Persona Series

The Macho King

Back* to Back** World Champion
Jun 22, 2011
And you're free to disagree.
I only played Persona 5 and now am halfway into 4G, so I dont have any clue about the overall SMT Series, Shuffle Time just works better for me.
I wasn't meaning that as a slag to you by any stretch. It's just - having played these games for like... 20 years now? - negotiations are as core part of the experience as fusion to me. I could understand how someone without the same background in the series would feel differently, though.

samabam

May 3, 2006
Munich
I wasn't meaning that as a slag to you by any stretch. It's just - having played these games for like... 20 years now? - negotiations are as core part of the experience as fusion to me. I could understand how someone without the same background in the series would feel differently, though.
Oh, I wasn't offended, just stating my opinion, I dont want to go soul hurting other people ;)

As I said, I started with Persona 5, liked it, bought a PSTV and 4G, am enjoying it, my connection to the SMT Series does not go deeper than that.
I find the shadow negotation in 5 very frustrating, because it's a total shot in the dark for me, Shuffle Time is way easier, but personally I like the challenge of keeping a sweep bonus alive for as long as possible.

samabam

May 3, 2006
Munich
The river and sea guardians tried to break my spirit, but I persevered.
Now I am at the 5th of November, people who played the game will know what happens on that evening...and this so shortly after Maxing Hierophants and Justice Social Links....It'll be very hard to stop playing tonight

H3ckt1k

Jan 9, 2015
Been listening to a ton of the Persona 5 music again, I swear all of the music just makes me feel so nostalgic about the game. Tempted to start another playthrough.

Big McLargehuge

Fragile Traveler
May 9, 2002
S. Pasadena, CA
I still can't believe this series manages to get me to care about rhythm games (my rhythm game experience outside of the Persona games: I played the PaRappa demo a ton back in 1997...that's it aside from plastic guitars and drums).

This will be the first and likely only time I'll ever complain about my TV being too big, though...

Reactions: samabam

samabam

May 3, 2006
Munich
I still can't believe this series manages to get me to care about rhythm games (my rhythm game experience outside of the Persona games: I played the PaRappa demo a ton back in 1997...that's it aside from plastic guitars and drums).

This will be the first and likely only time I'll ever complain about my TV being too big, though...

I'm right there with you. Never played a rhythm game in my life (except Guitar Hero) but I enjoy the music so much and I like spending time with these characters again, that 5D and 4D have me captivated right now

Turin

Feb 27, 2018
Who here has played Persona 3? Downloaded P3P to my Vita, hoping to play through it soon.

Big McLargehuge

Fragile Traveler
May 9, 2002
S. Pasadena, CA
Who here has played Persona 3? Downloaded P3P to my Vita, hoping to play through it soon.

That's the version I played. It's a little difficult going back playing P3 after the 4 and/or 5 because of a lot of quality of life improvements that are not in P3...but it's still a great game with a quality story & themes. I know a couple people who consider it their favorite Persona game.

My replacement Vita finally came in from Japan and I'm itching for a P4G replay after finally beating P3P over the holidays.

Reactions: Turin

Oogie Boogie

Apr 9, 2011
Persona 3 still had a really good story, but there may be times when you will be banging your head on the wall over what your AI team members do since you can't directly control what they will do every turn.

Reactions: Turin

Turin

Feb 27, 2018
That's the version I played. It's a little difficult going back playing P3 after the 4 and/or 5 because of a lot of quality of life improvements that are not in P3...but it's still a great game with a quality story & themes. I know a couple people who consider it their favorite Persona game.

My replacement Vita finally came in from Japan and I'm itching for a P4G replay after finally beating P3P over the holidays.

Where I’m at is I’m trying to play P3P but.. I also want to finish ng+ P4G and max out social links finally to get the best ending.

sabresfan129103

1-4-6-14
Apr 10, 2006
Amherst, NY
Man, RL stuff has been getting in the way and I've had no time to play, but I picked up Persona 5 for the 3rd time. Luckily I still remember the story pretty well. Just finished off the 5th palace. I'm not putting this one down again. I think I can probably power through the rest in about 20 hours. I'm dying to know how this game ends.

DJ Spinoza

Aug 7, 2003
I bought Persona 5 when it was on sale for ~20 bucks several months ago (actually got it cheaper because I had a discount code that came w/buying the Spiderman console bundle), thinking that I might dip into it during the summer, when I'm free of the academic year and basically just working on my research and watching baseball.

Yesterday I decided to give it a whirl because I had an unexpected day off, and had planned to play RDR2, but didn't factor the necessity of downloading a huge patch in order to be able to start.

I played it for 5 hours last night, and now I don't want to do the grading and research work I need to get done today. I think I'm in trouble. (And the game hasn't even fully opened up yet, I'm still halfway(?) through the long introductory part... Ann just joined the party. So the social spectrum stuff, which was what had me a bit skeptical about the game, hasn't opened up much yet, but I've wasted an hour reading random things about the game this morning, and based on my experience last night, I think I get the whole scope of things a bit more than I did when I was just reading about it.)

Last edited:

Commander Clueless

Hiya, hiya. Pleased to meetcha.
Sep 10, 2008
Yeah, not to be the naysayer, but starting P5 whilst having other pressing responsibilities may have been a huge mistake. :laugh:

syz

[1, 5, 6, 14]
Jul 13, 2007
Persona has been harmful to people's responsibilities since 3. The calendar system gets people into a "just one more day" mode and then suddenly it's 4 am.

Reactions: S E P H

DJ Spinoza

Aug 7, 2003
Luckily I was able to mostly harness it into some productive procrastination today. I finished what I needed to do and only tucked 1.5 hours in this afternoon, opening up a lot of time for tonight. I'm on "spring" break as of the end of next week, though, which is good and bad: I can maybe make some more productive procrastinating sessions like this, but I'm probably not going to do the intensive-write-my-dissertation push I was planning on.

One thing I'm currently pondering is whether/when to utilize multiple save files. Despite the fact that I already know I will sink a lot of time into this in the coming months, I also can't see myself tweaking excessively with things that I don't love how they turn out. I think I'll mostly just try and play through with the decisions I make. It seems like from reading around, the game after game is worthwhile, and people who love it play through multiple times.

DJ Spinoza

Aug 7, 2003
I got my first brutal lesson last night re: risking it with too little SP. Pushed far into the first palace, hoping to find a safe room, but when I got to the last section, I decided to beat a bunch of the cavalry guys, who sapped Joker's SP because I had to keep using the ice move from the one persona to kill them efficiently. Then I got inside the tower, hoping there'd be a quick save room, but encountered some kind of prostitute demons who caused my part to attack themselves, and Joker was quickly killed without me being able to do much.

I think I screwed up a little bit by raising some money and buying solid weapons and accessories before even going in the palace for the first time. Would have been better to go straight in and then duck back out when necessary to rest up. Still, I was about halfway with a level 7 party when I last saved, and I think I have 6-7 days still to finish it, so I can proceed more cautiously and take less risks next time.

DJ Spinoza

Aug 7, 2003
One thing I don't quite have a handle on is Mementos. I forgot to explore them before the second palace, so I've only been the one time. While I was waiting as Makoto's story unfolding in the leadup to the third palace, it kept rejecting the option of "explore Mementos" from the hideout, and now I have the palace available, but it still won't let me go to Mementos. Am I missing out on something obvious here? Can I only go when I have secured the infiltration route to the palace but prior to sending the calling card?

Edit: I think I managed to figure this out - I needed to view the requests I had from Mishima in order to prompt entering Mementos... though then because I was able to clobber most of the enemies, I ended up sweeping through a small chunk of it, including all three of my requests, so now I assume I need more in order to go back in? Is there a certain period of time where you can just grind in Mementos for exp/yen/treasure?

Last edited:

DJ Spinoza

Aug 7, 2003
Just beat P5 tonight – quite a ride, well worth it, even if the end did maybe have some pacing issues. I might have overleveled, and having a bunch of SP items left at the end certainly made things quicker than they could have been. I was kind of wishing I had gone for a more challenging game mode (and I know you can switch mid-game), but I guess that's what a future play through is for.

It seems like there was some announcement about an announcement related to an updated version?

Reactions: Commander Clueless

syz

[1, 5, 6, 14]
Jul 13, 2007
It seems like there was some announcement about an announcement related to an updated version?

Yea they've been announcing announcements for a couple months along with there being a bunch of leaks and rumours so it hasn't been especially worth paying attention to. I think an updated version maybe the only more or less confirmed thing? But probably a couple other announcements during their annual concert thingy.

Reactions: DJ Spinoza

Turin

Feb 27, 2018
So the rumor is that P5 Royal is a PS4 exclusive and P5 original is getting ported to the Switch. I would have been able to sell my PS4 if P5R wasn’t exclusive..

Last edited:

Ad

Upcoming events

Ad

Ad

-->