canada

however, talk like that is good when 2 fans of the same team are talking to each other. For example on the habs board. Saku had a great game. No he didn't, Saku sucks, he isn't canadian. Nothing wrong with the use of Saku there. I just don't like it when it is ambiguous. For example. random canuck fan. Way to go Jeff!

Westguy13

Apr 6, 2005
Not KC...

What is wrong with first names? Since when is it disrespectful to call someone by their name? Do you not call people in your community by their first names? Do you expect me to say "Let's go Mr. Briere." Half of these guys are younger then the fans anyway not like it's a respect your elders thing. You are in a casual environment where first names are common place. Do you introduce your self as Mr. ... at the stadium?

Cats Gambler

Apr 2, 2007
Las Vegas, NV
1.) The season ticket holders here. They always have the *insert goalie's name here* x 3, YOU SUCK. THE WHOLE FREAKIN' GAME!

2.) The lack-of-knowledge people. I sat in front of one person, and on a delayed penalty, the opposing goalie went to his bench and she yelled "SHOOT THE PUCK! THERE'S NO GOALIE THERE!!!"

3.) The idiots in the bathroom during intermission. I'm taking a leak and I get slapped on the back by someone random. LET ME TAKE MY LEAK!

Ad

Upcoming events

Ad

Ad