Pesce slewfoot

bleedgreen

Dec 8, 2003
colorado
Visit site
Well I’ve watched about every one of Pesce’s games and he’s one of my favorites. He got off light on that one, likely because he’s never been involved in anything like it despite playing heavy minutes his whole career.

Fabbri must’ve done something to get him riled up, but I never saw it. That’s the only explanation I can think of for his complete lack of caring if it got seen. It’s like he knew he’d get called and didn’t care because it was worth it to him.

GoldenSeal

Believe In The Note
Dec 1, 2013
Out West
Yeah unfortunately there's absolutely zero alternatives between tolerating slewfoots and saying a player should be given a lifetime ban for one instance.

The fact the player did it openly and boldly, who didn't care if they injured or ended Fabbri's career by doing it is NOT a player who deserves to be in the NHL.

THAT is the problem I have with this and the fact you're trying to play games with it and lessen the possible damage because Fabbri didn't get injured as far as we know, sickens me.

stl76

No. 5 in your programs, No. 1 in your hearts
Jul 2, 2015
Punishment doesn't seem to fit the crime in this case. Pesce got off light.

bleedgreen

Dec 8, 2003
colorado
Visit site
Well there’s some overreaction to the leagues under reaction. The league always gives people warnings before they go big on suspensions. Pesce has a clean record well into his career. Of course they weren’t going to throw the book at him.

Reactions: DaveG and Tryamw

Lazlo Hollyfeld

The jersey ad still sucks
Mar 4, 2004
So this pretty much confirm the DOPS only cares whether or not there's an injury
Exactly.

Bad on Fabbri for being able to fall on his side and not crack his head on the ice I guess.

"Dangerous trip." good lord. You couldn't have a more textbook slewfoot if you tried.

Reactions: GoldenSeal

GoldenSeal

Believe In The Note
Dec 1, 2013
Out West
Well there’s some overreaction to the leagues under reaction. The league always gives people warnings before they go big on suspensions. Pesce has a clean record well into his career. Of course they weren’t going to throw the book at him.

Given how blatant and bold the slewfoot was, it shouldn't have mattered if he had a record or not, they should have thrown the book at him just out of general principle, if nothing else. He went out of his way to show it was deliberate. You don't slap people on the wrist for that.

13th Floor

Oct 10, 2008

Shouldn't that depend on the severity of the infraction? So if he just stabs him in the neck with his skate then all good as long as he has no prior history?

Woodrow

Dec 8, 2005
This is so obvious that I think there should have been a longer than normal suspension. A fine is a joke.

bleedgreen

Dec 8, 2003
colorado
Visit site
Shouldn't that depend on the severity of the infraction? So if he just stabs him in the neck with his skate then all good as long as he has no prior history?
Well that’s a bit dramatic of you....but whatever. . You’d have to really hurt someone (a stab wound to the neck would probably get it done) which clearly didn’t happen here. Injuries factor pretty heavily with them too. I don’t say I agree with any of it, just pointing out the obvious.

In fact, getting up in arms about this particular one is a bit ridiculous. The history speaks for itself, why anyone expected a suspension when Pesce has a clean slate and Fabbri wasn’t injured is curious at best.

Reactions: DaveG and Tryamw

GIN ANTONIC

Aug 19, 2007
Toronto, ON
On TSN last night Dreger said the reason the DoPS didn’t call it a ‘slew foot’ and give a more severe punishment is because Pesce didn’t ‘aggressively’ throw Faabri’s upper body downward. Like... he definitely used his arm to push him back to cause him to fall backwards in conjunction with the skate trip.... but it wasn’t done so ‘aggressively’ so just a fine and nothing further. What a bunch of idiots.

As a Canes fan I really hope the org and/or Pesce address this and do at least some of the following...

- Acknowledge the incident and the careless and reckless nature of it
- Apologize to Fabbri publicly or privately
- Increase the amount fined
- Pesce sits for a game

Reactions: Tryamw

Nut Upstrom

You dirty dog!
Dec 18, 2010
Florida
Yea! And A Gofundme page should be set up right now to pay that fine. After all, dude's a clean player and his first fine should be on us.

Hockey Stick

Jan 3, 2018
Pretty dumb move by Pesce. I'm surprised DoPS isn't fining Fabbri for diving or something instead

FMichael

Dec 22, 2010
Wisconsin
Am I the only one who'd rather see Pesce get a solid beat-down where he loses some teeth, or gets a broken nose instead of the obligatory meeting with player safety, and the subsequent fine/suspension?

Then again the Red Wings roster doesn't have anyone capable of doing that...

FMichael

Dec 22, 2010
Wisconsin
First thing that came to mind when I saw this thread title

1_cvQ7j4OX8Or6i2d7sihUSA.0.0.0.jpeg
lol - you're a funny guy ...

AhosDatsyukian

Sep 25, 2020
Really stupid and dangerous by Pesce. Not consistent with who he's been as a player his entire career up to this point so I have no idea what was going through his mind or what happened but I'd be surprised if he ever does anything like this again. Definitely deserved the penalty, fine and I would've been cool with a 1 game suspension. I can only laugh at those calling for a permanent ban or multi-game suspension, that's absurd.

Ad

Upcoming events

Ad

Ad

-->