Pessimism reigns!

BigFatCat999

First Fubu and now Pred303. !@#$! you cancer
Apr 23, 2007
Campbell, NY
I got bored and made a roster of worst case. .It.....honestly does not look that bad.

Forsberg says, 'Screw this, Imma out!' trade for 50% cap eating
Trade as many one year contracts as you can.
Ekholm traded with a wink, wink, acknowledgement he can come back home again.

Line up after the blow up:

Duchene-Johansen-Kunin
Tolvanen-Granlund-Tomassino
Trenin-Glass-Olivier
Jeannot-Sissons-Richard
Pitlick-Luff

Josi-Fabbro
Farrance-Myers
Harpur-Carrier
Davies

Saros
Ingram

I look at it and go, 'Not Great but better than Seattle.'

I'm not sure about trade value but I see Nashville getting two picks in each round.....

That being said, f*** that, tread water till trade deadline and improve.

Reactions: bdub24

predwings

Jan 26, 2011
Nashville TN
In that scenario I’d prefer to move Joey for more young talent because we’d be essentially looking at a much longer rebuild.

Bringer of Jollity

Oct 20, 2011
Fontana, CA
In that scenario I’d prefer to move Joey for more young talent because we’d be essentially looking at a much longer rebuild.
Unless Johansen's production increases we aren't getting any "young talent" back without attaching a pick/prospect or major retention. Since the Preds don't appear to do salary retention, that would be counterproductive.

nine_inch_fang

HFBoards Sponsor
Sponsor
Oct 8, 2004
Nashville
I got bored and made a roster of worst case. .It.....honestly does not look that bad.

Forsberg says, 'Screw this, Imma out!' trade for 50% cap eating
Trade as many one year contracts as you can.
Ekholm traded with a wink, wink, acknowledgement he can come back home again.

Line up after the blow up:

Duchene-Johansen-Kunin
Tolvanen-Granlund-Tomassino
Trenin-Glass-Olivier
Jeannot-Sissons-Richard
Pitlick-Luff

Josi-Fabbro
Farrance-Myers
Harpur-Carrier
Davies

Saros
Ingram

I look at it and go, 'Not Great but better than Seattle.'

I'm not sure about trade value but I see Nashville getting two picks in each round.....

That being said, f*** that, tread water till trade deadline and improve.
You want the Preds to trade Forsberg AND retain salary?

Maybe we should rename this thread "Hot Takes!!!" then people will know to ignore it.

Reactions: Porter Stoutheart

Predsanddead24

Mar 7, 2019

Maybe we should rename this thread "Hot Takes!!!" then people will know to ignore it.

Well if Forsberg were to essentially to tell us he wants to test the market then why wouldn’t we retain half his salary in a trade other than team finance considerations? It’s not like we’re up against the cap and it would definitely increase his value.

Armourboy

Hey! You suck!
Jan 20, 2014
Shelbyville, TN
Well if Forsberg were to essentially to tell us he wants to test the market then why wouldn’t we retain half his salary in a trade other than team finance considerations? It’s not like we’re up against the cap and it would definitely increase his value.
The main reason is you are talking about Poile, who has never retained on anyone.

Reactions: nine_inch_fang

nine_inch_fang

HFBoards Sponsor
Sponsor
Oct 8, 2004
Nashville
I guess it depends on what point in the season you're doing the trade, how much you have to eat, and what the increased value is. Seems to me you should be able to get full value without the salary retention for him if it's a sign/trade type deal. That's the smart play, Forsberg shouldn't be considered just a rental player. For f***'s sake just send him to LA on a sign/trade deal and he can watch Arvidsson's career end right in front of his eyes..

BigFatCat999

Apr 23, 2007
Campbell, NY

I'm starting to think you and Ports have a vendetta against me. LOL!

1) If the above were to happen, Nashville weaponizes the cap. Forsberg goes for a 1st and 3rd in my trade.

2) If the above happens Nashville would be at risk of falling BELOW cap floor

3) I also noted that I would not do the above but you did not read that. It's ok, I have been guilty of that as well.

Porter Stoutheart

We Got Wood
Jun 14, 2017
I guess it depends on what point in the season you're doing the trade, how much you have to eat, and what the increased value is. Seems to me you should be able to get full value without the salary retention for him if it's a sign/trade type deal. That's the smart play, Forsberg shouldn't be considered just a rental player. For f***'s sake just send him to LA on a sign/trade deal and he can watch Arvidsson's career end right in front of his eyes..
Yeah, if we get to Zombie Apocalypse and we are trading Forsberg... we should definitely retain the MAX amount possible to maximize our futures return on the trade.

Hopefully it never comes to that. But if it does, so what, we have $10M++ in empty Cap space, so we should definitely be willing to use that to maximize the trade return we get.

Predsanddead24

Mar 7, 2019
The main reason is you are talking about Poile, who has never retained on anyone.

Didn’t we retain when we traded Dubnyk to Montreal? But yes that may be the limiting factor. Still there isn’t any real good reason we wouldn’t retain other than some sort of organizational philosophy.

Porter Stoutheart

We Got Wood
Jun 14, 2017
I'm starting to think you and Ports have a vendetta against me. LOL!

1) If the above were to happen, Nashville weaponizes the cap. Forsberg goes for a 1st and 3rd in my trade.

2) If the above happens Nashville would be at risk of falling BELOW cap floor

3) I also noted that I would not do the above but you did not read that. It's ok, I have been guilty of that as well.
I don't have any vendettas. Well, there are 3 or 4 posters on my "LTIR" that I don't bother to read... just because... not exactly vendettas either, just don't want to waste the time. :)

But fwiw I would definitely want more than 1st+3rd in a Forsberg trade. I still feel like he's a "SUPAHSTAH" in most cities. Yeah, we suck for offense from F here. But he'd kill it on many other teams. I at least want that "1st" to be franchise-calibre top-5 pick, or equivalent "bluechip" prospect. We haven't got there yet with anybody. But that's my initial ask.

Armourboy

Hey! You suck!
Jan 20, 2014
Shelbyville, TN
Didn’t we retain when we traded Dubnyk to Montreal? But yes that may be the limiting factor. Still there isn’t any real good reason we wouldn’t retain other than some sort of organizational philosophy.

Apparently we did, but as far as I can tell that's the only one, it was only 875k, and that was 6 or 7 years ago. Poile took a lesser deal to not retain on Subban so I wouldn't hold my breath thinking he would.

Predsanddead24

Mar 7, 2019
Apparently we did, but as far as I can tell that's the only one, it was only 875k, and that was 6 or 7 years ago. Poile took a lesser deal to not retain on Subban so I wouldn't hold my breath thinking he would.

Yeah although there’s a bit of a difference between retaining on multiple years as would be the case for Subban and a single year like it would be for Forsberg.

Reactions: GoldOnGold

Armourboy

Hey! You suck!
Jan 20, 2014
Shelbyville, TN
Yeah although there’s a bit of a difference between retaining on multiple years as would be the case for Subban and a single year like it would be for Forsberg.

Well and technically with Dubnyck we probably didn't actually pay him that much, that was just the cap hit because by that point you are mostly through the season. Honestly wouldn't shock me if it wasn't even 100k in actual dollars. Forsberg would be a bit more than that and at a time when income has been horrible.

That last bit could have him moving him much quicker than normal to try and save the owners money on a guy that doesn't want to be here. Not to mention it would allow you to evaluate another player for most of a year instead of a month.

Viqsi

"that chick from Ohio"
Oct 5, 2007
40N 83W (approx)
Unless Johansen's production increases we aren't getting any "young talent" back without attaching a pick/prospect or major retention. Since the Preds don't appear to do salary retention, that would be counterproductive.
Well, in this scenario, salary is being retained on Forsberg, so we're already stretching into the fantastic and strange. :)

All that said, "better than Seattle" isn't exactly a high bar to clear.

BigFatCat999

Apr 23, 2007
Campbell, NY
But fwiw I would definitely want more than 1st+3rd in a Forsberg trade. I still feel like he's a "SUPAHSTAH" in most cities. Yeah, we suck for offense from F here. But he'd kill it on many other teams. I at least want that "1st" to be franchise-calibre top-5 pick, or equivalent "bluechip" prospect. We haven't got there yet with anybody. But that's my initial ask.

and every team will say nope to your face and behind your back offer superstar money when he hits FA. May I just need a break from people, I have been dreaming about atomic weapon design and weaponizing Uranium.

PredsV82

Rest easy, 303, and thank you.
Sponsor
Aug 13, 2007
Schroedingers box
Forsberg will pull more than a 1st and 3rd mainly because every team in the league will want to try and get him.

The only way we get a big return from Fil is if we get two or more teams bidding against each other. Numbers wise hes not an elite forward right now. We over value him because we know we are screwed without him. Hes very good, but we wouldnt get a Seth Jones type return for him. A first and a decent prospect is what I'd expect

Armourboy

Hey! You suck!
Jan 20, 2014
Shelbyville, TN
The only way we get a big return from Fil is if we get two or more teams bidding against each other. Numbers wise hes not an elite forward right now. We over value him because we know we are screwed without him. Hes very good, but we wouldnt get a Seth Jones type return for him. A first and a decent prospect is what I'd expect
You would have multiple teams bidding on him. He may not be elite but how often do you see a 1st line winger up like that? Generally what you see moved at the deadline is depth guys, maybe a 2nd line winger at best. He has no NTC/NMC to get in the way either.

Porter Stoutheart

We Got Wood
Jun 14, 2017
You would have multiple teams bidding on him. He may not be elite but how often do you see a 1st line winger up like that? Generally what you see moved at the deadline is depth guys, maybe a 2nd line winger at best. He has no NTC/NMC to get in the way either.
No clauses, and by the time we retained 50% and you're pro-rating at the trade deadline, he's coming in with under $1M hit, for a scoring winger with size who has generally produced in the playoffs, and at 27 some teams in the process would be able to contemplate trying to sign him.

Of course, we have to hope a) he just extends with us in the next month, and failing that b) he has a really good season to keep that value up/show he's worth that fat extension we gave him.

nine_inch_fang

HFBoards Sponsor
Sponsor
Oct 8, 2004
Nashville
The fact that the premise of this pessimism is that Fil is mad about the Arvidsson trade and wants out of town all because of the thumbs down picture he post is such an overthink.

This is how fanbases get distorted ideas of players being a cancer in the locker room or having an attitude. People dwell on one comment and extrapolate that into something much bigger than it is.

Porter Stoutheart

We Got Wood
Jun 14, 2017
The fact that the premise of this pessimism is that Fil is mad about the Arvidsson trade and wants out of town all because of the thumbs down picture he post is such an overthink.

This is how fanbases get distorted ideas of players being a cancer in the locker room or having an attitude. People dwell on one comment and extrapolate that into something much bigger than it is.
I think there's a legitimate basis for discussing this without overthinking the pout factor. We don't know what kind of contract Forsberg will want, or what kind he should get, or what the organization will be willing to offer. I've said many times on this board that I'm comfortable extending him for 8 years as our highest-paid forward at $8.5M. But that's definitely a matter that is worth debating independent of trying to read Forsberg's mind. Do we want another huge deal like that on the books for a player who will be 36 at the end of it? Fair question.

Reactions: Gh24

nine_inch_fang

HFBoards Sponsor
Sponsor
Oct 8, 2004
Nashville
I think there's a legitimate basis for discussing this without overthinking the pout factor. We don't know what kind of contract Forsberg will want, or what kind he should get, or what the organization will be willing to offer. I've said many times on this board that I'm comfortable extending him for 8 years as our highest-paid forward at $8.5M. But that's definitely a matter that is worth debating independent of trying to read Forsberg's mind. Do we want another huge deal like that on the books for a player who will be 36 at the end of it? Fair question.
Agreed, discussing ideas on contract details is much different than the title, original post, and majority of the content in this thread.

PredsV82

Rest easy, 303, and thank you.
Sponsor
Aug 13, 2007
Schroedingers box

Look at the Mark Stone return. 2nd plus an A prospect. I'd say that's a reasonable comparison.

Porter Stoutheart

We Got Wood
Jun 14, 2017
Look at the Mark Stone return. 2nd plus an A prospect. I'd say that's a reasonable comparison.
Yes, this is what I was talking about. Brannstrom at that time was at the pinnacle of his prospect hype and really viewed as a top bluechip prospect similar to a top-5 draft pick. Although his stock has subsequently fallen off, he was that highly rated at the time. I think we have to secure a bluechip prospect on that order in any trade, if it comes to that.

Ad

Upcoming events

Ad

Ad