pet peeves when I'm at a game

hawaii5hole

Mar 26, 2007
st.louis
I just wanted to get this off my chest.
it drives me nuts when people yell "shoot" every second during a power play, and boo the ref for a penalty every time someone falls. puck movement is key to the power play, and hey, they're playing on ice.. sometimes you just fall.
thanks for listening.

solventless710

Jan 5, 2005
it drives me nuts when people yell "shoot" every second during a power play, and boo the ref for a penalty every time someone falls. puck movement is key to the power play, and hey, they're playing on ice.. sometimes you just fall.
thanks for listening.

I really don't think those things are that big of deals. And sometimes, fans need to yell ''SHOOT!'' during the PP because a team can sometimes absolutely just keep passing the puck back and forth and not do anything productive. Fans want to see shots at the net and goals during a PP. Not passing for a whole 2 minutes. Booing the ref? It's part of the game. Why not do it? The worst things are little 5-year olds jumping up and down and screaming, being away fans and drunks annoying you all game, traffic to and after the game and food being expensive. Some reasons that HD can be better than going to the game. Ah, yes HD. No lines for food, no kids and no ticket prices.

Greeneye

May 17, 2006
Golden, CO
I really don't think those things are that big of deals. And sometimes, fans need to yell ''SHOOT!'' during the PP because a team can sometimes absolutely just keep passing the puck back and forth and not do anything productive. Fans want to see shots at the net and goals during a PP. Not passing for a whole 2 minutes. Booing the ref? It's part of the game. Why not do it? The worst things are little 5-year olds jumping up and down and screaming, being away fans and drunks annoying you all game, traffic to and after the game and food being expensive. Some reasons that HD can be better than going to the game. Ah, yes HD. No lines for food, no kids and no ticket prices.

Did you ever consider that yelling "shoot" and booing a ref might be annoying to some people? Did a 5 year old get a puck instead of you or something?

solventless710

Jan 5, 2005
Did you ever consider that yelling "shoot" and booing a ref might be annoying to some people?

I don't know, maybe if an 80-year-old is at the game. Usually, most of the capacity says ''SHOOT'', so I don't think it ''annoys'' anybody. I don't know, maybe it just seems that way to me...

stick9

Aug 12, 2004

Did you ever think that maybe the guys with the puck down on the ice have a better idea and better veiw of what's going on then some yahoo in the 3rd balcony working on his 6th Molson?

Yelling shoot and booing the ref's drive me nuts. Everyone always thinks the ref's are screwing them.

No-Twitch Tabitha

Jun 30, 2006
Winter Haven, FL

Yeah, Lightning. :)

Seriously, it's just part of being in a crowd of people. People are going to do what they're going to do, and it'll be amplified in their thousands.

Besides...there's always that "accidental" spill...*wicked grin*

Kenadyan

Jul 23, 2003
Asheboro, NC
Visit site
thanks for listening.

Yeah, me too. :sarcasm:

What they should be yelling is, "shoot the damned puck!!!!" :D

fullmetal2405

Feb 3, 2007
Edison, New Jersey
my pet peeve is... sorta like fans yelling "SHOOT!"

Last time I was at a Yankees game, Randy Johnson was pitching. Drunk guy a couple rows behind me was yelling "THROW A STRIKE!" As if he didn't know that's what he's supposed to do.

Moral of the story, they're getting paid millions, not you. Sure, boo the ref, that's part of the game, but I don't really see the point in yelling down to the players what to do. As if they're gonna be interviewed after the game:

"Yeah well on that goal, I didn't know what to do. Then the guy in Section 32 yelled 'shoot!' and I was like.... Dude. I should shoot."

I know I'm not gonna quiet everyone though :-\

And yes, I agree on the calling players by their first names u_u

hnat trick

Jun 7, 2006
One of the things that bugs me about Penguins games is when people do the wave. The other, of course, is yelling "shoot the puck" the instant they gain control in the offensive zone. It's really a fantastic indicator of whether people have any idea what they're talking about.

Hartford HockeyFan

Apr 14, 2006
thanks for listening.

Booing the ref and yelling "shoot" on a powerplay are not annoying to me. Booing the ref is a way to let him know who bad he sucks during a game. Yelling "shoot" during a powerplay can be helpful, because on a powerplay the team should shoot the puck rather than pass it the whole time. :yo:

It drives me nuts when people walk up the aisles or down the aisles when the game is going on. Wait for a damn stoppage in play before going back to your seat. :shakehead

solventless710

Jan 5, 2005
Seriously, it's just part of being in a crowd of people. People are going to do what they're going to do, and it'll be amplified in their thousands.

Yeah, exactly. Aren't the fans the ones that pay for these expensive ticket prices and parking fees? Who wants to see their team play like crap after paying good money? I'm sorry, but if you're annoyed by booing, it's simple... don't go! Booing is an inevitible thing and there's nothing you can do about it.

RJ8812*

Yelling "shoot" during a powerplay can be helpful, because on a powerplay the team should shoot the puck rather than pass it the whole time. :yo:

yes very helpful, telling the guy to shoot it when there's absolutely no shooting lane

you do realize passing it around is a good way to break down the box and open up a quality shooting lane, right?

deadinmi

Jan 23, 2005
Michigan
I have a kid who sits about 5 rows above my season tickets... He CONSTANTLY cheers "lets go lidstrom lets go" even when he isn't on the ice. And when lidstrom gets the puck he's like Yay! lidstrom! It is the most obnoxious thing EVER. Especially considering he's got that annoying about 6 years old voice. Everyone hates him, his dad doesn't let him cheer, but when he's with his mom, he does.

McNasty

Jan 20, 2007
Rutgers
For me it's people who don't sit back and block your view of the rink for one. Two it's that fat guy who always sits next to you and gives you zero leg room. Three i don't mind the fans yelling shoot but if it gets blocked or misses the net **** and don't boo you told em to shoot. I can't stand when fans haggle a player, and then don't appluade him when he does something right, you hate a guy fine but it goes both ways. Oh lets see what else........Ah of course, and for me this is the biggest pet peeve (it's a philly thing) Starting the ****ing Eagles chant because the team goes down 2-0. Noone cares that the Eagles had a good regular season, it's pretty much accepted they'll choke at some point so ****.

stick9

Aug 12, 2004
For me it's people who don't sit back and block your view of the rink for one. Two it's that fat guy who always sits next to you and gives you zero leg room. Three i don't mind the fans yelling shoot but if it gets blocked or misses the net **** and don't boo you told em to shoot. I can't stand when fans haggle a player, and then don't appluade him when he does something right, you hate a guy fine but it goes both ways. Oh lets see what else........Ah of course, and for me this is the biggest pet peeve (it's a philly thing) Starting the ****ing Eagles chant because the team goes down 2-0. Noone cares that the Eagles had a good regular season, it's pretty much accepted they'll choke at some point so ****.

I went to 12 games this year. Sat next to the fat guy three different times. Man I hate that...

Felonious Python

Minor League Degenerate
Aug 20, 2004
Armrest hogs. Years ago I had someone push my arm off and take the whole armrest saying that they had paid for the seat, so the armrest was theirs. I paid for my seat and I need an armrest too dammit!

Also people who will put their arm on the back of your seat like they were trying to make a move on you but don't even acknowledge you. But because of their personal space issues, you can't sit back or else they would be cradling you.

I've had someone push down on my knee to prop their fat ass out of the seat. People constantly standing annoys me but people who yell to the players to do things that don't happen in the sport bugs me too.

Last edited:

cbjfan97

Apr 7, 2007
nash-ville, OH
i have found many things that annoy me at games...but i have so much patience and compassion that it doesnt get to me more than in that moment.

however for sake of this thread, one big annoyance would be the people who yell and you know they have no clue about hockey, the team, or anything at all. people yelling "shoot" when we're moving the puck on a PP instead of taking shots (especially when there is still 1:30 in the PP) make me think about picking them up and tossing them down 20 rows, but you just gotta chalk it up to ignorance and move on. dont let people bring you down!

in my arena in particular, i would have to say the "O-H!" "I-O!" chants are absurd. i wish they were cheering for the entire state of ohio, cause then it would be ok, but that chant always starts when the CBJ are sucking it up or out of sheer boredom at a game and people have to associate everything with the buckeyes and insert them into every facet of their lives here in columbus....and there is nothing worse than cheering on another team that has nothing to do with the game you are at.

also, it irks me that the fans cheer louder for the dancing fat guy than the team they are watching. :shakehead

Methane

Jan 14, 2007
Fort Worth, TX
kinnee.net
My pet peeve, guys calling the players by their first name like they know them.

So what are people supposed to call them?

Mr. Chelios?
Mr. Modano?
3rd line left winger?
You, by the top of the left face off circle with the blue stick?
Hey, number 14!

I will say, in a face to face situation I always use Mr. SoAndSo.

But, I think people using their first name comes from listening to the "color" guys during broadcasts using their first names or nicknames.

Ad

Upcoming events

Ad

Ad

-->