TV: Perfect Strangers

GarbageGoal

Courage
Dec 1, 2005
RI
Ok it had to be no coincidence that Botox was the first ad on that video and then you see Bronson Pinchot now......

Osprey

Feb 18, 2005
It's so fantastic to see how great of friends and such fun people that they are. For some reason, I can totally imagine them as being grumpy people in real life, not friends at all (and not having spoken for decades) and not wanting anything to do with the silly show that they were on. I guess that that's because it seems all too common with TV stars (ex. Tina Louise has distanced herself from Gilligan's Island and Dawn Wells) and the friendship on Perfect Strangers just seems too perfect. It's great to see that they really are just as good of friends and love each other's company in real life. It feels re-affirming... I'm not sure of what... I guess that the seemingly too-good-to-be-true camaraderie on some TV shows (especially ones from this era) isn't always just an act.

Ozz

Oct 25, 2009
Hockeytown
I loved that show. A few years ago I did a complete series re-watch and, despite many things being dated, it was still laugh-out-loud funny. Not just things I remembered laughing at as a kid for nostalgia-sake, but some of the gags, clever bits, and simple slapstick were just great on all levels.

BP has definitely had some work done; I didn't think he looked bad at all, as recently as 5 or so years ago on his home remodeling show. MLB has looked the same for the past 15 years, best I can reckon.

Blackhawkswincup

RIP Fugu
Jun 24, 2007
Chicagoland
That male anchor came off as a #### and didn't seem to want to be part of interview

Those guys do seem to be real good friends even today ,, Not always case with many TV shows were you later on find out people hated each other

Lessavyfav

Aug 2, 2010
The perfect strangers fanclub has a fanatical presence on Twitter. Write a random joke or comment about the show and watch the likes and retweets flow.

Osprey

Feb 18, 2005
It still cracks me up to think of Balki pronouncing Larry Appleton as Law-ry A-pluh-tone.

I'm reading the Wikipedia page and never realized that the team that produced the show had previously produced Laverne & Shirley and Mork & Mindy. I also didn't know that Louie Anderson was originally cast as Larry and even filmed a pilot episode, but was determined to not be right for the role, perhaps because he was a comedian and they decided that Larry needed to be more the "straight man" in the pairing.

What happened to the other cast members? Seems stage only 2 cast members would show up.

It wasn't a real reunion. Lynn-Baker and Pinchot were just there to promote some kind of show that they're both doing. As for other characters, the two girlfriends appear to be alive, but didn't go on to do much else of note. The most notable success was probably the lady who played Harriette Winslow, the elevator operator at the newspaper, whose character was used to spin-off into Family Matters.

Last edited:

Oscar Acosta

Mar 19, 2011
I remember loving the show as a kid, for life of me couldn't tell you what the hell any episode was about except Wrigley Stadium in intro. I think.

Sydney Cosby

Apr 13, 2016
Horrible show.

Though I wouldn't be surprised if they made a movie on the premise since Hollywood doesn't believe in creativity or new ideas anymore

Ozz

Oct 25, 2009
Hockeytown
Horrible show.

Though I wouldn't be surprised if they made a movie on the premise since Hollywood doesn't believe in creativity or new ideas anymore

Don't be ridikalis.

...I'd watch that movie though (on TV eventually). Sure to suck, but most likely decent enough to endure once.

Naych_PHX

Hey now!
Jun 14, 2004
phoenix
I was born the same year this show premiered, and I actually remember it fondly but what happened now? How is this news? I always associate those Boboli pizza crusts in the store with this show though.

Ozz

Oct 25, 2009
Hockeytown
I was born the same year this show premiered, and I actually remember it fondly but what happened now? How is this news? I always associate those Boboli pizza crusts in the store with this show though.

ME TOO!!! :laugh: :laugh: Ever since I first heard of them, best I could place it would be around 88-89 @ 6-7 years old. Was Balki in a commercial for those, or was it just a very "Balki-ish" word that caused the correlation?

Ad

Upcoming events

Ad

Ad