Confirmed with Link: Perunovich (1/1/$750k), Walker, Angello, Highmore, McLaughlin signed/re-signed

Blueston

HFBoards Sponsor
Sponsor
Dec 4, 2016
Houston, TX
Two interesting aspects to me: 1, Perunovich is one-way deal. So presumably they see him in top 6. And 2, Walker is extension that is one-way for 23-24. This suggests to me they maybe don't see him staying up with big club all season this year but they like him as depth and want to dissuade clubs from claiming him.

BlueDream

Aug 30, 2011
Two interesting aspects to me: 1, Perunovich is one-way deal. So presumably they see him in top 6. And 2, Walker is extension that is one-way for 23-24. This suggests to me they maybe don't see him staying up with big club all season this year but they like him as depth and want to dissuade clubs from claiming him.
Well the Perunovich thing isn't surprising to me. He's about to turn 24 and tore up the AHL, he has nothing to prove there.

He needs NHL games and we need to figure out whether he's an NHL player or not, so he needs to either play games with us or get traded to a different NHL team to do that, and we get a forward in return that may be in a similar situation.

But again, this is another reason Scandella needs to be moved. We have 7 d-men. Leddy, Parayko, Krug, Faulk, Mikkola, Bortuzzo, Perunovich. That's all we need. Rosen, Santini and Tucker in the AHL as well as guys like Kessel and Lyle. That's enough depth.

Linkens Mastery

Conductor of the TankTown Express
Jan 15, 2014
Hyrule
Blues about to trade Krug to Boston for a top 6 forward run Leddy-Scandella-Perunovich and the Blues Fandom erupts in eternal anguish

Linkens Mastery

Conductor of the TankTown Express
Jan 15, 2014
Hyrule
I say this completely unironically: Springfield should be a real treat to watch this next season. Not even from a prospect development mindset, just on pure high end AHL talent.
100% the amount of AHL/NHL tweener depth is going to be nasty.

Leivo and Highmore are good AHL/NHL tweeners I'd probably even say closer to NHL talent.

Reactions: GoldenSeal

Majorityof1

Mar 6, 2014
Central Florida
So we still have Mikkola, Kostin and Todd as unsigned RFAs. We also need some depth on defense in the AHL. We don't currently have even 6 guys signed if we run 8 in the NHL. Rosen, Tucker, Santini, Lyle, and Kessel is it.

m1a2lt

Jul 13, 2009
So we still have Mikkola, Kostin and Todd as unsigned RFAs. We also need some depth on defense in the AHL. We don't currently have even 6 guys signed if we run 8 in the NHL. Rosen, Tucker, Santini, Lyle, and Kessel is it.

Springfield also have Cross and Luce signed for next season for D and Callin and Guy for F.

stl76

No. 5 in your programs, No. 1 in your hearts
Jul 2, 2015
Highmore was a good player for us last year and I was surprised he wasn't qualified. Highmore-Lammikko-Motte were basically playing 3rd line minutes for about 30 games and did very well. Very good skater, good motor, responsible defensive player. Surprised he had to take a two-way.
Thanks, appreciate the info!

Reactions: MS

puckerdude10

Feb 22, 2010
Columbia
I agree with your first statement that the team has Perunovich pegged for a good chunk of playing time this year. They need to determine what they have and hopefully continue his development and maybe get some impact minutes from him as the year progresses.

I disagree with the bolded portion however. I think the extension shows they plan to keep Walker up as one of our 14 and that he is expected to play a decent amount, possibly even in the top 9. Lock him in to a cheap deal now, after what we saw last year, and before he puts up decent numbers requiring a larger raise.

I actually think Walker, Kostin and Neighbours will be fighting for the last top 9 spot.

If they put Barbie back on the 4th line to get more balance than 2 of those 3 would be in the top 9 barring more trades or signings. For the record I think Barbie will stay in the top 9, but thats how I see our forward group shaking out as it currently sits.

I still think there is a good possibility we have another move coming, but that may be dependent on other teams playing ball so no guarantee it happens.

joe galiba

Apr 16, 2020
I think perunovich will play a decent amount of time on the right side with scandella this year
(unless one or both are traded)

execwrite1

Mar 30, 2018
Matt Kessell could get some NHL minutes this year. He's close to ready. Brady Lyle could fill in for injuries as well (maybe). There is some right-shot D-man depth in Springfield.

ItsOnlytheRiver

Mar 25, 2010
Does the 1-way preclude Perunovich from being sent down? I thought it just meant he always pulls in an NHL paycheck regardless of which roster he is on. Not sure of his waiver status.

Stupendous Yappi

Idiot Control Now!
Sponsor
Aug 23, 2018
Erwin, TN
Does the 1-way preclude Perunovich from being sent down? I thought it just meant he always pulls in an NHL paycheck regardless of which roster he is on. Not sure of his waiver status.
Yeah, it just means he makes his NHL salary even while assigned to the AHL. Waiver exemption has nothing to do with his contact.

Brian39

Apr 24, 2014
I don't understand how Scotty P signed for only league minimum...
He turns 24 before the start of the season and has been a pro player for 2 years. In those 2 years he has played 43 total games between the AHL and NHL (playoffs included). He has proven nearly nothing in the NHL beyond potential upside, he's had multiple significant injuries and 24 is a bit old to be paying for upside. He had no arbitration rights.

Why wouldn't he get league minimum?

bleedblue1223

Jan 21, 2011
Perunovich is probably just happy to be on a 1-way deal. He has a guaranteed big pay raise, as it was no guarantee that he'd be on the big club for the full season. He has 37 NHL games left where he doesn't have to go through waivers, could easily see him starting in the minors again to get consistent playing time and getting called up either when injuries hit or he destroys that league again.

Reactions: ChicagoBlues

Ad

Upcoming events

Ad

Ad