Perspective as we approach the trade deadline

raymond23

:o
Sponsor
Sep 28, 2017
Grand Rapids, MI
I think it's important we take a step back and appreciate what we've witnessed this season.

If you would have told me at the beginning of the season that we'd enter March and...
  • Larkin would be on a 45 goal, 95 point pace (top 10 in even strength points)
  • Bertuzzi would be on a 40 goal, 80 point pace
  • Seider would be on a 60 point pace, 23+ minutes a night, #1d at 20 years old
  • Raymond would be on a 65 point pace, top line winger, at 19 years old
...I would have said you were dreaming.

This season has been freaking awesome. It's nice to actually feel positive about Red Wings hockey again. Looking forward to the next step in the Yzerplan.

jkutswings

hot piss hockey
Jul 10, 2014
Totally agree. It's great to finally have some confirmed core pieces to go with the process of unloading dead weight and hoarding picks.

Reactions: raymond23

Lil Bert

Oct 14, 2018
Yup! I'm ecstatic about how the teams performed and it's all because of those four guys. Knock on wood, but I think that the players we got were made to be winners. I do not see us in a Buffalo scenario anytime soon with these pieces. Insulate them with some talent and in a few years we'll be set.

Because we want to insulate these guys I would like to see us hold on to some of these secondary players instead of sell for nothing. Fabbri should stay and I wouldn't sell Leddy for less than a 3rd. It is more important for these young guys to stay competitive than some chump change draft picks.

OgeeOgelthorpe

Baldina
Feb 29, 2020
It gives me hope to see the top line guys playing like premier top line guys.

Larkin is playing more like a more defensively responsible Nathan Mackinnon than a rich man’s Todd Marchand.

Raymond and Seider have exceeded expectations by far.

Bertuzzi is looking like a legit top line winger that would thrive anywhere.

Goaltending also looked great from Ned for the first 35 or so games but our defense hasn’t done him any favors lately.

Team depth continues to be a problem, but you get what you pay for. Considering Detroit is a damn near cap floor team playing .500 hockey they’re doing great

Realgud

Jersey ads are a disgrace
Nov 4, 2013
realguddraftsimulator.com
I think it's important we take a step back and appreciate what we've witnessed this season.

If you would have told me at the beginning of the season that we'd enter March and...

This season has been freaking awesome. It's nice to actually feel positive about Red Wings hockey again. Looking forward to the next step in the Yzerplan.

Larkin really caught me off guard. I would have never guessed he would flirt with being top 10 in goals in the entire NHL. He's a ridiculously good finisher now, he rarely misses his chances. Can you imagine how many goals he could score if the rookies keep developing and team keep improving? A better PP? More puck moving defensemen? Larkin is seriously impressive. Anyhow, I expected that production from a top-6er Ray, and same for a healthy Bert. But Seider definitely suprised me a little too, I expected something more like 40 points, not a 60 points pace. Wtf.

This season has been quite fun.

Shaman464

No u
May 1, 2009
Boston, MA
Don't count your chickens on players that are having insane departures from career shooting percentages, or rookies. Just look at people last season and even early this season talking about McDavid being a 150-200 point player this season based on his last year and start of this season. And now McDavid isn't even on pace to match Kuch's season in 2018-19 if he doesn't really pick it up. Same with Nyquists explosion when he first hit the NHL.

That being said Mo is legit and that is a huge thing for this team.

OgeeOgelthorpe

Baldina
Feb 29, 2020
Don't count your chickens on players that are having insane departures from career shooting percentages, or rookies. Just look at people last season and even early this season talking about McDavid being a 150-200 point player this season based on his last year and start of this season. And now McDavid isn't even on pace to match Kuch's season in 2018-19 if he doesn't really pick it up. Same with Nyquists explosion when he first hit the NHL.

Poopypants party pooper.

odin1981

There can be only 1!
Mar 8, 2013
Canton Mi
Pretty sure I called some people out for their absurdly lofty point expectations for Seider... There's no way he'll get 40 points, I said. Temper your expectations, I told them. I'd be shocked if he gets 30, etc.

Never knew crow tasted so good.

Me too I figured mid 40's in his prime. Lol nope :laugh:.

Gniwder

Oct 12, 2009
Bellingham, WA

SH% is higher because everyone's shooting closer to the crease, I'm pretty sure Alex has something to do with that, his career SH% is 18.6% which places him 21st all time. Bert and Larkin are shooting at that same level.

So I don't think it's a complete fluke, but I too expect it to go down next season, but not all the way back to their previous career average.

Reactions: 14ari13

Pavels Dog

Feb 18, 2013
Sweden
This season has been freaking awesome. It's nice to actually feel positive about Red Wings hockey again.
Yep. Even many of the losses have actually been entertaining games and watching the historic rookie seasons of Seider/Raymond is amazing.. we're gonna look back at this as a big turning point for the franchise.

SCD

Apr 8, 2018
Sell, and sell hard.

Larkin, Seider, and Raymond would be the only current players that are off limits.

PelagicJoe

Mar 20, 2012
St. Louis, MO
I'm thinking the deadline will be relatively quiet for us this year. Leddy and Vlad are the only ones that might get moved unless someone really wants our pending trash UFAs that badly. Stevie is a shark though, so we shall see.

Henkka

Jan 31, 2004
Tampere, Finland
Team depth continues to be a problem, but you get what you pay for. Considering Detroit is a damn near cap floor team playing .500 hockey they’re doing great

Would be interesting to do some relative cap math, like total payroll versus points percentage. How high would we be.

Spirit19

Feb 13, 2022

It really has been remarkable. Just need another 19 guys. LOL

Ad

Upcoming events

Ad

Ad