Perry / Bernier

Status
Not open for further replies.

Buffalo87

thehosers dot com
Mar 22, 2006
Rochester
NashisCash said:
Frankly I don't think you know what you're talking about. Bernier doesn't get that much ice time and he's on the second powerplay unit. With the 1st powerplay unit consisting of Cheechoo and Thornton, Bernier usually sees limited time at the end of each man advantage. Getzlaf plays the point on the 1st powerplay unit.

As for points per game, Bernier hardly put up any points over his first 10 games, and was 2nd in goals in the ENTIRE NHL in March. If you scratch off those first 10 games where he didn't get much ice time, he was pretty much a point per game player.

Getzlaf over Bernier is really silly, especially for the reasons you've given. The two are very comparable talents in my opinion.

You make it sound like Getzlaf isn't in the same league as Bernier. Ok, so maybe I don't take Getzlaf over Bernier EASILY but if you give me a choice between the two I'm definitly taking Getzlaf. A player sees most of his ice time at even strength, so who has the advantage? Bernier plays with Marleau and Michalek compared to Getzlaf who plays with Perry and Fedoruk. So, yes Getzlaf has more opportunity on the PP, but Bernier has more opportunity at even strength. And if the two are very comparable talents, then how is taking Getzlaf over Bernier really silly?

NashisCash

Jan 25, 2006
Peterboreough
Buffalo87 said:
You make it sound like Getzlaf isn't in the same league as Bernier. Ok, so maybe I don't take Getzlaf over Bernier EASILY but if you give me a choice between the two I'm definitly taking Getzlaf. A player sees most of his ice time at even strength, so who has the advantage? Bernier plays with Marleau and Michalek compared to Getzlaf who plays with Perry and Fedoruk. So, yes Getzlaf has more opportunity on the PP, but Bernier has more opportunity at even strength. And if the two are very comparable talents, then how is taking Getzlaf over Bernier really silly?

I meant to say taking Getzlaf easily over Bernier is silly. They are both pretty much in the same boat, played poorly during their 1st call up and lit it up during their second. You just made it sound like Bernier isn't in Getzlaf's league, which I think is wrong. I think they have very similar upsides, with Getzlaf being a stronger defensive player and Bernier being a more physical player. I see a ppg in both of their futures.

Randall Graves*

This is a bad comparison. You have to go with Bernier, Getzlaf Vs Bernier would be alot closer.

Buffalo87

thehosers dot com
Mar 22, 2006
Rochester
NashisCash said:
I meant to say taking Getzlaf easily over Bernier is silly. They are both pretty much in the same boat, played poorly during their 1st call up and lit it up during their second. You just made it sound like Bernier isn't in Getzlaf's league, which I think is wrong. I think they have very similar upsides, with Getzlaf being a stronger defensive player and Bernier being a more physical player. I see a ppg in both of their futures.

You're right, I got a little carried away, I wouldn't take Getzlaf over Bernier easily but I would still take Getzlaf. As you said, they're very comparable talents.

Randall Graves*

NashisCash said:
Frankly I don't think you know what you're talking about. Bernier doesn't get that much ice time and he's on the second powerplay unit. With the 1st powerplay unit consisting of Cheechoo and Thornton, Bernier usually sees limited time at the end of each man advantage. Getzlaf plays the point on the 1st powerplay unit.

As for points per game, Bernier hardly put up any points over his first 10 games, and was 2nd in goals in the ENTIRE NHL in March. If you scratch off those first 10 games where he didn't get much ice time, he was pretty much a point per game player.

Getzlaf over Bernier is really silly, especially for the reasons you've given. The two are very comparable talents in my opinion.
Getzlaf had 32 points in the 41 games after his recall. And Getzlaf didn't get on the first PP unit til after the olympic break.

NashisCash

Jan 25, 2006
Peterboreough
RallyKiller said:
Getzlaf had 32 points in the 41 games after his recall. And Getzlaf didn't get on the first PP unit til after the olympic break.

That's still what, 2 months on the 1st unit.

Anyways, Bernier versus Perry is a no brainer, Getzlaf versus Bernier is a tough one. I would probably take Getzlaf though, better playmaker and better defensively.

sammyp

Dec 2, 2005
Laguna Niguel, CA
NashisCash said:
That's still what, 2 months on the 1st unit.

Anyways, Bernier versus Perry is a no brainer, Getzlaf versus Bernier is a tough one. I would probably take Getzlaf though, better playmaker and better defensively.

Getzlaf also plays 4th line minutes, compared to Bernier, who is on the 2nd line. Who gives a rats @ss if Getzlaf is on the first PP unit, and Bernier is on the 2nd, that's not a big difference in terms of ice time.

Also, I think you're wrong when you say Bernier will be more physical than Getzlaf. Getzlaf throws his weight around really well already and he goes into the dirty areas. Bernier, OTOH, doesn't use his size to his advantage (at least not yet). Getzlaf ALSO plays on the PK. He's just a lot more valuable than Berner IMHO.

Grizzly Adams

May 28, 2002
San Jose
76over39 said:
Bernier, OTOH, doesn't use his size to his advantage (at least not yet).
Your statement couldn't be further from the truth. Bernier knows how to check, you can ask some Vancouver fans about that (Ohlund was his last big hit that i've seen.) But not only that, he knows how to use his body to protect the puck. If you get a chance to watch a Sharks game you will realize that he is a monster in the corners and behind the net, he knows how to use his big frame to protect the puck and just out muscle defenders.

I hope this post shines some light on his abilities, because that comment of yours was just cut and dry wrong.

Blades of Glory

Troll Captain
Feb 12, 2006
California
76over39 said:
Getzlaf also plays 4th line minutes, compared to Bernier, who is on the 2nd line. Who gives a rats @ss if Getzlaf is on the first PP unit, and Bernier is on the 2nd, that's not a big difference in terms of ice time.

Also, I think you're wrong when you say Bernier will be more physical than Getzlaf. Getzlaf throws his weight around really well already and he goes into the dirty areas. Bernier, OTOH, doesn't use his size to his advantage (at least not yet). Getzlaf ALSO plays on the PK. He's just a lot more valuable than Berner IMHO.

Have you ever watched Bernier play? All he does on the ice is use his size to his advantage. He's impossible to take down, he normally runs over defenders that try to slow him down.

He's not a hitter, but he's almost immovable when he has the puck.

sammyp

Dec 2, 2005
Laguna Niguel, CA
spacelobster said:
Your statement couldn't be further from the truth. Bernier knows how to check, you can ask some Vancouver fans about that (Ohlund was his last big hit that i've seen.) But not only that, he knows how to use his body to protect the puck. If you get a chance to watch a Sharks game you will realize that he is a monster in the corners and behind the net, he knows how to use his big frame to protect the puck and just out muscle defenders.

I hope this post shines some light on his abilities, because that comment of yours was just cut and dry wrong.

I think that you'd agree that Bernier could use his size much better than he does at the present. Especially in his games vs. the Ducks, he has looked rather soft.

I'm not saying he plays like he's 5'10 or anything, but I think if he'd learn to use his size to dominate a game, he could be much more valuable than he is right now.

Pure Rock Fury*

76over39 said:
but I think if he'd learn to use his size to dominate a game, he could be much more valuable than he is right now.
He already does.

MeatTornado

I was born ready
Oct 25, 2004
Vancouver
Bernier.

Now, as some have said, Getzlaf vs Bernier for me would be a close one, I haven't seen enough of Getzlaf to really make my choice though.

Grizzly Adams

May 28, 2002
San Jose
76over39 said:
I think that you'd agree that Bernier could use his size much better than he does at the present. Especially in his games vs. the Ducks, he has looked rather soft.

I'm not saying he plays like he's 5'10 or anything, but I think if he'd learn to use his size to dominate a game, he could be much more valuable than he is right now.
Well to be quite frank, Getzlaf has looked like an invisible man in his games versus San Jose, but I would be a fool to say that he is of little value because he has looked rather unimpressive in the few games of his that I've watched. I know it's hard to accept other peoples opinions on this board with some of the skewed and distorted perspectives some people have, but you are going to have to take in some of it, unless you don't mind coming with outlandish conclusions like Steve Bernier doesn't use his size to his advantage.

OrrNumber4

Jul 25, 2002
However intentioned, the comments against Bernier should be taken as compliments. Bernier is a much stronger player than Getzlaf; right now, however, Getzlaf is more comfortable using his size. If Bernier used his size more, he would be an even more daunting monster. So basically, one could say we are only seeing the beginning of Bernier's physical domination :).

dmcccdmn

Dec 10, 2005
UC Davis
Bernier is a big reason for Marleau's success this season/playoffs. Where would the Sharks now if Bernier didn't get called up.

chris39bong

Bernier over Perry at the moment by a pretty fair margin. In the future, i'm not too sure. Perry is hard to judge in regard to the likelyhood of him reaching all of his potential.

I'd also take Bernier over Getzlaf right now by the slimmest of margins. In the future though, i think Getzlaf will be just as good offensively and physically, but better defensively than Bernier. Getzlaf also plays the more prominant position which makes him more valuable IMO.

McDonald19

Sep 9, 2003
California
gabpas said:
Bernier>>> Perry
Bernier> Getzlaf - better scorer more of a power forward = better all around player

actually Getzlaf is the better all around player. Better hitter, plays the point, great on faceoffs.

Sammy*

McDonald19 said:
lol...Getzlaf's all around game >>> Bernier's

Bernier is now better & will be far superiour in the future.
By all round game, you mean he takes face-offs & plays the point on the pp?
If thats your criteria for "all round", :biglaugh: :biglaugh: :biglaugh:

Buffalo87

thehosers dot com
Mar 22, 2006
Rochester
NashisCash said:
How would I be biased? I'm a leafs fan. That is just assinine, Getzlaf hasn't even been that physical in his time in the NHL.

Getzlaf has been physical but to say Bernier DESTROYS people I think may be a bit of an exaggeration.

Status
Not open for further replies.

Ad

Upcoming events

Ad

Ad