Perron's play in May

Aurinko

Apr 1, 2015
Finland
I think Perron and Gallant need to sit down and figure out the issue.

Sitting Perron in the 3rd line doesn't seem to be working. He's been talking in the past interviews like he is the top playmaker in this team (which I also believe he is), but after they moved him to 3rd line things haven't exactly looked great.

I'm hoping GG comes out with some changes. The 2nd line seems broken at the moment. The 3rd line is solid, but needs to start scoring. Whatever the changes are, I hope they include bringing Carpy back in the lineup.

Nevada Jones

I like hockey.
Jun 28, 2017
Somewhere in Oregon.
Doesn't Perron have a rep for disappearing during the playoffs at times? And I agree...would like to see Carpy draw back in for Tatar. Not giving up on the Sauce, thinking he still needs to find his place and line on this team, which may not happen until next season, assuming he's still here, of course. :D

CupInSIX

My cap runneth over
Jul 1, 2012
Alphaville
Personally, I'd like to see Peron moved back to the 2nd with Neal and move Tuch back down to 3rd. Both lines seemed to work better that way. I really don't know the answer on Tatar vs. Carpenter. Neither are really contributing.

I can dig this. Tuch was red hot but he's cooled down and Neal plays better at RW.

I would also take out Tatar and put in Lindberg.

ChanceVegas

Barney on a bender
Jan 3, 2018
Las Vegas, NV
Doesn't Perron have a rep for disappearing during the playoffs at times? And I agree...would like to see Carpy draw back in for Tatar. Not giving up on the Sauce, thinking he still needs to find his place and line on this team, which may not happen until next season, assuming he's still here, of course. :D

I'm hoping next season Tatar earns that contract. It just seems to be a chemistry issue. The guy is clearly one on our best skaters but he isn't getting the puck where he needs it and doesnt know where to put it for the other guys. Hes got the skill, the Jack Adams Award winner just needs to figure out where he fits best, and I think he will. Some guys may need to leave for that to happen and I think some will. :oops:

Reactions: Nevada Jones

Aurinko

Apr 1, 2015
Finland
I'm hoping next season Tatar earns that contract. It just seems to be a chemistry issue. The guy is clearly one on our best skaters but he isn't getting the puck where he needs it and doesnt know where to put it for the other guys. Hes got the skill, the Jack Adams Award winner just needs to figure out where he fits best, and I think he will. Some guys may need to leave for that to happen and I think some will. :oops:

1st line is basically sealed for the next season. There will be some sort of contract with the our "hidden" superstar and crowd favorite William Karlsson (contract can be anything from 6-9M$).
2nd line we are committed to Haula (high value/low cost playoff sniper: 3M$) - Tatar (5,5M$ quite expensive and hard to trade) and Perron (arguably our highly needed top2 playmaker).

Tatar and Neal can't be seen as a 3rd line players. Neal has good 2nd line chemistry in the offensive end, but the difference in speed can be seen as an issue. Neal at 30yo. is in his prime and a deal below 5M$ doesn't seem possible. I expect Neal to be out to free cap space for high cap WK and possibly a new elite D or a solid two-way forward addition to the team. Tuch is also considered to be a top6 forward, which makes things even more crowded (he should be a decently priced high value scorer).

Vegan Knight

Feb 16, 2018
1st line is basically sealed for the next season. There will be some sort of contract with the our "hidden" superstar and crowd favorite William Karlsson (contract can be anything from 6-9M$).
2nd line we are committed to Haula (high value/low cost playoff sniper: 3M$) - Tatar (5,5M$ quite expensive and hard to trade) and Perron (arguably our highly needed top2 playmaker).

Tatar and Neal can't be seen as a 3rd line players. Neal has good 2nd line chemistry in the offensive end, but the difference in speed can be seen as an issue. Neal at 30yo. is in his prime and a deal below 5M$ doesn't seem possible. I expect Neal to be out to free cap space for high cap WK and possibly a new elite D or a solid two-way forward addition to the team. Tuch is also considered to be a top6 forward, which makes things even more crowded (he should be a decently priced high value scorer).

Perron is going to want money also, is around the same age as Neal, less proven and his end of the season hasn't helped allay any fears of a regression from him.

Some of these players are going to regress, we just need to do our best to figure out which ones and cut bait on them now.

I would try to keep Neal and let Perron walk. Unless Neal's price is just way too high. Then you think about letting both go.

Neal scores clutch goals and Perron has tended to disappear in big moments. I would move Tuch up to the second line. Haula and Tuch can be playmakers.

Trade Tatar for whatever you can. I think he got like 35 points this season and has had multiple 45-55 point seasons in the past. 5.3 million is too much for him but somebody will have the cap room not to worry about it if the price is only a 2nd or 3rd round pick.

And you know what? It may work out for them. He doesn't fit here, for whatever reason, but someone will believe he can have a bounce back year with them and score 40-50 points again largely fulfilling his cap hit. Maybe he can but not here. It's best for both parties. Trade him early so we don't have to retain salary.

Reactions: Pirate Deadpool

CupInSIX

My cap runneth over
Jul 1, 2012
Alphaville
For what it's worth with an 80m cap ceiling there's enough cap room to re-sign both Neal and Perron to 5.9m deals, as well as re-sign RFAs (including giving Karlsson a huge contract). They'd have over 10 million in cap space after placing Clarkson on LTIR.

I feel it does need to be pointed out that Perron is represented by Alan Walsh, and Neal represented by Don Meehan.

6Kk75pC.jpg

You might be thinking that's a little low for Miller, but there's still wiggle room without trading Tatar. Then the year after 2m of Brassard's hit comes off and the year after that Clarkson's 5.25m contract is gone. For people wondering about Clarkson's cap hit, it affects the Knights spending during the offseason but once he is placed on LTIR in October, that 5.25m is free to be spent during the season (the same thing will happen the year after).

If Perron wants 30-35m, that's a tough pill to swallow given his concussion history.

Last edited:

Aurinko

Apr 1, 2015
Finland
For what it's worth with an 80m cap ceiling there's enough cap room to re-sign both Neal and Perron to 5.9m deals, as well as re-sign RFAs (including giving Karlsson a huge contract). They'd have over 10 million in cap space after placing Clarkson on LTIR.

I feel it does need to be pointed out that Perron is represented by Alan Walsh, and Neal represented by Don Meehan.

6Kk75pC.jpg

You might be thinking that's a little low for Miller, but there's still wiggle room without trading Tatar. Then the year after 2m of Brassard's hit comes off and the year after that Clarkson's 5.25m contract is gone. For people wondering about Clarkson's cap hit, it affects the Knights spending during the offseason but once he is placed on LTIR in October, that 5.25m is free to be spent during the season (the same thing will happen the year after).

If Perron wants 30-35m, that's a tough pill to swallow given his concussion history.

Looks like a very probable team you gathered in there!

Personally I would be picking up several low value - big potential players. Neal will probably have to be in the lineup... but I'd still rather see a wide selection of fast young forwards and fast young defenseman in our reserves instead of him. There also might be a conflict of interest between Gallant and McPhee, Gallant really doesn't seem to want to play Neal if we have a tight lead. He drew out Neal in the 5th game after he had taken that penalty and just kept playing lines with Carpenter, Bellamare and WK. 5M€-6M$+ are big price tags for players that the coach doesn't have a 100% trust on. He has said he wants any line to be able to go up against any line.

Vegan Knight

Feb 16, 2018

6Kk75pC.jpg

Putting so much money and term into Neal, Perron and Tatar could be a recipe for us to fall back to earth hard and for a long time.

We also won't give Karlsson 7.5 million based on one season. If you offered him 8 years, 50 million, he would find it very hard to say no to that kind of guaranteed money and that's only 6.25 million a year.

Also, we need an upgrade on defense one way or the other and super green Brannstrom wouldn't be that answer.

We overachieved this season, we shouldn't allow ourselves to get too enamored with that and be foolish going forward.

Aurinko

Apr 1, 2015
Finland
Putting so much money and term into Neal, Perron and Tatar could be a recipe for us to fall back to earth hard and for a long time.

We also won't give Karlsson 7.5 million based on one season. If you offered him 8 years, 50 million, he would find it very hard to say no to that kind of guaranteed money and that's only 6.25 million a year.

Also, we need an upgrade on defense one way or the other and super green Brannstrom wouldn't be that answer.

We overachieved this season, we shouldn't allow ourselves to get too enamored with that and be foolish going forward.

The over achievement part is exactly a 100% fear.

That being said, some don't rate our players that way. Some people see that WKarlsson has the offense of Jamie Benn (9,5M$), but without the ego and with obnoxiously good defensive capabilities.

Reactions: teravaineSAROS

CupInSIX

My cap runneth over
Jul 1, 2012
Alphaville

I agree they should tweak a few things without committing too much $$$. Yet ultimately you have to trust in the original plan for the 2019-20 season: build around young, speedy players that can move the puck well amass a lot of good prospects that will compete to be called up from the AHL. At the time I thought they pulled off a heck of a draft, and after this season I'm even more thrilled with it. Perron and Neal can still fit into this plan. Tatar isn't a fit but they can't just give him away (or worse, give incentive for a team to take him) and his 3 years remaining will come off the books in time to re-sign one or more of the bluechip prospects. Well, maybe they can if someone like Grabner takes a cheap 1 year deal like Chimp suggested.

Small things like re-signing Sbisa for a year could be the right move IMO. Saying they overachieved and will fall back to earth sounds almost like they don't deserve to be where they are, moreover it's the stuff people who don't watch this team say on the main boards.

Reactions: ChanceVegas

Vegan Knight

Feb 16, 2018
I agree they should tweak a few things without committing too much $$$. Yet ultimately you have to trust in the original plan for the 2019-20 season: build around young, speedy players that can move the puck well amass a lot of good prospects that will compete to be called up from the AHL. At the time I thought they pulled off a heck of a draft, and after this season I'm even more thrilled with it. Perron and Neal can still fit into this plan. Tatar isn't a fit but they can't just give him away (or worse, give incentive for a team to take him) and his 3 years remaining will come off the books in time to re-sign one or more of the bluechip prospects. Well, maybe they can if someone like Grabner takes a cheap 1 year deal like Chimp suggested.

Small things like re-signing Sbisa for a year could be the right move IMO. Saying they overachieved and will fall back to earth sounds almost like they don't deserve to be where they are, moreover it's the stuff people who don't watch this team say on the main boards.

It's the type of thing people who have watched hockey for a long time say. When you've seen teams reach highs and fall back quickly, you begin to understand it isn't that uncommon.

Why so defensive? They don't deserve this season's success because they overachieved? No, deserving their success and overachieving are not mutually exclusive.

I am all about being optimistic of the team but some people on here take it to the extreme of wearing rose colored glasses.

Suggesting we consider our moves carefully and don't sign everybody back expecting them all to continually replicate what are bound to be career years for some and be successful year after year is not "siding with those outsiders who don't watch us and think we're lucky to be where we are."

Beyond that, successful teams know when they've gotten the most out of someone and know when to bail out. They also know how to admit mistakes quickly and move on. They know when they have a negotiating advantage and how to press it to get a better deal for the team.

CupInSIX

My cap runneth over
Jul 1, 2012
Alphaville
It's not being defensive, it's just honesty.

What if Miller scores around 15 goals? What if Theodore puts up over 50 points? What if Schmidt gets even better? These young guys will continue to help strengthen areas the Knights were struggling with this year. Depth should continue to be a major strength for Vegas moving forward. The team battled through injuries and adversity, and with the right tweaks they should be able to battle through again and fight for 1st in the division next year.

We shouldn't expect an increase over 109 points but we should expect a better overall team. Anything over 100 points is gravy, and the year after is where the real depth and youth comes into play.

Last edited:

Vegas Mac

Golden Shellback
Jun 26, 2015
This take won't be popular, but I don't think either Perron or Neal are in the Knights' long-term plans. I'd rather see them sign their excellent young centerman and invest a bit in the blueline (current guys have played well but less lapses/requirements to depend on Fleury would be nice).

Vegan Knight

Feb 16, 2018
It's not being defensive, it's just honesty.

What if Miller scores around 15 goals? What if Theodore puts up over 50 points? What if Schmidt gets even better? These young guys will continue to help strengthen areas the Knights were struggling with this year. Depth should continue to be a major strength for Vegas moving forward. The team battled through injuries and adversity, and with the right tweaks they should be able to battle through again and fight for 1st in the division next year.

We shouldn't expect an increase over 109 points but we should expect a better overall team. Anything over 100 points is gravy, and the year after is where the real depth and youth comes into play.

I've not seen anyone suggest Miller or Theodore should leave unless someone like EK comes back but that would be an improvement at the position anyway.

The problem I have is committing 16 plus million dollars and three to five years to ALL of Perron, Neal and Tatar. That doesn't help you with depth. If you spend money just because you have it, then you watch your depth evaporate quickly. I think we choose between Neal and Perron and let the other two go.

Smith- Karlsson- Marchessault
Neal- Haula- Tuch

Top two lines. Don't need to be paying any other forward big money if we have faith in those six.

We have to try to move Tatar. And someone might see him as a solution for them. He isn't such a poor player, he just isn't working here.

Look at Carl Hagelin, he had an awful time in Anaheim with a brand new, bigger money deal then gets traded to a better situation for him in Pittsburgh after less than a year, I believe, and he's rejuvenated in a better fit that works out for all parties.

Last edited:

The Duck Knight

Henry, you're our only hope!
Feb 6, 2012
Given Mcphee's comments today Tatar probably isn't going anywhere. I think one of Neal or Perron will be back and the other will walk.

Vegan Knight

Feb 16, 2018
Given Mcphee's comments today Tatar probably isn't going anywhere. I think one of Neal or Perron will be back and the other will walk.

I don't expect him to throw the player under the bus in public.

Not only becuase it's not a classy thing to do but it also lowers any potential trade value and makes McPhee himself look terrible for making the trade.

I don't think this rules out shifting him out at the end of the season.

IceNeophyte

Nov 14, 2017
I don't expect him to throw the player under the bus in public.

Not only becuase it's not a classy thing to do but it also lowers any potential trade value and makes McPhee himself look terrible for making the trade.

I don't think this rules out shifting him out at the end of the season.

To wit: There was no criticism of Lipstick before he was shipped off.

Ad

Upcoming events

Ad

Ad

-->